VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 04:48:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you instill mental toughness in a team?  (Read 3712 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:47 EDT »

That is the single biggest flaw this team has IMHO. That will overcome a lot of shortcomings in talent.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:29:24 EDT »

IMO, mental toughness isn't something that can be instilled by a coach- it has to be recruited.  And you don't have to recruit a whole team full of tough guys, just a few that will serve as your leaders, and let their attitude filter down to the rest of the team.  Players don't fight for their coaches, they fight for their teammates.  When you have a whole team full of guys whose biggest fear is letting down the guy beside them, then you have something really special.  

Just look at bammer's QBs since Saban got there- they aren't the most talented, but they're gritty, tough guys, and the team seems to take on their personality.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:34:02 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:31:37 EDT »

IMO, mental toughness isn't something that can be instilled by a coach- it has to be recruited.  And you don't have to recruit a whole team full of tough guys, just a few that will serve as your leaders, and let their attitude filter down to the rest of the team.  Players don't fight for their coaches, they fight for their teammates.  When you have a whole team full of guys who's biggest fear is letting down the guy beside them, then you have something really special. 

Just look at bammer's QBs since Saban got there- they aren't the most talented, but they're gritty, tough guys, and the team seems to take on their personality. 

Exactly - and we have a guy with loads of talent with a "me" attitude.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:49 EDT »

IMO, mental toughness isn't something that can be instilled by a coach- it has to be recruited.  And you don't have to recruit a whole team full of tough guys, just a few that will serve as your leaders, and let their attitude filter down to the rest of the team.  Players don't fight for their coaches, they fight for their teammates.  When you have a whole team full of guys whose biggest fear is letting down the guy beside them, then you have something really special.  

Mental toughness CAN be instilled by a coach. Ask anyone who has ever been in the military and went through basic training by their coach (a drill sergeant) I know I've seen it and done it. Mental toughness is built by putting people in mentally and physically demanding situations under severe distress. The cream will rise to the top the rest fall to the bottom where they belong.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:51:20 EDT by Screaming Eagle Dad » Logged
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:10:11 EDT »

Mental toughness CAN be instilled by a coach. Ask anyone who has ever been in the military and wnet through basic training by their coach (a drill sergeant) I know I've seen it and done it. Mental toughness is built by putting people in mentally and physically demanding situations under severe distress. The cream will rise to the top the rest fall to the bottom where they belong.

Thought about that very thing when typing the question. Looks like the vast majority on this team would walk off. I am more than a little disgusted about the apathetic play. Bunch of front running pansies.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:38:24 EDT »

Mental toughness CAN be instilled by a coach. Ask anyone who has ever been in the military and went through basic training by their coach (a drill sergeant) I know I've seen it and done it. Mental toughness is built by putting people in mentally and physically demanding situations under severe distress. The cream will rise to the top the rest fall to the bottom where they belong.

Apples and oranges- and I'm a vet myself.  You're comparing football players to guys who are voluntarily signing up to put their lives on the line for their country.  They may not be mentally tough coming in, but they are certainly programmed to be receptive to it.  OTOH, most players at this level come from backgrounds where they've had everything handed to them through four years of high school, and often have grown up with little to no structure at home.  There's no comparison.

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:20 EDT »

Apples and oranges- and I'm a vet myself.  You're comparing football players to guys who are voluntarily signing up to put their lives on the line for their country.  They may not be mentally tough coming in, but they are certainly programmed to be receptive to it.  OTOH, most players at this level come from backgrounds where they've had everything handed to them through four years of high school, and often have grown up with little to no structure at home.  There's no comparison.

Tennessee recruits are no different than any other schools recruits. LSU and BAMA are mentally tough kids with coaches who demand and instill mental toughness. With all due respect, I disagree with you. Saban expects and demands nothing but the best and he gets it. I'd pay him what ever it took to get him here.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:56 EDT »

Yell. Cuss. use a lot of 4 letter words. That should do it.   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:26:29 EDT »

Simple actually. Push them physically more than they would be during a game, and keep pushing them more and more.

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: