VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 12:18:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The streak and this year's game  (Read 1123 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:54 EDT »

One thing that stands out to me about the streak is just how poorly we have performed during it.  In fairness, the gators had some pretty good teams while Urban was here.  It's very frustrating that when they finally fell off the pace the last two years, we were in no shape to take advantage.  And it feels that way this year also, but I think the gators are much improved this year and will go no worse than 9-3 and challenge for the East title.

But getting back to the streak....it's so bad, that Saturday was the first time SINCE 2004  that we scored a TD in the first quarter.  That's just shocking. I had no idea it was that bad. 

Further, even though our run game was inadequate, only yielding 80 yards and a 3.0 ypc average, both of those stats are the third best during the streak.  2009 (117 yards and 3.7 ypc) and 2008 (96 yards and 3.1 ypc) were slightly better.  in 2010 we only ran for 29, and last year we had MINUS nine. 

It's a funny thing though, because at half time we had most of those rushing yards (I think we were at 73), which is another way of saying what we all already know - that for the best part of three quarters we played well enough to win.  I guess that's progress of a sort, but it certainly doesn't matter unless we learn from it and fix whatever hit us in the 4th quarter Saturday. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: