VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 09:26:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Actual Improvement  (Read 3517 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:41:27 EDT »

I'm not thrilled after last Saturday's meltdown, but I will admit the following are positives.

1) The run game may not be blowing up, but getting Neal over 100 yards against UF was a real accomplishment. That would not have happened last year. On a related note Neal is securing the ball much better and is improving on hitting the hole.

2) The OL continues to pass protect really well.

3) A few positions (like LB) aren't deep, but otherwise we have the most talent we've had in at least four years. We're actually redshirting some guys I think will be pretty decent players. Two years ago they would have started.

4) The defense will probably be o.k. once we get through scheme change growing pains. Right now I'm happy with Sunseri.

5) We can field punts.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:11 EDT »

All of what you said is 100% true. It would something to build on had they not quit. I can stomach losing to a better team but I cannot stand quitting and I blame both the coaches and the players.

I love the Vols but this has gotten next to me.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:54 EDT »

All of what you said is 100% true. It would something to build on had they not quit. I can stomach losing to a better team but I cannot stand quitting and I blame both the coaches and the players.

I love the Vols but this has gotten next to me.

So far it's the same plot as previous Dooley years, but with some new cast members.

Compete for the first half vs. good teams, get blown up in the 2nd half.  I do think they quit just like they have in previous years.  And also just like in previous years it seems we have no "Plan B".  We come out in the 2nd doing exactly what we did in the first, seemingly thinking "we've just got to keep doing what we're doing and we've got this".  Thing is, the other team adjusts and pops a good play.  This happens and we go into full blown panic mode, coaches and players.  I expect this same scenario against the good teams left on our schedule.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:03 EDT »

I'm in no way arguing for changing the parameters I had at the start of the season (9 wins = another year, 8 wins = we'll see and 7 wins = thanks for playing). I'm just pointing out some major issues are no longer problems.

It seems we fell apart about 10 minutes later than we have in preceding years so I chalk that up to improved talent. Now I'm just looking for improved substitution pattens to keep said talent fresh.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:03 EDT »

I think we are still 2 good classes away from that not being an issue regardless of who the coach is. We still don't have any adequate #2's at several positions. That part is not Dooley's fault.  If they don't quit laying down every time momentum swings that is what will get him fired. I thought they had overcome it in the 2nd quarter(?) I think on a drive that was marred by flags on seemingly every play but yet they drove the field and scored. At least twice in the game we should have been up by 14 but didn't. That stuff has to stop if you want to beat a decent team.

I'm in no way arguing for changing the parameters I had at the start of the season (9 wins = another year, 8 wins = we'll see and 7 wins = thanks for playing). I'm just pointing out some major issues are no longer problems.

It seems we fell apart about 10 minutes later than we have in preceding years so I chalk that up to improved talent. Now I'm just looking for improved substitution pattens to keep said talent fresh.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:18 EDT »

You all make some good points.  Here are some of mine.

1.  Completely agree that we got much deeper into this game than last year, and that IS improvement.  The collapse is still totally unacceptable, but I see progress.

2. There was a mental collapse to be sure, but some of you IMO are not giving enough credit to the physical part of that. We still lack depth.

3. I am not as upset by the mental collapse, because i realize this team simply has not "been there before".  Remember that Bear saying?  "Act like you've been there before".  Well, they haven't!  When is the last time we were in position to beat a ranked, major rival in the latter stages of the game?  2009 under Kiffin vs. bama (IMO).  A LONG time ago, and with attrition most of those players are gone.  So I would expect maybe the first time we get there, we might choke.  No excuse for that, but to me the question is how do they handle this situation the NEXT TIME?  And I sincerely hope there is one, and soon.  If they screw the pooch again, then I will join the mob with torches.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:53 EDT »

I am hoping there is a breakthrough soon as well. Who is it going to be and when is the question.

Oh well I was a fan before, a fan now, and will be a fan then too. People just hate getting their hopes dashed time after time. The team could come together and have a great season still, I just have no faith it could happen and it pains me.

You all make some good points.  Here are some of mine.

1.  Completely agree that we got much deeper into this game than last year, and that IS improvement.  The collapse is still totally unacceptable, but I see progress.

2. There was a mental collapse to be sure, but some of you IMO are not giving enough credit to the physical part of that. We still lack depth.

3. I am not as upset by the mental collapse, because i realize this team simply has not "been there before".  Remember that Bear saying?  "Act like you've been there before".  Well, they haven't!  When is the last time we were in position to beat a ranked, major rival in the latter stages of the game?  2009 under Kiffin vs. bama (IMO).  A LONG time ago, and with attrition most of those players are gone.  So I would expect maybe the first time we get there, we might choke.  No excuse for that, but to me the question is how do they handle this situation the NEXT TIME?  And I sincerely hope there is one, and soon.  If they screw the pooch again, then I will join the mob with torches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: