VTTW Board Index
May 28, 2024, 05:08:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UCLA v Washington State  (Read 1496 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:16:40 EDT »

67-63. UCLA scored 29 4th quarter points. Pretty sure Leach wasn't the guy, either. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:24:18 EDT »

It was 35-17 at halftime. Then Washington State scored two touchdowns in the third quarter to go up 49-17. It looked for all the world like it was one more step towards a coaching search in Westwood. Then the inexplicable happened. There was just about 6 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter...meaning UCLA (which scored just 43 points in its first 3 games combined) scored 50 points in about 20 minutes. I've never seen anything like it. It had to be the biggest comeback in NCAA history.

(And Leach's team may have gotten beat, but Leach's team still scored 63 points. Give him some $$ to hire a top-notch defensive coordinator, tell him not to meddle with the defense, and bring him to Knoxville. I'm pretty sure he's head-and-shoulders above the coach we have now.)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:58:40 EDT »

Leach has taken over dead in the dump programs and turned them into 9-10-11 win teams with 2 and 3 star players. Leach has never had the resources that a SEC type school would give him.... I think his QB this year was a NO Star transfer from the City of San Fransisco University. He threw for 9 TD's...set a school record and threw for over 500 yards. The only way UCLA had a chance to win that game was WSU turning it over...and they did by the basket full.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:55:43 EDT »

It was 35-17 at halftime. Then Washington State scored two touchdowns in the third quarter to go up 49-17. It looked for all the world like it was one more step towards a coaching search in Westwood. Then the inexplicable happened. There was just about 6 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter...meaning UCLA (which scored just 43 points in its first 3 games combined) scored 50 points in about 20 minutes. I've never seen anything like it. It had to be the biggest comeback in NCAA history.

(And Leach's team may have gotten beat, but Leach's team still scored 63 points. Give him some $$ to hire a top-notch defensive coordinator, tell him not to meddle with the defense, and bring him to Knoxville. I'm pretty sure he's head-and-shoulders above the coach we have now.)

Course the other way to look at it is Chip Kelly is certainly a very seasoned head coach with a proven track record 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 01:11:19 EDT »

Leach has taken over dead in the dump programs and turned them into 9-10-11 win teams with 2 and 3 star players. Leach has never had the resources that a SEC type school would give him.... I think his QB this year was a NO Star transfer from the City of San Fransisco University. He threw for 9 TD's...set a school record and threw for over 500 yards. The only way UCLA had a chance to win that game was WSU turning it over...and they did by the basket full.

Well put. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 01:12:07 EDT »

Man I saw the halftime score and assumed that one was over.  What a crazy comeback by UCLA.  If there is a replay, I may try to catch the last 21 minutes.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 06:03:49 EDT »

Don't you really think SEC defenses are too physical for an air raid coach to be super successful? Wouldn't those offenses be common in the SEC if they were that good? That's why they work well in the Big 12 and PAC 12. How many NC's have  true air raid teams won.? Why do air raid teams almost never have physical defenses on their side? 

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 10:28:54 EDT »

Don't you really think SEC defenses are too physical for an air raid coach to be super successful? Wouldn't those offenses be common in the SEC if they were that good? That's why they work well in the Big 12 and PAC 12. How many NC's have  true air raid teams won.? Why do air raid teams almost never have physical defenses on their side? 

Is Tua doing air raid?  What about Joe Burrow?  Seems to be working pretty well.  I am anxious to see the over in the bammer-LSU game.  If it's under sixty, I'd bet the house.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: