VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 03:56:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyams said Dooley offered DC job to Chavis  (Read 12308 times)
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:14 EST »

and was turned down.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:45:06 EST »

I think that ship has sailed. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:54 EST »

I'd like to see that corroborated by other sources before I believe it.  Hyams, you know.

Not that I would be surprised.  But I don't see the point of Dooley even asking.. As Jethro so eloquently put it, there's a better chance of Mariah sitting on Dooley's face.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:33:00 EST »

I'd like to see that corroborated by other sources before I believe it.  Hyams, you know.

Not that I would be surprised.  But I don't see the point of Dooley even asking.. As Jethro so eloquently put it, there's a better chance of Mariah sitting on Dooley's face.

You gotta ask.
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:34:32 EST »

and was turned down.

LOL, when he was DC here last time, most (maybe not most but many?) wanted him fired every year.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:37:53 EST »

LOL, when he was DC here last time, most (maybe not most but many?) wanted him fired every year.

"Many" is fair.

Tennessee fans were spoiled. That's why it shocks me to see people expecting less than 9 wins and being OK with it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:38:35 EST »

You gotta ask.

Why?  

You recall that when Fulmer was fired, everyone wanted a complete change of regime... complete housecleaning.  Out with all Fulmer's boys.  So why would we now want Chavis back?  Like Jethro said, half the time people were clamoring for Chavis's head.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole Fulmer thing totally, but even I don't really want Chavis back.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:42:25 EST »

Why?  

You recall that when Fulmer was fired, everyone wanted a complete change of regime... complete housecleaning.  Out with all Fulmer's boys.  So why would we now want Chavis back?  Like Jethro said, half the time people were clamoring for Chavis's head.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole Fulmer thing totally, but even I don't really want Chavis back.

I think all that worked out for the best and while he's obviously a great coordinator, we need somebody different than the old regime.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:10:57 EST »

"Many" is fair.

Tennessee fans were spoiled. That's why it shocks me to see people expecting less than 9 wins and being OK with it.

I think Dooley is no different than hiring Dave Clawson and i want him gone, since that will not happen this year(yet) I would be excited about UT hiring either Steele or Shannon...............Hell I would even feel much better if Chavis was coming back..........................I just need something to get me excited about UT Football again so that I can put my orange colored glasses back on.   

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:21:58 EST »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls11/story/_/id/7427150/john-chavis-gives-lsu-tigers-edge-bcs-championship

Go Big Orange.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:32:12 EST »

Why?  

I was one of those who wanted a complete housecleaning when Fulmer was fired. I thought Chavis was a pretty decent coordinator, but like a lot of other UT fans I hated the "3rd & Chavis" mishaps. What I see now is that Fulmer had Chavis under his thumb a little bit, whereas Miles has given him more freedom with the defense. As a result, Chavis has gone from being just a pretty good DC to being perhaps the best DC in the nation. At least all that is my take on it.

What are the chances Chavis would come back to Tennessee? Slim to none. Tennessee sent his good friend and longtime boss packing, and he feels like that was handled unjustly. He then wanted to stay on at UT but wasn't given that opportunity. So, probably feeling pretty slighted, he goes off and lands one of the best DC jobs in the nation. Then UT comes crawling back to him, wanting him to come on board amid a situation that is very unstable at best? No way that's going to happen. But I still think you DO have to ask, because I imagine a piece of his heart is still in Knoxville and who knows what he will say. Very unlikely, sure, but the AD and the coach who resulted in him no longer being here are gone.

Considering the source, I have my doubts that Dooley offered him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:46 EST »

I was one of those who wanted a complete housecleaning when Fulmer was fired. I thought Chavis was a pretty decent coordinator, but like a lot of other UT fans I hated the "3rd & Chavis" mishaps. What I see now is that Fulmer had Chavis under his thumb a little bit, whereas Miles has given him more freedom with the defense. As a result, Chavis has gone from being just a pretty good DC to being perhaps the best DC in the nation. At least all that is my take on it.

Chavis said in an interview this year that the talent he has right now at LSU is the best he has ever had, period.  LSU has 5 DBs that will play on Sunday and be top draft picks.  We never had that at UT, ever.  So IMO, this is why Chavis is doing so well.  He's a good, even great coordinator but LSU is pretty much an NFL D playing the college game. 

Did Fulmer hold Chavis back a bit?  It's possible, but Chief himself says this is the most talent he's ever had.  I would tend to point to the talent.

Agree that he would never come back here, except possibly as HC and I don't see that happening.  If he is angry at anyone it woudld be Hamitlon and Hamilton is gone.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:00:01 EST »

Why?  

Well, I think Mariah looks pretty hot and she might even want to sit!   

G
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:56 EST »

Hubbs says that Hyams' report is not true per his sources which apparently include Chavis.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:44:50 EST »

Fulmer deserved to be fired. Period, end of story. And if Dooley does not improve next year, he deserves to be fired.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:24 EST »

Hubbs says that Hyams' report is not true per his sources which apparently include Chavis.

I'm shocked. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 10:35:54 EST »

Sounds just like something Hyams would do: "Hey look at me, I'm still relevant!"
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 10:52:56 EST »

Sounds just like something Hyams would do: "Hey look at me, I'm still relevant!"

Hyams was so connected to and friendly with Fulmer and his staff that one would think he could just pick up the phone and give Chavis a call and find out what's happening.

But, then again, it was Hyams who was going double-barrels with the Cutcliffe-to-Tennessee reports two years ago.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:52 EST »

Hyams was so connected to and friendly with Fulmer and his staff that one would think he could just pick up the phone and give Chavis a call and find out what's happening.

But, then again, it was Hyams who was going double-barrels with the Cutcliffe-to-Tennessee reports two years ago.

Somebody called him on that on Twitter yesterday and he said that he didn't report Cutcliffe-to-Tennessee and the person saying it was either a liar or an idiot.

I am not a fan of Hyams. Or Rucker. Everybody else in Knox is OK to good in my book, even John Adams.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:12:58 EST »

Somebody called him on that on Twitter yesterday and he said that he didn't report Cutcliffe-to-Tennessee and the person saying it was either a liar or an idiot.

I am not a fan of Hyams. Or Rucker. Everybody else in Knox is OK to good in my book, even John Adams.

Actually that's correct. I was remembering incorrectly. When Chris Low and Brent Hubbs were reporting that Hyams was the lead candidate on 1/14/10, WBIR TV in Knoxville jumped on it and reported that it was a done deal and Cutcliffe was coming to Tennessee. Hyams was the one who reported that it wasn't true - for the time being at least - and was the one who said that Tennessee was interviewing a "mystery candidate" (which, of course, turned out to be Derek Dooley). I remember now that at the time Hyams' report gave me hope that it wouldn't be Cutcliffe because the two of them should've been closely enough connected for Hyams to know.

Anyway. Add Basilio to your list and I would agree with it.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 05:17:55 EST »

Speaking of Hyams... I had this exchange with Matt Hayes from Sporting News earlier...

Matt Hayes @Matt_HayesSN 4h
Chavis turned down $1 million a year to return to Tennessee tnne.ws/zy29yG (this was retweeted on my timeline by Dennis Dodd)

Jeff Owen @jeffowen8657 4h
@Matt_HayesSN @dennisdoddcbs Brent Hubbs of VolQuest.com refutes this

Matt Hayes @Matt_HayesSN Close
@jeffowen8657 No one knows UT like Jimmy Hyams.
 Hide conversation
6:15 PM - 6 Jan 12 via TweetDeck · Details
 Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Jeff Owen @jeffowen8657 3h
@Matt_HayesSN not since fulmer left. Hyams hasn't broken a UT story in 4 years. Ask hubbs about chavis, he has sources on both sides

Why do people think Hyams is GOOD??

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 05:25:22 EST »

'Cause he talks a good game. My father listens to the SportsAnimal every day. He takes anything Hyams says as the gospel, and gets downright upset when I criticize Hyams.

I've never really liked Hyams and I can't really put a finger on why. I think it's because he's so smug when he talks, as if his opinion is automatically the only one that matters, and everyone else's opinion is beneath his.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 06:23:34 EST »

Actually that's correct. I was remembering incorrectly. When Chris Low and Brent Hubbs were reporting that Hyams was the lead candidate on 1/14/10,

Hyams is a candidate for DC?  Man, we really ARE screwed.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:52 EST »

Anyway. Add Basilio to your list and I would agree with it.

I forgot another one who should be on your list: Mike Griffith...the biggest Fulmer apologist in the Ktown media.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 02:42:29 EST »

I forgot another one who should be on your list: Mike Griffith...the biggest Fulmer apologist in the Ktown media.

YES!  I was about to post that very thing in this thread and forgot to.  His agenda is so obvious it's pathetic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: