VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 12:28:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I agree with the statement "a coach is only as good as his qb". Football is  (Read 1750 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:41:37 EST »

more of a qb driven sport than it ever has been. NFL or college. So I hope Jones recruits a great one real quick. I just don't see one on the current roster. It says a lot that as bad as Worley was/is that none of the current young qb's could really beat him out of the postion. That tells me that none of them will ever be exceptional. I just hope there is room on the scolly list to recruit a couple more. Not many of the current top 10 teams have a mediocre qb. Of course finding a really good one is tough and takes some luck as well.

volsboyinsodak
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:06:38 EST »

more of a qb driven sport than it ever has been. NFL or college. So I hope Jones recruits a great one real quick. I just don't see one on the current roster. It says a lot that as bad as Worley was/is that none of the current young qb's could really beat him out of the postion. That tells me that none of them will ever be exceptional. I just hope there is room on the scolly list to recruit a couple more. Not many of the current top 10 teams have a mediocre qb. Of course finding a really good one is tough and takes some luck as well.

But good coaching and the right fit to the offense can make a decent QB a very good or great one, and at the very least a winning one.  I don't think talent is the reason the younger QBs could not overtake Worley.  I'm convinced it was learning and effectively running the offense and avoiding mistakes.  Worley did that well against UGA and USC despite his, at times, lousy skills.  Perhaps Dobbs or Ferguson will be well coached, grow into the job, and become great.  Only time will tell.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:41 EST »

But good coaching and the right fit to the offense can make a decent QB a very good or great one, and at the very least a winning one. 

Perfect example: Alabama. Saban has won 3 NCs there with good, not great, QBs.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:12:59 EST »

Yep.  It's all about matching a QB with a system.  If a QB can't execute according to scheme and game plan then it doesn't matter how talented he is. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: