VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 11:07:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HVAC Question  (Read 3080 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:11:47 EDT »

This has nothing to do with Butch, Jalen, Debord, or anyone involved with UT football.

I'm looking at buying an older house with one major flaw: the gas furnace doesn't vent properly. Since there are issues with the AC, I'm pondering throwing in a new HVAC unit, but doing so would require ductwork to be added.

Does anyone know how to ballpark estimates on such work (by square foot, etc.)? I shall return to complaining about all manner of things in future posts. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:53:24 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:49:40 EDT »

Put in a window AC unit and a wood-burning stove, and spend the $$ you save on a lifetime subscription to Volquest so you can keep up with how far along our talks are with Bobby Petrino (and get the inside scoop on how we're going to pull a coup by bringing Peyton back as a coach).
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:11 EDT »

Put in a window AC unit and a wood-burning stove, and spend the $$ you save on a lifetime subscription to Volquest so you can keep up with how far along our talks are with Bobby Petrino (and get the inside scoop on how we're going to pull a coup by bringing Peyton back as a coach).
Don't get to keep up with the latest on Hurd's mom ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:43 EDT »

Thanks for pointing out substantial holes in my plan Creek and Pirate. I am now planning to live in a tent, and use the money saved to stay abreast of scuttlebutt pertaining to all actions of past and present UT players, coaches, and their families.

Wait, wouldn't Twitter provide all the accuracy in a more succinct format?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:24:51 EDT »

I put a new HVAC unit in my home a few years back.  My house is fairly small (about 1000 sq feet) and my best estimate was for 3500.  I already had duct work but the guy was still under the house banging away all day.  I could have paid 1500$ more for an Energy Star unit which came with a 1500$ tax discount but I demurred.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 05:43:02 EDT »

This has nothing to do with Butch, Jalen, Debord, or anyone involved with UT football.

I'm looking at buying an older house with one major flaw: the gas furnace doesn't vent properly. Since there are issues with the AC, I'm pondering throwing in a new HVAC unit, but doing so would require ductwork to be added.

Does anyone know how to ballpark estimates on such work (by square foot, etc.)? I shall return to complaining about all manner of things in future posts. Thanks for your help.

For what it's worth, I just replaced my system a year ago. I was quoted $10K to have all of the duct work replaced (2,800 sq/ft house), but that included a tear out of the existing ductwork. I told them to pound sand, they were out to gouge. My duct had a few holes in, but the main trunk is metal and it was easily repaired by the company I picked for $150, and they just used some mastic. I had a new system installed, with some high speed infrared light air purifier included, for $8500, so shop around a bit

11B4PJ3F7
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 09:30:27 EDT »

Under no circumstances buy a Coleman or Goodman unit unless you can afford to replace it within a couple of years. Buy a name brand unit from an established HVAC contractor. If you get a very high efficiency gas unit, you can vent with CPVC pipe and not require double wall vent pipe. Go with a two-speed gas furnace/AC system if possible because it will run mostly at lower speed to save you money. I did not buy the highest efficiency one, but my gas heating bill reduced 60% or more. My cooling bill dropped 50%.

IMO if you have metal main trunk line that is not horribly undersized, you will only need new duct to transition from new unit to trunk line. Buy a good filter unit that does not use monthly throw-away fiberglas filter (a waste of money). IMO do not let anyone talk you into a humidifier unless you can clean the duct for mold yourself.

Without knowing anything about your house or location, look to spend $7,000 to $9,000 installed for a unit.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:53:44 EDT »

Thanks a ton for the info! Y'all have been immensely helpful. I have never had to replace a system before, and Google provided information overload.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: