VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 01:27:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk UT and FL strategy  (Read 5478 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:26:33 EDT »

What do you think the strategies will be?

Vols:

Offense: IMO much of the same. Passing game will rule, mix in the run. Probably run a couple of end arounds. Some I-formation play action. Couple of bombs (Did not throw a bomb vs G State).

Defense: Sell out to stop the run, make Driskel beat us with the pass. Get some pressure on him from the LBs and DEs. He looks like he has trouble going through his progressions.

Gators:

Offense: Run the ball, mix in some misdirection, screens, and slants. Try a couple of deep balls to test the CBs and safeties.

Defense: Man up on the WRs, pressure Bray.

I think the Gators will have problems pressuring Bray - The OL is excellent at protection. I think Vols run enough to be able to throw the ball. Gators will be able to run the ball ok if Gillislee can play (He is questionable as of now). However, I don't think they will do very well vs our receivers.

Could be a very interesting game. I see a 24-20 type of game, Vols winning.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:51:32 EDT »

Vols:

Offense: IMO much of the same. Passing game will rule, mix in the run. Probably run a couple of end arounds. Some I-formation play action. Couple of bombs (Did not throw a bomb vs G State).

Defense: Sell out to stop the run, make Driskel beat us with the pass. Get some pressure on him from the LBs and DEs. He looks like he has trouble going through his progressions.

Agree with both. I don't think we see anything much different on offense than we've seen so far . . . UF had a very hard time covering our receivers last year and I think we probably attack there again. I don't think we will be able to run the ball effectively early in the same, and I just hope we can pick up short yardage on the ground when we need it.

Obviously Gillislee is the big threat to our defense, so we have to keep him contained at all times. I do think they have a few guys that could make a play in space, but if we can be disruptive I think Driskel will struggle to get the ball to them. I think the play of our LBs will be critical.

Gators:

Offense: Run the ball, mix in some misdirection, screens, and slants. Try a couple of deep balls to test the CBs and safeties.

Defense: Man up on the WRs, pressure Bray.

Offensively, I think they try to get some kind of passing game going. After what we saw against GSU, I think they will try to pick on the middle of the field and see if they can't get a big play or two out of it. Defensively, they definitely have to try to get pressure on Bray. Our OL has kept him pretty clean to this point but I'd expect him to take a few hits in this game.

I think the Gators will have problems pressuring Bray - The OL is excellent at protection. I think Vols run enough to be able to throw the ball. Gators will be able to run the ball ok if Gillislee can play (He is questionable as of now). However, I don't think they will do very well vs our receivers.

Could be a very interesting game. I see a 24-20 type of game, Vols winning.

I think the big key to this game is reaction to adversity. UF has the athletes to make some plays but I don't think they are consistent enough on offense to put up enough points unless we let them rattle us. When UF makes a big play on offense or especially on defense-- and they will-- we need to have the confidence to stay cool and respond. This is where I really like Tyler's demeanor in a game like this; I think he has it in him to just stay the course and keep going.

I feel pretty good about the game, but I'm slightly less confident than I was at this time last week . . . just because UF showed some guts by toughing out a win at A&M, and we showed more weakness against GSU than I expected.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:57:47 EDT »

I understand that Muschamp has already informed Matt Elam that Justin Hunter kicked his dog, and CP called his mama a fat ho.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:00:31 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:42 EDT »

One thing that will be interesting to see is how we handle their running game.  This will be the first time this season that we've seen a conventional, between-the-tackles running game- the kind of offense that our D was built to stop.  Now we'll see if our revamped DL is all it's cracked up to be.  If we can stop the run, they don't do anything through the air that scares me.  Oh, I'm sure they'll beat us for a big play or two, but they're not going to make a living with the pass.  

This may be the rare UT-UF game where the team with the most rushing yards actually loses.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:40 EDT »

Gillislee has a groin pull that makes him questionable for the game. If so, we will see more of freshman Mack brown.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:22:23 EDT »

IMHO uf will play back maybe even play nickel and make us try to run or throw short and test Bray's patience. I don't think they can take many chances to leave their corners manned up on Hunter and Patterson. uf will employ the same strategy we use to use years ago. Limit big plays and shorten the game. We will have an opportunity to run the ball against 6 or 7 in the box. If we still can't run then our chances of winning go waaay down.

IMHO our defense will have to control the uf run game and when they pass we have to keep Driskell in the pocket. Can't give up any 1st downs on qb scrambles. If we do that I don't know that he can beat us. If he does then more power to him but he would have to do it.

Our kickers just have to perform better period. They either are not very talented or have no dedication to their craft.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:39 EDT »

Gillislee has a groin pull that makes him questionable for the game. If so, we will see more of freshman Mack brown.

Brown looked pretty bad on Sat.  A big step down IMO. 

OTOH, the gators might be "gaming" the injury and Gillesie is actually good to go.  I guess we will find out.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:31:15 EDT »

He definitely injured his groin it is just a matter of how bad. He grabbed it 1st thing after that td run.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 04:34:29 EDT »

Just read where they moved DeBose, their deep threat WR to RB. Interesting.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 04:40:28 EDT »

Just read where they moved DeBose, their deep threat WR to RB. Interesting.

He's built a bit like a running back and is a good athlete. Was that announced this morning, or just a rumor? Perhaps they are trying to get him more involved, or perhaps this would be an indicator that Gillislee might have trouble going.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:12 EDT »

He's built a bit like a running back and is a good athlete. Was that announced this morning, or just a rumor? Perhaps they are trying to get him more involved, or perhaps this would be an indicator that Gillislee might have trouble going.

I read it on one of their boards.

JGATOR
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 07:08:13 EDT »

BDV, the Gators suck running between the tackles. Get UF in 3rd and short and you have them right where you want them. Most of the yards on the ground have been sweeps and draws. Driskell has a great arm and his decision making is not bad. Still needs to throw the ball away when no one is open. Big thing was no turnovers against a pretty good defense. I think UF opens the offense up a little more this week and throws in some more wrinkles you have not seen. This Gator offense is a work in progress. Gillislee will play but how much and how effective is a different question. Whoever said Brown is a big step down is wrong. A step down? Yes but not as big as you think. He had some great runs to eat clock and close out the game last Saturday.

The big problem for UF is on defense. The problem is injuries. A lot of dings against aTm including Jelani Jenkins who is out at least this week. The good news is the back ups came in and played well. However, some of the younger DBs have not seen a passer like Bray yet. However, they are very talented.

Special teams are a big plus for UF. Christie with his field flipping punts and Sturgis with kickoffs and field goals could be the difference in this game.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:26 EDT »

I figure UT still has wrinkles that UF hasn't seen either.  I understand your other corners are good, but they haven't ever played with two playmakers like we have at WR, not to mention a great TE.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:30 EDT »

IMO it all comes down to the offensive line. We're going to have to be able to run the ball some, at least effectively enough to keep the UF D honest. If we can't run, we won't win. Plus the obvious issue of protecting Bray, which they've have done an excellent job so far, but UF is a definite step up on class. I'm also worried that we have a disadvantage in the kicking game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: