VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 10:33:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate to post another death notice, Col. George "Bud" Day died ................  (Read 2258 times)
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:34:24 EDT »

Saturday at his home in Shalimar,FL. He received the Medal of Honor for his actions in Vietnam. John McCain said he wanted to die when they threw him in Day's cell in Vietnam' s POW camp "The Plantation" , but Day refused to let him give up. He bathed him,fed him, and kept hope alive for all POW's even when singing the national anthem with a rifle pointed at their faces. Col. Day served as a Marine fighting in the Pacific in WWII and as a USAF pilot in Korea and Vietnam. I could go on and on about him because I know him. He used to visit us on base from time to time. He even remembered my name. He is personally responsible for many of the benefits I have today. I encourage you to Google his name and read about him.  Godspeed "Misty 01". Thank you for all you have done for us before and after your military career. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:15 EDT »

Sounds like an impressive individual. Sorry for your loss.

Read some about him, he was an impressive person. He has earned his rest.   
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:21:41 EDT »

retirees even when they wated to just give us to medicare at 65 and forget us. He made it his life's work to make sure he did his best to keep our benefits alive and even improve them. He was a giant to me and influenced my life greatly. I sat next to him at the hospital a few times and we would talk. To say he was wise and humble are an understatement. Thank you again.
101stDad
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:52 EDT »

Yep.  Learned about his death from Gary Sinise's website.  Day is the definition of a true American Patriot. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:23:25 EDT »

I was fortunate to meet and speak briefly with the Col several years ago.  A very, very impressive individual.  A warrior and a gentleman in every sense of the word.

While is TRICARE battle was not a complete win one of his legacies was the care provided to our elder retirees (something I will appreciate in the not so distant future).

God speed Sir, you will be missed!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:20:58 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:08 EDT »

I didn't even know his name, yet I benefit from his Tricare for life victory every time I get a prescription filled. A belated Thank You Sir, for your service and your care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: