VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 02:21:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, apparently Basilio's last day is July 12  (Read 12515 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:43:55 EDT »

Rumored to be replace by Hooker.     
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:53:37 EDT »

I don't live there anymore, but I'll bet he turns up somewhere else on Knoxville radio.  Hasn't he been bouncing from station to station for like 20 years?

101stDad
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:20:37 EDT »

I don't live there anymore, but I'll bet he turns up somewhere else on Knoxville radio.  Hasn't he been bouncing from station to station for like 20 years?

He's been at 1180 for 8 years, now. 

He'll be back on the air in the Knoxville market. 

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:13:02 EDT »

He will still be posting on the internet. I guess we cannot get rid of him. Although I did not listen to him, some find his wise@## approach acceptable. He has never impressed me at all. He will find a job somewhere.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:20 EDT »

I'm sure Tony is a nice enough guy. I also think it's a shame for TSR to lose the kind of inertia he had in Knoxville sports talk, as I'm sure that drew listeners to TSR. So it seems like it could be questionable from a business standpoint.

But I won't miss him. He's a character and he has a number of characters on the show and among his callers, but I also think he likes to make shizzle up to get people talking and stir controversy. He's personally responsible, from what I can tell, for the animosity toward Susan Martin that has been growing and growing among the fanbase, and there's been no evidence presented whatsoever that backs up any of his claims. I'm sorry, but stirring the shizzle like that is just stupid and people are personally affected by it.

I also think he's not particularly strong in actual sports talk anymore.

As for him being replaced by Hooker, that would surprise me . . . isn't he still working for ESPN? I think he'd do a good job though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:10:45 EDT »

As for him being replaced by Hooker, that would surprise me . . . isn't he still working for ESPN? I think he'd do a good job though.

Everything I am hearing indicates that to be the case.  

Hooker works for ESPN.com as a writer, primarily covering recruiting.  Adding a radio show is a natural progression for those guys.  Many of them do it.  

And an edit:

I make no bones about it that Tony is a friend and I respect the way he has taken charge of his own career by buying blocks of time and producing and owning his own shows instead of going the traditional radio route.  I don't always agree with him - and the Susan Martin thing is one of those areas - but I certainly do respect his go getter attitude and work ethic.  He works hard at what he does, and whether you choose to believe it or not he does due diligence on his stories and his opinions.  He's been, and will continue to be, a terrific alternative to traditional sports talk radio in this town. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:16:04 EDT by 101stDad » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:45 EDT »

Everything I am hearing indicates that to be the case. 

Hooker works for ESPN.com as a writer, primarily covering recruiting.  Adding a radio show is a natural progression for those guys.  Many of them do it. 

I welcome it if that's the case. I think he'll be more on-topic and bring more information to the table than Basilio does. I rarely get to listen during the lunch hours though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:24:24 EDT »

And an edit:

I make no bones about it that Tony is a friend and I respect the way he has taken charge of his own career by buying blocks of time and producing and owning his own shows instead of going the traditional radio route.  I don't always agree with him - and the Susan Martin thing is one of those areas - but I certainly do respect his go getter attitude and work ethic.  He works hard at what he does, and whether you choose to believe it or not he does due diligence on his stories and his opinions.  He's been, and will continue to be, a terrific alternative to traditional sports talk radio in this town. 

Agree with every word of this. He's to be admired from the standpoint of perseverance and hard work, and for appreciating the value of an alternative voice. His contributions to Knoxville sports radio should not be underestimated. He just doesn't suit my taste anymore and I actually thought his program was a lot better about a decade ago.

101stDad
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:54:29 EDT »

I welcome it if that's the case. I think he'll be more on-topic and bring more information to the table than Basilio does. I rarely get to listen during the lunch hours though.

I understand that point of view.  It just all depends on the reasons one is listening to talk radio or sports talk radio.

You listen for information.  I listen for the entertainment value.  Same with the political talk radio that I listen to.  It's about entertainment to me. 

Not saying that either of us are more right or more wrong - it's just a different angle on what most perceive as the same product, when in actuality they are very much different.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:01:51 EDT »

I understand that point of view.  It just all depends on the reasons one is listening to talk radio or sports talk radio.

You listen for information.  I listen for the entertainment value.  Same with the political talk radio that I listen to.  It's about entertainment to me. 

Not saying that either of us are more right or more wrong - it's just a different angle on what most perceive as the same product, when in actuality they are very much different.

I listen for a few reasons, but the biggest one is to hear real discussion. Break down our roster . . . talk about what to expect from Bajakian's offense . . . give some thoughts on incoming recruits . . . talk about expectations . . . etc.

So I'm not necessarily looking for news or information that in all likelihood I already know. I want to hear discussion and get other perspectives. Part of that is entertainment, too . . . but much of what I'm looking for is real talk about sports. I feel Basilio falls short on that these days.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:07 EDT »

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of Basilio. Too many times he has put out information that was totally false and created misperceptions that lingered and caused real damage to the program, IMO. I'm not sure if he was intentionally pushing info he knew was shaky just to try and keep things stirred up or if he's just guilty of being a little overzealous. The end result is the same, however.

Since I don't listen and only occasionally read his blog, I'm completely in the dark about why his show is being canceled. Hopefully it wasn't related to his gay tirade a few weeks ago.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:36:21 EDT »

Since I don't listen and only occasionally read his blog, I'm completely in the dark about why his show is being canceled. Hopefully it wasn't related to his gay tirade a few weeks ago.

If it's anything besides business I'd think it would be the Ainge/Small Mike situation from last week that may have done it.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 05:38:52 EDT »

If it's anything besides business I'd think it would be the Ainge/Small Mike situation from last week that may have done it.

small mike is a complete turd and should be removed from all radio for the good of mankind.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 06:07:12 EDT »

What was the Ainge/small mike thing? Have not heard about it.   I live in Nashville and dont ever listen to basillio....but the times I have, I have not cared much for him.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:33:06 EDT »

What was the Ainge/small mike thing? Have not heard about it.   I live in Nashville and dont ever listen to basillio....but the times I have, I have not cared much for him.

I didn't hear any of it. But my understanding is that Erik Ainge and Clay Travis had a little Twitter fight and that Small Mike/Cattleman/Jim Copeland called Travis's Nashville show and really ripped Ainge, despite the fact that he is a regular caller on Ainge's show. Apparently Ainge was incensed over the whole thing and jumped in on Basilio's show to try to get Tony to ban Small Mike, which Tony refused to do (note that i'm telling most of this from Basilio's side, which was really the only angle I heard).

Basically, tempers flared, feelings were hurt, and Ainge wanted Basilio to have his back-- which he didn't, or at least not in the way Ainge expected. If that affected the decision to cut him loose it's because JayBay (who owns the station and co-hosts in the morning with Ainge) values Ainge more than Basilio. Honestly that whole thing was pretty stupid on the part of Ainge and Travis both. They can both be incredibly juvenile. I don't know if Basilio should have handled it differently or not. I hope it wasn't a determining factor in this, but it'll be interesting to see whether TSR is better off or not.

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:58:46 EDT »

Ainge can be a twerp, but I really really really wish that Clay Travis would just disappear.
101stDad
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:59:25 EDT »

I didn't hear any of it. But my understanding is that Erik Ainge and Clay Travis had a little Twitter fight and that Small Mike/Cattleman/Jim Copeland called Travis's Nashville show and really ripped Ainge, despite the fact that he is a regular caller on Ainge's show. Apparently Ainge was incensed over the whole thing and jumped in on Basilio's show to try to get Tony to ban Small Mike, which Tony refused to do (note that i'm telling most of this from Basilio's side, which was really the only angle I heard).

Basically, tempers flared, feelings were hurt, and Ainge wanted Basilio to have his back-- which he didn't, or at least not in the way Ainge expected. If that affected the decision to cut him loose it's because JayBay (who owns the station and co-hosts in the morning with Ainge) values Ainge more than Basilio. Honestly that whole thing was pretty stupid on the part of Ainge and Travis both. They can both be incredibly juvenile. I don't know if Basilio should have handled it differently or not. I hope it wasn't a determining factor in this, but it'll be interesting to see whether TSR is better off or not.

There's no way Tony can be held responsible for Ainge's spat with Travis.  Ainge horned in on Tony's time (which Tony purchases from 1180 - he owns the show) and got pissed off when Tony didn't kiss Ainge's ass.  

If anything, the station and Ainge owe Tony an apology for Ainge trying to bring Tony in to his juvenile spat with Travis and Mike.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:04:59 EDT by 101stDad » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:09:06 EDT »

While it's unfortunate it if led to Basilio's demise, I find that whole scenario almost hilarious.  Like you alluded to, Ainge and Travis are two of the most juvenile sports media individuals I'm aware of.  There's things I like and don't like about all of them, honestly (well, except for Travis who I pretty much don't care for at all).  I love listening to Ainge when he's talking X's and O's as well as tales from the inside of his playing days, but sometimes his show is unbearable.. for instance when he and JayBay are reading a story and they get sidetracked for 45 minutes giggling about how someone's name rhymes with "fart", times like that I just stare down at the radio and think to myself "is this for real?".  His show can be incredibly juvenile.  I'm not a fan of Basilio's pot stirring methods, but from what I know about him I respect him as an indvidual and honestly overall I like him.. I just normally would take his "breaking news" with a large grain of salt.  Those are really the only two radio shows I've listened to at all since football season ended.  I mostly listen to ESPN radio during the offseason.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:46 EDT »

There's no way Tony can be held responsible for Ainge's spat with Travis.  Ainge horned in on Tony's time (which Tony purchases from 1180 - he owns the show) and got pissed off when Tony didn't kiss Ainge's ass.  

If anything, the station and Ainge owe Tony an apology for Ainge trying to bring Tony in to his juvenile spat with Travis and Mike.  

That's what it sounded like from what I heard/read too, but I didn't know if those sources were biased. I agreed with Tony when he said he wouldn't be "dictated to" and don't think he should have banned Small Mike over this since it had nothing to do with him.

His show being replaced on 1180 may have nothing to do with this incident. I have no clue. The timing is suspect, but if they already have a replacement lined up you'd think that would have taken some time.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:18 EDT »

I love listening to Ainge when he's talking X's and O's as well as tales from the inside of his playing days, but sometimes his show is unbearable.. for instance when he and JayBay are reading a story and they get sidetracked for 45 minutes giggling about how someone's name rhymes with "fart", times like that I just stare down at the radio and think to myself "is this for real?".  His show can be incredibly juvenile. 

Agree 100%. When they're talking football I think Ainge and JayBay may be the best listen on the local airwaves. But their lengthy digressions and juvenile jokes sometimes make it impossible to listen. I never, ever, under any circumstances switch over to Larry, Moe, and Curly Sue on the Sports Animal but I will switch to NPR when Ainge is having one of his prepubescent mornings.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:33 EDT »

I will switch to NPR

What do you get when you cross an NPR correspondent with a zombie?
You get an NPR correspondent.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 07:23:19 EDT »

So...what were Ainge and Travis squabbling about?

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 07:26:23 EDT »

So...what were Ainge and Travis squabbling about?

Originally Ainge called out Travis for posting an "upskirt" picture of a girl in a drunken catfight, saying it was inappropriate. Travis thought Ainge was being an idiot and they slapped each other a few times, including Travis referencing Ainge's prior substance abuse issues.

The whole thing was stupid and reminded me of two high school sophomores threatening to meet each other after class.

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 08:00:44 EDT »

Oh...the catfight at the Iriqouis steeplechase a few weeks back....She called in and said she was not going commando but was wearing a thong

101stDad
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13:24 EDT »

Oh...the catfight at the Iriqouis steeplechase a few weeks back....She called in and said she was not going commando but was wearing a thong

Yes, that catfight. 

Turns out that one of the girls that was involved in that spat is a former UT cheerleader. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: