VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 01:12:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Categorizing Titans haters  (Read 13306 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:55 EDT »

1 - True fans of Colts or other divisional rivals from even before they were in TN
2 - People who think the Titans are a negative for, or competition for the Vols
3 - Old school ppl stuck in the 80s. These people will refer to them as Houston Oilers still
4 - Lynnie (I haven't figured out what the description of her hate for them would be...maybe just people who declared they hate them from the get-go and don't like changing their minds)

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:15 EDT »

1 - True fans of Colts or other divisional rivals from even before they were in TN
3 - Old school ppl stuck in the 80s. These people will refer to them as Houston Oilers still
4 - Lynnie (I haven't figured out what the description of her hate for them would be...maybe just people who declared they hate them from the get-go and don't like changing their minds)

Some Titans fans call me a "hater" just because I live in TN and they aren't my #1 team.  As if I was obligated to drop my lifelong allegiance to the Falcons the day Bud Adams moved the franchise.  Fact is, I root for the Titans.  They have always been my #3 team behind the Falcons and Colts, and now I guess they'll move up to #2.  But unless Arthur Blank moves the Falcons to LA, the Titans will never be my favorite team.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:23 EDT »

I wouldn't call u a hater. I am talking about people who openly despise them.
I also probably left out another major reason  - don't like the owner.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:21:47 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:06:04 EDT »

Good list...I agree. I have a problem with the former Titan haters that will become Titan bandwagoners if Peyton signs with us. I really want to say to those people, "We don't want you or need you, the bandwagon is already full of us real Titan fans."  But that would be childish, so.... IF Peyton signs with us, I will scoot over and make a little room for Lynn on the bandwagon. 

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:44 EDT »

If they sign Peyton, my ambivalence will turn to interest, and maybe even fandom.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:33:03 EDT »

I would categorize myself the way BDV has, up until now I would say they're my #3 team.  I rooted for them unless they played Dallas or Indy.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:57:32 EDT »

I'm not a hater, just lack of interest. I really had no interest in the Colts until Peyton started there. Also, no interest in the Texans until Arian started there. So, since people are moving over to make room for new fans, if Peyton signs with the Titans, save me a seat!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:59:09 EDT »

To be fair to Lyn, she had really bad experiences with a pocket of idiot non-UT Titans fans when they first moved here and I think even had her car vandalized.

She's not going to root for the Titans even if Peyton comes. Trust me. The Titans are just behind Alabama for her.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:06:00 EDT »

As far as your original list, the ones I love the most are the ones you list in #3, especially the VolColts who insist on calling the Titans "the Oilers" but get all bent out of shape when I ask them why they root for the Baltimore Colts.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:17:03 EDT »

To be fair to Lyn, she had really bad experiences with a pocket of idiot non-UT Titans fans when they first moved here and I think even had her car vandalized.

She's not going to root for the Titans even if Peyton comes. Trust me. The Titans are just behind Alabama for her.

Lynnie's head is going to explode 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:03 EDT »

I would categorize myself the way BDV has, up until now I would say they're my #3 team.  I rooted for them unless they played Dallas or Indy.

I'm actually similar, I root for the Dolphins (long time fan), Titans, and Indy. I was never a Indy fan before Peyton, but I am a huge Peyton fan so I would root for any team he plays for, even the Raiders or gasp..Patriots.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:03 EDT »

I also forgot another category - those who really hate Adams.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:29 EDT »

Why do they hate Adams?  Is it primarily because he moved the team?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:41:18 EDT »

The Titans worked for me because I was a Cowboys fan who was ready to jump ship right about the time the Titans came to town. The whole Jerry Jones / Jimmy Johnson / Barry Switzer fiasco had soured me on the Cowboys. But truthfully I was a bandwagon NFL fan for years who really just rooted for whoever was good, except the 49ers. I liked the Dolphins, the Bears, the Giants, the Cowboys. It was easy for me to develop and maintain an allegiance to a local team.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:47 EDT »

THIS!!
I will root for Peyton to do well and the defense and CJ to stink it up.

I worked for a guy at Bridgestone that hated me because I rooted for Peyton and the Colts....he slashed the tires on my car and wrote a bad word on it. He was fired and had to pay for the damages and he sealed my hatred.  Not even Peyton can make me a Titan fan.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:24:11 EDT »

THIS!!
I will root for Peyton to do well and the defense and CJ to stink it up.

I worked for a guy at Bridgestone that hated me because I rooted for Peyton and the Colts....he slashed the tires on my car and wrote a bad word on it. He was fired and had to pay for the damages and he sealed my hatred.  Not even Peyton can make me a Titan fan.

I just can't imagine what would motivate a person to do such a thing based on football. Especially NFL football.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:32 EDT »

Slashed your tires?  Wow!  My former impression is that he wrote something on your window with soap or something relatively harmless like that.   Ridiculous.

I root for the Dolphins, Colts, Titans, in no particular order, but to be honest I have probably favored the Colts since Peyton got there.  I have been a Dolphins fan since 1974 (my earliest allegiance in football of any kind), a Colts fan since 1982 (when they moved...or was it 83?), and a Titans fan since they moved in the late 90s.

My SIL is a Pittsburgh fan living in Memphis.  She hates the Titans because they used to be the oilers.  She was actually upset that they played in Memphis for one year and would have nothing to do with them.  Funny thing...I used to be relatively indifferent to the Steelers, but now I often find myself rooting against them.   Not that I would tell her that...her head might explode.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:45 EDT »

I just can't imagine what would motivate a person to do such a thing based on football. Especially NFL football.

He was young and was Titan crazy. He is an extreme example but I have plenty of others.  A boss calling me a "stupid idiot"; a drunk throwing a beer on me in Logan's for yelling "go Peyton go" during a Colts/Titan game; hearing Titan fans call Peyton everything but agoid QB while sitting at LP field in my Manning jersey; being told by a girl I worked with that Haynesworth should have stomped on Peyton's gave - it would be an improvement.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:43 EDT »

He was young and was Titan crazy. He is an extreme example but I have plenty of others.  A boss calling me a "stupid idiot"; a drunk throwing a beer on me in Logan's for yelling "go Peyton go" during a Colts/Titan game; hearing Titan fans call Peyton everything but agoid QB while sitting at LP field in my Manning jersey; being told by a girl I worked with that Haynesworth should have stomped on Peyton's gave - it would be an improvement.

Ok, I can understand your disdain for Titan fans then.... but know that it really has nothing to do with the actual team (I am sure you have been told that)

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:26 EDT »

Ha!  Funny, and accurate.  ;D
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 07:09:37 EDT »

Ok, I can understand your disdain for Titan fans then.... but know that it really has nothing to do with the actual team (I am sure you have been told that)

Ok..well as far as the team goes...I despise Eddie "I voted for Woodson" George, then there was Pacman Jones, Jenny Britt has off the field issues and good old Frank Wycheck who thinks it is funny to mock Fulmer for his weight. #notafan
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:13 EDT »

There is a small group of people that have the absurd notion that all Titans fans and players must also be Vol fans. Thus you hear strange arguments like, "well I can't cheer for the Titans because I saw Jevon Kearse do the Gator chomp" or Eddie George supported Charles Woodson for the Heisman.  I wonder if any other franchise is held to that standard, for example, is there a group of people in Pennsylvania that won't root for the Steelers because all Steeler fans and players aren't Pitt Panther fans?  How about the Dolphins and the U etc?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:08 EDT »

Our economic paradigm in America is perpetual growth. Nashville's entertainment district, and the city in general have boomed since Titans arrived.  No question it has been a net positive for the state.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:22 EDT »

Ok..well as far as the team goes...I despise Eddie "I voted for Woodson" George, then there was Pacman Jones, Jenny Britt has off the field issues and good old Frank Wycheck who thinks it is funny to mock Fulmer for his weight. #notafan

Yeah, there's certain guys I don't like on the dolphins (Marshall), or even the Vols either.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:56 EDT »

I have spent the last 15 years with people trying to force me to be a Titan fan...oh, you have to root for your hometown team, etc. Well...no I don't. I rooted for the Green Bay packers because of Reggie, the Broncos because of Al, I root for the Texans because of Arian but I won't root for the Titans ever.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: