VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 08:10:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Riley to Nebraska  (Read 4497 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:08 EST »

They fired a 9-3 coach to get one that just went 5-7

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:53 EST »

Pelini must have really pissed off everybody at Nebraska. They said they wanted someone to "take them to the next level" but what in the world indicates that Riley could do that? He might do it with the resources Nebraska has. But this isn't close to a sure thing.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:22:45 EST »

Very surprised at this hiring. Good guy, and a former Tide player but very average coach. I bet the 'husker fans are the real shocked ones.

BG
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:54:12 EST »

Like BG, I'm very surprised. He's done a decent job at Oregon State. He's far behind Oregon in resources.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:18 EST »

Just saw on the ESPN crawl that Pellini never lost more than 4 games at NU, Riley lost more than 4 games every season he was at OSU. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:36 EST »

I have seen opinions in the past that Riley is an up and comer, so I am not that surprised.  He didn't have the greatest record at OSU, but it was a winning record, and...it was OSU.  Not that long ago OSU was a vandy-like team.  I think he will do well at Nebraska.  Not sure he will do well enough to satisfy that fanbase though...but likely he won't be a giant ass like Pelini was either.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:36:12 EST »

He's no up and comer. Bad hire for Nebraska

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 10:50:49 EST »

61 years old and 14 years at present job averaging one win per year over .500.  That would not be my definition of an up and comer.  I was mildly surprised at the UF hire, totally shocked at the Nebraska hire. 

I have seen opinions in the past that Riley is an up and comer, so I am not that surprised.  He didn't have the greatest record at OSU, but it was a winning record, and...it was OSU.  Not that long ago OSU was a vandy-like team.  I think he will do well at Nebraska.  Not sure he will do well enough to satisfy that fanbase though...but likely he won't be a giant ass like Pelini was either.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:20:11 EST »

He's no up and comer. Bad hire for Nebraska

Well I think some people on here were speculating when we hired Butch.   

If you look up his record, he had a really nice run from 2005-2009, where he averaged 9 wins a season at Oregon State.

He had a couple off years in 2010-11, but was back at 9-4 in 2012, when we hired Butch.  At that point, he was looking good. Kind of like in absolute terms Franklin's record at Vandy was above average, but for Vandy it was fantastic.  Oregon State historically is not quite as bad as Vandy, but they have historically been at the bottom of the Pac 8/10/12.  A better comparison might be Kentucky.

The last two years have been very mediocre at Oregon State...a combined 12-13.  So if one factors that in, it does make less sense.  I think prior to the last two years it might have seemed less strange. His name WAS coming up routinely for openings...including ours...two years ago. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Riley

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:57 EST »

Yeah prior to Riley arriving at Oregon State in 1997, they had  not won more than 4 games in a season since 1971.  

So that is Vandy-like.  Interestingly he was there and then left and got replaced by Dennis Erickson for a few years.  I do think his record from 2003-2009 is pretty impressive, considering that it's Oregon State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_State_Beavers_football

I think he can do just as well at Nebraska as Pellini, while not being an ahole.  But we will see. I'm not sure he can do better though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:30:39 EST by BanditVol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:12:37 EST »

I was advocating pretty hard for UT to take a look at Riley two years ago.  I think he's done a hell of a job at OSU, given what he had to work with up there.  As impressive as it was when he resurrected that program 15 years ago, the fact that he keeps them even semi-competitive today is an even greater achievement.  It's much tougher to win there now than it was then, given that Phil Knight's dirty billions are now flowing into the coffers of their in-state archrival.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 11:46:52 EST »

It's much tougher to win there now than it was then, given that Phil Knight's dirty billions are now flowing into the coffers of their in-state archrival.

yup.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: