VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 12:36:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My .02 about the game.  (Read 2529 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:22 EDT »

We did look improved especially on defense. Better tackling, better pressure. Run D gave up too much though for the size we have and did have some communication issues. New defense, 1st game I can live with those problems. I would like to see that tightened up and I suspect we will.

Offense looked good but like last year the big play is about all we have. Still not satisfied with the run game although I think if Lane gets most of the carries it will fix some of that. Our big uglies still got whipped too much it looked like to me. They will have to get tougher if we are going to run any in SEC play. I know that Neal has big play ability but he won't hit the hole regularly. He did on the TD but only after Dooley chewed his butt and that should not have to happen at this stage of his career. He will just never be a guy who likes to stick his nose in the pile IMHO.

Play calling was disappointing in spots. We got too cute instead of just lining up and trying to pound it. Should have did that on 2 occasions. It cost us points at least once. Bray's sneak should have been a handoff IMHO. Of course we did have an ACC ref in the booth 

I think just some cleaning up of these issues and we will have a pretty good ball team. We did play in the second half this time and that was good to see. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:09:46 EDT »

The offensive line did a good job,Bray had all day to pass.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:16:53 EDT »

We did look improved especially on defense. Better tackling, better pressure. Run D gave up too much though for the size we have and did have some communication issues. New defense, 1st game I can live with those problems. I would like to see that tightened up and I suspect we will.

Offense looked good but like last year the big play is about all we have. Still not satisfied with the run game although I think if Lane gets most of the carries it will fix some of that. Our big uglies still got whipped too much it looked like to me. They will have to get tougher if we are going to run any in SEC play. I know that Neal has big play ability but he won't hit the hole regularly. He did on the TD but only after Dooley chewed his butt and that should not have to happen at this stage of his career. He will just never be a guy who likes to stick his nose in the pile IMHO.

Play calling was disappointing in spots. We got too cute instead of just lining up and trying to pound it. Should have did that on 2 occasions. It cost us points at least once. Bray's sneak should have been a handoff IMHO. Of course we did have an ACC ref in the booth 

I think just some cleaning up of these issues and we will have a pretty good ball team. We did play in the second half this time and that was good to see. 
Last year our best short yardage play was the QB sneak, which probably factored into the play call, as well as the time ramaining on the clock.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:10 EDT »

This is not going to be a 13-15 drive eat up the clock type of offense. Now we did do a good job with drives in the second half, chewing up clock, but the identity of this offense---and defense will be big plays. IMO

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:22:24 EDT »

Thank God we can make big plays, at least.  It seems like from about 2001-2005 we couldn't buy one of those.  Cut fixed that in 2006-07, but since then we have pretty much suxed at it, with the exception of Cincy last year (against quality opponents anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I want our rushing game to improve and I want us to be able to sustain drives, but I'd take one big play on every drive if we could get it.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with a flashy offense.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:46 EDT »

I am not complaining about the big plays but I love to be able to sustain drives as well. Of course that is where the run game comes in. That is what will protect our defense since we are thin at lb especially. I just want to stay close in T.O.P.

Chaney is good at the passing game but I am not sold on his ability to design and teach a run game yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: