VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:56:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braves fans...  (Read 3583 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:43:12 EST »

It looks like the Yankees are trying to void A-Rod's contract.  We just happen to have a gaping hole at 3B.  Would you be in favor of signing him?  Yes, he's probably going to have to serve a 50 game suspension, so he has that strike against him.  But on the plus side, you could probably get him for dirt cheap.  And he will now basically be subletting his bladder to MLB, so he probably won't do it again.  OTOH, you never know how a guy like that would effect team chemistry- but does team chemistry really matter in baseball?

I would be in favor of signing him to a league minimum contract loaded with incentives.  If he can't cut it or is busted again, the team is out very little.  But if he is anything resembling his old self, you're looking at a possible team for the ages.  I don't see much risk here- I think it's worth taking a flyer on him.  

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:18 EST »

Not just no, but hell no. 

Don't need that kind of ego in the clubhouse. 
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:43:58 EST »

I don't think so. The Braves have always had a great chemistry. They have usually avoided the big ego players that poison a clubhouse. With Chipper gone, someone will have to stop up as a leader and A-hole A-Rod could be distracting.

He would be cheap though.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:16 EST »

Not just no, but hell no. 

Don't need that kind of ego in the clubhouse. 

Again, I just don't think that team chemistry is as big a deal in baseball as it is in other sports.  The most famous example is the A's of the 70's, who all pretty much hated each other and still won 3 World Titles.  But even A-Rod's Yankees- a team full of highly paid big egos, which was split down the middle into Team Jeter and Team A-rod, still won a WS in 2009.  

Looking at the Braves, they have a three year window wherein the current key players will still be under contract, that they can contend for a championship.  If you can get the kind of production that A-rod could potentially bring, at a position of great need, for pennies on the dollar, I think you have to make that move.  It could be the difference in a just another pretty good year and a world championship.  And like I said, if it doesn't work out, just dump him, and you're out very little.  I don't see much downside.

101stDad
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:51:50 EST »

Again, I just don't think that team chemistry is as big a deal in baseball as it is in other sports.  The most famous example is the A's of the 70's, who all pretty much hated each other and still won 3 World Titles.  But even A-Rod's Yankees- a team full of highly paid big egos, which was split down the middle into Team Jeter and Team A-rod, still won a WS in 2009.  

Looking at the Braves, they have a three year window wherein the current key players will still be under contract, that they can contend for a championship.  If you can get the kind of production that A-rod could potentially bring, at a position of great need, for pennies on the dollar, I think you have to make that move.  It could be the difference in a just another pretty good year and a world championship.  And like I said, if it doesn't work out, just dump him, and you're out very little.  I don't see much downside.

Respectfully disagree, BDV.  Chemistry is more important in baseball than any other sport, from where I sit.  The players, given the longevity of the season and the fact that they are together every single day - and together for a week or more on road trips - and spend so much time together in the clubhouse makes it essential for team chemistry off the field to be good. 

You are right about the A's of the 70s, but that was a different day.  Media and money have put a lot more pressure on today's players. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:55:01 EST »

Respectfully disagree, BDV.  Chemistry is more important in baseball than any other sport, from where I sit.  The players, given the longevity of the season and the fact that they are together every single day - and together for a week or more on road trips - and spend so much time together in the clubhouse makes it essential for team chemistry off the field to be good.  

You are right about the A's of the 70s, but that was a different day.  Media and money have put a lot more pressure on today's players.  

For the sake of argument, I'll concede your point.  But have you ever heard anyone say that A-Rod is a bad teammate?  He's self-absorbed and little too concerned with his own legacy for sure, but I've never heard about him being a clubhouse cancer ala Barry Bonds.  He even took in well when he was benched for the stretch run last year.  I think a lot of that stuff is trumped up by the NY media- they weren't going to let anyone come in and challenge Jeter's status as the leader of that team.  You never heard any of this stuff when he was in Seattle and Texas.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:58:07 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Quasi EVol
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:43 EST »

If (better living through) chemistry doesn't matter, think about how many World Series championships the Pirates & Giants won with Bonds. The Yankees deserve A-Roid.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:22 EST »

If (better living through) chemistry doesn't matter, think about how many World Series championships the Pirates & Giants won with Bonds. The Yankees deserve A-Roid.

OTOH, look at last year's Giants.  Yes, Melky Cabrera was suspended near the end of the season, but they probably don't even make the playoffs without his contributions over the first 120 games. 

I don't care much for A-Rod on a personal level either.  If and when he surpasses Hank Aaron's record (that's no typo) I will give it the same creedence I gave Bonds- zero. 

But if MLB allows him to play again (and that's still very much up in the air) someone is going to get him at Big Lots prices.  Better the Braves than the Phils or Nats. 

I don't take the same position on this as I do college sports.  I wouldn't want a known cheater at UT.  But whereas UT's team represents the alumni and on many levels this entire state, the Braves don't represent me.  They are just a team that I grew up watching, and I want them to win, whatever it takes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: