VTTW Board Index
May 26, 2024, 03:35:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this holding?  (Read 6853 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:28 EDT »

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:36 EDT »

I saw holding all night....very frustrating.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:41:22 EDT »

And we still did a decent job on their run game, in spite of it 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:52 EDT »

And we still did a decent job on their run game, in spite of it 

The only reason they didn't run like uga did is because they did not have that much speed at rb to break off the big runs.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:43 EDT »

The only reason they didn't run like uga did is because they did not have that much speed at rb to break off the big runs.

Mississippi State doesn't have any more talent than Tennessee. Georgia and Alabama have a big advantage over everyone with fast running backs

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:12 EDT »

Right.  The only reason they didn't break off three 50+ yard TDs is because of team speed.  Hm.

Actually MSU has one guy that is just as fast as Murphy, which I think is 4.5.  Galloway is 4.4 and in a class by himself among bulldawgs of all sorts (MSU and uga).  The details are below somewhere in a post I made a couple weeks ago.

I am sure it also had nothing to do with the way we stacked the box Saturday night, which I could see from the very top row of the stadium.

But whatever...yeah...I'm sure that's it.   

But to be clear, I completely disagree with you.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:18:50 EDT »

Right.  The only reason they didn't break off three 50+ yard TDs is because of team speed.  Hm.

Actually MSU has one guy that is just as fast as Murphy, which I think is 4.5.  Galloway is 4.4 and in a class by himself among bulldawgs of all sorts (MSU and uga).  The details are below somewhere in a post I made a couple weeks ago.

I am sure it also had nothing to do with the way we stacked the box Saturday night, which I could see from the very top row of the stadium.

Hey, I hope I am wrong about this. We will know more after Saturday for sure. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 04:06:24 EDT »

Shocked, shocked I say! 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:11:16 EDT »

Shocked, shocked I say! 

VTTW is like a box of chocolates,You never know what You're going to get!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:19 EDT »

Shocked, shocked I say! 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjbPi00k_ME" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SjbPi00k_ME</a>

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:16:30 EDT »

Right.  The only reason they didn't break off three 50+ yard TDs is because of team speed.  Hm.

Actually MSU has one guy that is just as fast as Murphy, which I think is 4.5.  Galloway is 4.4 and in a class by himself among bulldawgs of all sorts (MSU and uga).  The details are below somewhere in a post I made a couple weeks ago.

When we are in single safety teams run on us, usually at will.   When we are in 2 Deep, the pass on us, usually at will.

We were crowding the LOS against the pups and they gashed us for 51, 72 and 75 yards

When we went to 2 deep #82 ran unopposed through the back 2 levels of our defense because our two MLB are too slow to cover the middle zone and our safeties react with all the speed of an inch worm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:18:42 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 05:52:26 EDT »

Well here is another way of looking at it.  Here are the stats for our 3 SEC games.  What rush yards were allowed by us/ how that compared with the opposing team's average and the difference in ():

Florida    336/233  (103)

Georgia   282/227  (55)

MSU       142/173  (-31)

So you can see that we held MSU below their season average and didn't even come close to doing that against UF and Uga.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37:35 EDT »

Well here is another way of looking at it.  Here are the stats for our 3 SEC games.  What rush yards were allowed by us/ how that compared with the opposing team's average and the difference in ():

Florida    336/233  (103)

Georgia   282/227  (55)

MSU       142/173  (-31)

So you can see that we held MSU below their season average and didn't even come close to doing that against UF and Uga.

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but are you trying to make the point that we are improving as the season progresses?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:11:09 EDT »

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but are you trying to make the point that we are improving as the season progresses?

Nope.  I am reiterating my original point.  Which is that we did a decent job against the MSU run game a couple weeks after being completely embarrassed against uga.  There seemed to be some doubts about that, but the numbers don't lie.

Now, to your point, it's no good to shut down the run game and let them pass all over us, which is what happened in the first half.  But I can't help but notice we never slowed Murray down against uga either.  In fact, towards the end of that game, Danielson said "Tennessee has not stopped Georgia's pass attack all day", or words to that effect.

And it turns out, MSU has a pretty good QB with Mullen calling the plays, so I was worried about that going in.

So yes, I see improvement in the run D, but not the overall D, which of course is what matters.

OTOH, we made some halftime adjustments and came out and made them punt 4 times in a row.

To give us any hope at all vs. bammer, we need the D that played for most of the second half to show up, shut down (okay, slow down) the bammer run, and force a gimpy AJ McCarron missing his top two receivers to beat us passing.  It's only a glimmer of hope, but it's there. 

I will be watching from the stands either way.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:23:08 EDT »

I will be watching from the stands either way.   

Yeah, I think you mentioned that.  I'll be there too, in case you're wondering.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 04:33:45 EDT »

Yeah, I think you mentioned that.  I'll be there too, in case you're wondering.

Of course you will.  You are at every game. 

Maybe this is the one....

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 04:49:18 EDT »

Of course you will.  You are at every game. 

Maybe this is the one....

I think it would take a miracle, but as you say stranger things have happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: