VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:59:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He was NOT defenseless  (Read 5016 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2016, 06:38:41 EDT »

Hat to hat I get, the rest was bull shizzle

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:04:41 EDT »

So we starts at Bristol 1st Qtr?   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:13:32 EDT »

So we starts at Bristol 1st Qtr?   
if I remember he oh as served his time
If the incident had occurred in the 2nd half then he would have missed the first half of the next game

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:17:19 EDT »

By the letter of the law, the officials got it right. But I'm sick of watching this rule put college football's best players on the sideline for non-malicious hustle plays. Powder-puff football sucks.

Edit: Meant to say the targeting part was right, by the letter of the law. I still don't know HITH that was kick catch interference, unless as Butch Jones said postgame, he signaled for a fait catch as soon as the punt was in the air.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:23:19 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:30:50 EDT »

Hat to hat I get, the rest was bull shizzle

Many of the articles say the hit occurred after a fair catch signal. I sure didn't see any fair catch signal on the replays I've seen.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:54:46 EDT »

Many of the articles say the hit occurred after a fair catch signal. I sure didn't see any fair catch signal on the replays I've seen.   
there was NO fair catch signal
No way, no how
The "penalty" was R-M was too close, which by rule he wasn't

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:31:28 EDT »

Actually he did, but pretty much EVERYONE missed it, including Mushberger and Palmer during the broadcast.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/260274-jrm-suspended-va-tech-game-6.html#post12885883

There should be a rule about how early it can be signaled, IYAM. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:14 EDT »

It seems likely to me that it could be coached "gamesmanship".

"Signal fair catch as soon as the ball leaves the kickers foot, we might catch them not paying attention and get a penalty out of it"

Appy St did a lot of those kinds of tricks it would seem, see the "injuries" they kept having too.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:10:02 EDT »

It was a bogus call. Period! The rules have an ambiguity that the fair catch signal is suppose to address but if the runner does not avail themselves of it the onus should be on them not the defense. The true rules are to stop a play you down the ball which is what the runner did. He did not interfere with the catching of the punt but that is what the call was with the aggravation of targeting. This situation will exist and the receiving team takes their chances in this way to try and get a call like that or they must change the process of change of possession. I suspect the kid was coached to do this (kinda irresponsible). Sorry vinnie... I didn't realize you had already posted it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:11:59 EDT by tshadow » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 05:49:19 EDT »

It was a bogus call. Period! The rules have an ambiguity that the fair catch signal is suppose to address but if the runner does not avail themselves of it the onus should be on them not the defense. The true rules are to stop a play you down the ball which is what the runner did. He did not interfere with the catching of the punt but that is what the call was with the aggravation of targeting. This situation will exist and the receiving team takes their chances in this way to try and get a call like that or they must change the process of change of possession. I suspect the kid was coached to do this (kinda irresponsible). Sorry vinnie... I didn't realize you had already posted it.

Yeah, I mean it seems clever to coach the returner to do that....but you're putting the kid at risk.

Still, it's the coverage team's responsibility to get their eyes downfield and pay attention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: