VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:28:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dobbs doubtful this weekend?  (Read 11175 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:37:25 EDT »

Per TOS

Extremely painful rib injury.

After watching that hit several times Dobbs is lucky he got up after that hit. You could tell by his look on the sidelines he was in a lot of pain.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:38:41 EDT »

Per TOS

Extremely painful rib injury.

After watching that hit several times Dobbs is lucky he got up after that hit. You could tell by his look on the sidelines he was in a lot of pain.
Depends on your sources
247 yes
VQ No

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:44:47 EDT »

TOS said it was said on the ANML
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:04 EDT »

TOS said it was said on the ANML

Does that mean it originated with Hyams?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:25:01 EDT »

I've seen it said it's true and seen it reported as false. As Pirate posted....it depends on what site you are getting info.

Hope he plays for sure.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:15:35 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 02:39:04 EDT »

I no longer have my VQ subscription, but from what I gather on Twitter, John Brice reported that Dobbs' ribs were sore and people went berserk. He asked Butch whether Dobbs has fractured ribs and Butch was coy (as usual). If Dobbs is really hurt, we aren't likely to know about it until the end of the week, because Butch will be Butch.

IMO, if Dobbs is out, Guarantano has to get plenty of reps in practice this week and be ready for his redshirt to be burned Saturday, if necessary. Not that I'm doubting Dormady's ability...well, maybe I am.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 02:48:40 EDT »

I no longer have my VQ subscription, but from what I gather on Twitter, John Brice reported that Dobbs' ribs were sore and people went berserk. He asked Butch whether Dobbs has fractured ribs and Butch was coy (as usual). If Dobbs is really hurt, we aren't likely to know about it until the end of the week, because Butch will be Butch.

IMO, if Dobbs is out, Guarantano has to get plenty of reps in practice this week and be ready for his redshirt to be burned Saturday, if necessary. Not that I'm doubting Dormady's ability...well, maybe I am.

I don't know.  It would be one thing to throw a true freshman in there if he were here in the spring and had gotten reps with the ones during fall.   It would be another thing if we were playing Ohio or Tennessee Tech this week.  But that's not the case.  Barring another catastrophic injury or two, I'd keep his redshirt intact.  I think Dormady will do fine.  In fact, we'll probably be a better passing offense with him.  If he doesn't play well, Jones is the next guy in.  All of this is assuming the Dobbs rumor turns out to be accurate,  of course.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:50:57 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:49:32 EDT »

Agreed
Watched him in warmups Thursday night.  He can spin it

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 02:54:31 EDT »

Agreed
Watched him in warmups Thursday night.  He can spin it
OTOH, they didn't sub for an obviously troubled CT Thursday ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:03 EDT »

If QD has to play, I fear it will be the Worley show all over again because of our interior OL issues.

If it's JG, DeBord may never call another forward pass.

So, I hope Dobbs is ok.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 04:00:06 EDT »

If QD has to play, I fear it will be the Worley show all over again because of our interior OL issues.

If it's JG, DeBord may never call another forward pass.

So, I hope Dobbs is ok.

Truer words never spoke.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 04:54:02 EDT »

Here's my thinking, if Dobbs needs to rest...sit him vs VT so that he can heal.  SEC championship is the goal.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 06:42:30 EDT »

If Guarantano is the QB that those who have seen him say he is, then the chances of his being here 4 years are less than 50/50.  Do we really want to waste a year of his eligibility?

Just food for thought. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:13:48 EDT »

I think Dormady can throw. Whether he can with two unblocked defenders coming at him is a different question. Play the guy who can help us win now. Don't worry about some five year horizon.

Had we beaten OU and UF last year, or even UF a prior year, the situation might be different. There are no reserve funds for this year accumulated in years past.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 12:19:54 EDT »

My thinking is less about preserving his eligibility and more about having doubts that he's  ready yet.  He's only been on campus for, what- 6 weeks?  I don't care how simplistic our offense appears to be, that's an awfully short time to digest it all.  If the situation dictates that he plays later in the season,  I'm fine with that.  But this early?  Against a Bud Foster defense?  I don't think so.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:24:39 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:09:24 EDT »

That's a fair point BDV. Were he an EE, the equation would be different. That having been said , if he knows 30 plays fairly well,  that may be enough.

I'm for giving Dormady a shot if Dobbs is dinged up though.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 04:47:41 EDT »

To be clear, if Dobbs can't go, Dormady is the clear starter. That's a no-brainer. What I'm saying is having JG ready in case our offense can't move the ball is an option that should be considered. With that said, most of the reasons to doubt Dormady's ability (a pro-style QB in our current offense) would also be reason to doubt JG's ability to step in right away.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 05:54:46 EDT »

Dormady has enough wheels to keep the defense honest......The Texas QB won't beat anybody with his legs but he kept 5-6 times last night and was effective.....and he has a arm. I believe Dormady is in the same mold. Question is...can our OL block anybody?
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:25 EDT »

As painful as it may be... our coaches need to feel the force of circumstance before it actually comes. You can't have experience without living experience. They are there to play football... put em on the field and learn how to recruit if you don't already know how.
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 06:35:43 EDT »

Butch says Dobbs is "sore but fine" and will start Saturday.

He also said TnPhil needs to check his sources.  (Sorry, Phil, I think Butch's comment about checking sources was probably aimed at Volnation. Lol.)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 06:39:04 EDT »

Butch says Dobbs is "sore but fine" and will start Saturday.

He also said TnPhil needs to check his sources.  (Sorry, Phil, I think Butch's comment about checking sources was probably aimed at Volnation. Lol.)
I note it was Brice that asked the question
I also note he was tweeting while on the sideline Thursday night with the VOL Network

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 06:44:26 EDT »

Dobbs seems to be moving well in his presser.  He has made a point to move around and stretch and take deep breaths as he speaks

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 07:00:00 EDT »

Butch said he will play.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:37 EDT »

I think throwing JG in too early might result in a "Peterman" result.  Of course, it's not UF and not the Swamp, and he likely would not start, but still.

Dormady would be serviceable iMO.

Speaking of stud QBs, Ferguson threw three TD passes Sunday for Memphis.  Granted it was against some garbage team, but our lack of passing attack almost makes me wish he had stayed.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:15 EDT »

Butch said he will play.

And Butch has always been so forthcoming with information ...........

Just saying.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: