VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 07:35:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vegas is not buying into "Brick by Brick"  (Read 7391 times)
CornFromAJar
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:41:27 EDT »

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2015/5/28/8678349/vegas-not-buying-vols-hype-season-win-total-sec-championship-odds

Take it FWIW.

Me, well, my heart is a little more optimistic. Hope, it's a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:36:59 EDT by droner » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:58:46 EDT »

Don't have a problem with 7 1/2 being the over/under.  I think that is very fair.

There are still a lot of questions surrounding the UT football program going in to next season.  It has certainly made progress from a culture and personnel standpoint.  It still remains to be seen if that progress is going to be turned in to more wins and less losses. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:46:33 EDT »

I agree with HTV, 7.5 is fair. We still have a tough schedule and while skill level is improved it still isn't what is needed at every position and depth is still a huge issue....a few key players going down, or having a bad year, could have a huge impact. I say we're still 2 more good classes from being at the "no excuses" level.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:00 EDT »

I agree with HTV, 7.5 is fair. We still have a tough schedule and while skill level is improved it still isn't what is needed at every position and depth is still a huge issue....a few key players going down, or having a bad year, could have a huge impact. I say we're still 2 more good classes from being at the "no excuses" level.   

Agree to a point.  If we keep the NFL early entries to a minimum next spring, we should be ready to roll and compete for championships for the 2016 season.  Otherwise, we're probably looking at 2017 or even 2018.  We still don't quite have enough depth to just reload if we lose guys like Cam, Dobbs, JRM, North, Kamara, etc.  That's the kind of depth currently reserved for only 4 or 5 elite programs, and two more classes like our last two should get us to that point.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:43 EDT »

Because the East is down, I think there's a chance we can compete for it this year. But I agree with BDV and VOLMAN that really 2016 at the earliest and probably 2017 is when there's enough talent and experience to expect to match the top of the SEC West.

Our depth at key positions is still fragile, but incoming classes are fixing that. Right now key guys (Dobbs) are backed up by talented freshmen. When they're backed up by talented guys who have actually seen a college field, we'll be in business.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:41:29 EDT »

Because the East is down, I think there's a chance we can compete for it this year. But I agree with BDV and VOLMAN that really 2016 at the earliest and probably 2017 is when there's enough talent and experience to expect to match the top of the SEC West.

Our depth at key positions is still fragile, but incoming classes are fixing that. Right now key guys (Dobbs) are backed up by talented freshmen. When they're backed up by talented guys who have actually seen a college field, we'll be in business.

Oh, I expect we WILL compete for the East this year.  When I talk about competing for "championships", I'm not talking about division titles.  And I don't think we're ready to compete with the West division (much less nationally) just yet.  But who knows?  Win the East, and you're just one upset away from an SEC title.  And winning the SEC is practically an automatic bid to the Playoffs.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:38:52 EDT »

I fixed the link. Or eliminated the redundant link.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 04:13:28 EDT »

Oh, I expect we WILL compete for the East this year.  When I talk about competing for "championships", I'm not talking about division titles.  And I don't think we're ready to compete with the West division (much less nationally) just yet.  But who knows?  Win the East, and you're just one upset away from an SEC title.  And winning the SEC is practically an automatic bid to the Playoffs.

QBs are so crucial for upsets . . . and I'm not sure there's a QB in the conference that is as capable of being that wildcard as Dobbs is. I don't think he's an every-week-great-QB but he is capable of winning a game with big plays.

If he's healthy he gives us a puncher's chance even against the best teams on the schedule. If we got to the SECC somehow I wouldn't bet against us for that reason.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:25:18 EDT »

QBs are so crucial for upsets . . . and I'm not sure there's a QB in the conference that is as capable of being that wildcard as Dobbs is. I don't think he's an every-week-great-QB but he is capable of winning a game with big plays.

If he's healthy he gives us a puncher's chance even against the best teams on the schedule. If we got to the SECC somehow I wouldn't bet against us for that reason.

I agree about Dobbs.  And that's why, looking ahead, I'm a bit hesitant about 2017.  Because while the rest of the roster will probably be loaded for bear, we're likely going to be breaking in a new QB.  If we don't have our "breakout" championship year in '15 or '16, we may have to wait another couple years before the opportunity comes up again.

That's why I had no issues with Butch's attempt to redshirt him last year.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 04:32:50 EDT »

I agree about Dobbs.  And that's why, looking ahead, I'm a bit hesitant about 2017.  Because while the rest of the roster will probably be loaded for bear, we're likely going to be breaking in a new QB.  If we don't have our "breakout" championship year in '15 or '16, we may have to wait another couple years before the opportunity comes up again.

The good news is the guys we may be breaking in for '17 are pretty talented and should, at that point, have at least gotten some mop up time on the field.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:14:00 EDT »

Well I was thinking 8-4 would be an accomplishment this year, so 7.5 doesn't bother me much.

The biggest question is our OL.  They improved at the end of the season, but they were so bad they could improve tremendously and still have a ways to go.  My expectation is that they will start clicking about midseason, we will go on a nice run, and 2016 will be fantastic.

What gives me some hope for this year is that our major opponents all face issues. 

Florida - new coach.  Will take time to rebuild that offense even though he is an accomplished offensive coach.
Uga - new QB and new OC
Bammer - new QB and Lane Kiffin. Plus D not at their usual standards
USC - we have shown we can handle the ole ball sack
Arkansas - no vertical speed at WR. Offense thus limited

I don't see a team on that list we are incapable of beating.  Doesn't mean we get them all, or even a majority, but I do think we beat a team or two we are not supposed to.

Heck, we almost beat uga two years in a row anyway.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:43 EDT »

Agree completely, I think he will throw in a couple of clunkers but will balance out with some real gems.  Overall, good but not great week in--week out, but capable of beating anyone on those "gem" days.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
10EC
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:18:13 EDT »

Tee Martin
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 06:21:07 EDT »

If the OL is good, 9 wins is a real possibility. If not, we'll have to fight for 8. If Dobbs gets dinged, we'll fight for everything. I can see why 7.5 would be set. We could win 10 or 7. Were I a bettor, I'd take the over, but I'm not.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 06:37:33 EDT »

9-3

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:32:12 EDT »

The good news is the guys we may be breaking in for '17 are pretty talented and should, at that point, have at least gotten some mop up time on the field.

They are talented, and though I'm not looking forward to life without Dobbs, I AM interested to see those guys fight for the job.  For the past decade, the term "QB battle" at UT has meant "Which 3 star will win the job by default when his compeition sharts the bed?".  It will be fun to see a bunch of legitimately talented guys battle it out.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 01:26:54 EDT »

Hopefully it won't happen...but we are 1 play from having a true freshman playing QB. Never a good position to be in.

We need our WRs to be much better at beating man coverage....and our run game needs to be improved to keep Dobbs upright and not having to run much.
CornFromAJar
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 05:33:39 EDT »

I fixed the link. Or eliminated the redundant link.

Thank you. One of these days I may get the hang of these things. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: