VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 06:12:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troy could beat UT  (Read 6169 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:11 EDT »

They have a pretty wide open, good offense. Our defense sucks. This will be an interesting game.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:28 EDT »

Yeah I haven't really scouted Troy yet.  That sounds SKEERY.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:07 EDT »

Yeah I haven't really scouted Troy yet.  That sounds SKEERY.

For comparison, Troy is ranked 26 (459.63 ypg) in total offense; Akron is 42 (436.11 ypg).  On the other hand, Troy is 65 in scoring offense (27.88 ppg) and Akron is 63 (28.00 ppg).  On defense, Troy is ranked 62 (399.38 ypg) in total defense, and Akron is 108 (472.22 ypg).   Troy is ranked 62 in scoring defense (26.88 ppg) and Akron is 110 (37.33 ppg). 
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:22 EDT »

UT is an 18 point favorite. Isn't that similar to the spread over Wyoming in 2008?  
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:38 EDT »

UT is an 18 point favorite. Isn't that similar to the spread over Wyoming in 2008?  

LOL.  We won't play that badly.  We at least have a QB playing SEC-caliber ball, legit NFL talent at WR, and a line as good as any around.

We could barely score on a 4-win Wyoming team in 2008.  I got to see the end of that game surrounded by bammer fans coming into the sports bar for the bammer-LSU game that followed ours. 

I think that's about my worst memory as a Vol, period. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:07 EDT »

Troy scares me, most definitely.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:34 EDT »

We will score on them, likely win, but it won't be easy with our defense. Our crowd won't do anything.

I am thinking about 41 - 30 Vols right now

japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:53:55 EDT »

I don't know, I think you are underselling the talent on that 2008 team a little. I was thinking this year's team might be similarly disinterested and unmotivated. If the Vols offense comes to play they be be able to hang 50 on Troy and that would all but guarantee a victory, but I think that's a big if.
My worst experience as a Vol fan would have to be paying $110 for an upper level nosebleed seat on the 20 yard line for the Florida game in 1996. Tennessee was #2 and Florida was #4. It was my first trip to Neyland and I was 20 at the time so $110 was a lot of money. Then UT went down 35-0 in the first 20 minutes. Then it started to rain. Did I mention I went to the game with my friend who is a Florida fan? That was a terrible day, but hopefully UT will be back in a similar situation soon
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:30 EDT »

I don't know, I think you are underselling the talent on that 2008 team a little. I was thinking this year's team might be similarly disinterested and unmotivated. If the Vols offense comes to play they be be able to hang 50 on Troy and that would all but guarantee a victory, but I think that's a big if.
My worst experience as a Vol fan would have to be paying $110 for an upper level nosebleed seat on the 20 yard line for the Florida game in 1996. Tennessee was #2 and Florida was #4. It was my first trip to Neyland and I was 20 at the time so $110 was a lot of money. Then UT went down 35-0 in the first 20 minutes. Then it started to rain. Did I mention I went to the game with my friend who is a Florida fan? That was a terrible day, but hopefully UT will be back in a similar situation soon

The 2008 team had a horrible offense and an ok defense. If you can't score, you won't win many games.

This year's team has a really good offense and a horrible defense. Overall u have a shot to win games that way, but more often than not you will lose.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:31 EDT »

I don't know, I think you are underselling the talent on that 2008 team a little. I was thinking this year's team might be similarly disinterested and unmotivated.

I keep hearing this.  Was our team unmotivated and uninterested Saturday?  No, but plenty thought they would be.  I expect them to show up for Troy.  And while we are at it, recall that Fulmer was fired the week of the Wyoming game.

Had Dooley been let go today, as many predicted, I would expect the team to perhaps give up, or at any rate the coaches to be unmotivated.

No matter how bad our fanbase wants a coach out, I never want to piss 4 games away just to fire a coach in midseason.  The team will show up, and I hope they play well.

I hear you on that 1996 UF game. LOL!  I went with a friend, and bought student tix without realizing that they now had electronic scanners for the student IDs.  I wasted ~$70 for a ticket, then we wandered the strip from site to site looking for a good place to view the game all while getting rained on and watching the Vols lay a 0-35 egg before making it look respectable.  Not a good memory for me either...

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:05 EDT »

I keep hearing this.  Was our team unmotivated and uninterested Saturday?  No, but plenty thought they would be.  I expect them to show up for Troy.  And while we are at it, recall that Fulmer was fired the week of the Wyoming game.

Had Dooley been let go today, as many predicted, I would expect the team to perhaps give up, or at any rate the coaches to be unmotivated.

No matter how bad our fanbase wants a coach out, I never want to piss 4 games away just to fire a coach in midseason.  The team will show up, and I hope they play well.

I hear you on that 1996 UF game. LOL!  I went with a friend, and bought student tix without realizing that they now had electronic scanners for the student IDs.  I wasted ~$70 for a ticket, then we wandered the strip from site to site looking for a good place to view the game all while getting rained on and watching the Vols lay a 0-35 egg before making it look respectable.  Not a good memory for me either...

The difference is, in 2008 the players LOVED Fulmer.  Their actions at his "resignation" presser testify to that.  I knew right then and there that they wouldn't show up for the Wyoming game.  I'm not sure that Dooley has garnered that same kind of affection from his team. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:31 EDT »

The difference is, in 2008 the players LOVED Fulmer.  Their actions at his "resignation" presser testify to that.  I knew right then and there that they wouldn't show up for the Wyoming game.  I'm not sure that Dooley has garnered that same kind of affection from his team. 

That doesn't mean they want to LOSE though.  Unlike the 2008 team (unfortunately!) they have no memories of winning routinely, and these game actually matter...to THEM.  And for THEIR SAKE, I hope they do win them all. They deserve some small measure of success after eating a giant shizzle sandwich for four years.

But don't take my word for it, listen to what the players say:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/28/ut-coach-derek-dooley-says-there-is-hope-for/?partner=popular

"Yeah, I mean everyone's always talking about Coach Dooley being on the hot seat," said quarterback Tyler Bray. "No one really worries about that. He's going to put us in a great position to win, and we've got to execute, which we've failed to do."

Senior receiver Zach Rogers said the final games are important for everyone.

"We've got to play for coach (Dooley), we got to play for ourselves, we got to play for this university," Rogers said. "It's not just one individual we're playing for. This hurts the whole community when we lose like this."

japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:10 EDT »

By disinterested and unmotivated I was referring to how the team might show up this Saturday against Troy. I think they played like they wanted to win against SC, but just suffered from the same problems that have been plaguing them all year. Now that there is no one left but the bottom third of the conference left on the schedule. Having lost against SC in such a heartbreaking fashion, with no real team goals left to play for (i.e. signature win) and given the past history of our QB in such situations, I think there is a good chance UT will slip up against one or more of the teams left on the schedule.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:45 EDT »

By disinterested and unmotivated I was referring to how the team might show up this Saturday against Troy. I think

Right.  I just don't see it though.  We will find out!

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:41:26 EDT »

Troy could absolutely beat UT. Anyone who thinks this game is in the bag is disillusioned at this point. Mike Strange (KNS) did tweet earlier that the players were very high-spirited coming off the practice field earlier so maybe there's hope yet that this team isn't going to phone it in and Dooley can rally them, but I'm not holding my breath.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:43 EDT »

UT wins this game folks. It could be tough, Troy is never a puss-over (Sorta UAB type) but they go down to the Big Orange Saturday!!! Strange at it seems, we have some really good players on this team trying their best to over come a coaching deficit. GO VOLS!
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:04 EDT »

This team has not packed it in like most thought last week and seemingly this week. Troy SOS is #111 out of 120 ... 45-24 Vols.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: