VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 02:55:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not related to football...but  (Read 5184 times)
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:37 EDT »

Dean and I just got back from a 4 day trip to NYC to celebrate our 20th Anniversary!  Had a blast -- LOVE that CITY!!  It was our first time visiting and the energy there is unbelievable!  Conquered the subways - never took a cab the entire time we were there....walked or subway everywhere.   Saw 'Jersey Boys' which was AMAZING!   Visited WTC memorial, took a cruise throuth the harbor by Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, etc......the wait for the Ferry to the Statue was about 3 hours long, so we opted for the cruise instead.   Visited the empire state building, Good Morning America (I got my 5 minutes of fame when the Cake Boss and Josh spilled a pot of milk and it splashed all over me during a live segment!  HA!).....Times Square....etc etc.   Took a dinner cruise on the Hudson on the 4th and got to watch the fireworks firsthand on the river!  The only place I didn't make it to was Central Park.  We went out for the most expensive dinner I've ever had, but boy was it awesome!  Loved the hotel we stayed in -- small "boutique" type hotel at corner of 5th and 41st called Andaz 5th Ave -- would recommend it to anyone!  Great service, etc.

Dean enjoyed it, but has no desire to go back.  I think I'd like to get my girls -- Misty, Jen, Rachel and Gracie -- and plan a girls trip up to see lots of shows and shopping -- would be a blast!

If you have never been, go visit -- it really is a neat place.  And everyone was super nice too!  Lots of folks offered to help us when we were figuring out the subways, etc.   No bad experiences at all!

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:18:50 EDT »

I had only been to The City one time in my life prior to my son going to West Point, and that was when I was in high school and we really didn't see much then.  However, during Billy's 4 years at The Academy, we went in to The City probably 15 times.  Once you learn how to navigate via subway, it's really not hard to get around.  You also have to learn where to go, and more importantly, where not to go. 

It's a pretty interesting place.  While I certainly wouldn't want to live there, it really is an interesting place to visit.  We love the Broadway theaters, I had the opportunity to go to both old and new Yankee Stadium for games, to Shea before it closed, and to Citifield.  One of Billy's best friends from West Point is from Long Island, and we have gotten to know the friend's family very well and visit with them when we are in that part of the country. 

They talk funny and some of the people are downright rude, but it is a good place to visit and most people are fine to deal with. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:32 EDT »

I had only been to The City one time in my life prior to my son going to West Point, and that was when I was in high school and we really didn't see much then.  However, during Billy's 4 years at The Academy, we went in to The City probably 15 times.  Once you learn how to navigate via subway, it's really not hard to get around.  You also have to learn where to go, and more importantly, where not to go. 

It's a pretty interesting place.  While I certainly wouldn't want to live there, it really is an interesting place to visit.  We love the Broadway theaters, I had the opportunity to go to both old and new Yankee Stadium for games, to Shea before it closed, and to Citifield.  One of Billy's best friends from West Point is from Long Island, and we have gotten to know the friend's family very well and visit with them when we are in that part of the country. 

They talk funny and some of the people are downright rude, but it is a good place to visit and most people are fine to deal with. 

They do talk funny, don't they?!?!?  And for some reason, they kept saying I talked funny!  HA!   One policeman asked me to repeat what I said becuase he loved my Georgia accent!  WOO!    I wouldn't want to live there either...but would love to visit again.....take in a few more plays, etc.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:16 EDT »

Dean and I just got back from a 4 day trip to NYC to celebrate our 20th Anniversary!  Had a blast -- LOVE that CITY!!  It was our first time visiting and the energy there is unbelievable!  Conquered the subways - never took a cab the entire time we were there....walked or subway everywhere.   Saw 'Jersey Boys' which was AMAZING!   Visited WTC memorial, took a cruise throuth the harbor by Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, etc......the wait for the Ferry to the Statue was about 3 hours long, so we opted for the cruise instead.   Visited the empire state building, Good Morning America (I got my 5 minutes of fame when the Cake Boss and Josh spilled a pot of milk and it splashed all over me during a live segment!  HA!).....Times Square....etc etc.   Took a dinner cruise on the Hudson on the 4th and got to watch the fireworks firsthand on the river!  The only place I didn't make it to was Central Park.  We went out for the most expensive dinner I've ever had, but boy was it awesome!  Loved the hotel we stayed in -- small "boutique" type hotel at corner of 5th and 41st called Andaz 5th Ave -- would recommend it to anyone!  Great service, etc.

Dean enjoyed it, but has no desire to go back.  I think I'd like to get my girls -- Misty, Jen, Rachel and Gracie -- and plan a girls trip up to see lots of shows and shopping -- would be a blast!

If you have never been, go visit -- it really is a neat place.  And everyone was super nice too!  Lots of folks offered to help us when we were figuring out the subways, etc.   No bad experiences at all!

I did a contract in Connecticut and got to NYC and Boston and if ya think that the NYCers talk funny go up to Boston and ask them about Hahvahd!!!!!!!  (Harvard to us normal speaking people)

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

101stDad
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:34 EDT »

I did a contract in Connecticut and got to NYC and Boston and if ya think that the NYCers talk funny go up to Boston and ask them about Hahvahd!!!!!!!  (Harvard to us normal speaking people)

My son is married to a Boston girl.  Just about everybody in her family own second homes on Cape Cod, so we have spent a lot of time with them there.  Both sides have fun with the Boston and East Tennessee accents. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:40:05 EDT »

I went once on a school trip about 15 years ago.  I just remember bits and pieces, I wish I would've appreciated what a cool trip it was at the time.

In all honesty, sometimes I fantasize about living there.  I could dig it. 
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:42 EDT »

:-) I'm so glad you had fun.  It's the greatest city on the planet and New Yorkers, once you get past their cautious first blush, are wonderful & hospitable.  You saw a couple of friends in JERSEY BOYS, btw.      I do love that great, romantic city!!!
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:18 EDT »

:-) I'm so glad you had fun.  It's the greatest city on the planet and New Yorkers, once you get past their cautious first blush, are wonderful & hospitable.  You saw a couple of friends in JERSEY BOYS, btw.      I do love that great, romantic city!!!

Veeta, I LOVE NYC!   The energy in that city is amazing....who in Jersey boys are your buddys?    It was AMAZING!!!!  I will go back some day for another visit -- the hotel was amazing....loved it and the service was perfect!    Times Square -- ok, but I'd prefer just going to shows and eating at great restaurants -- and of course, maybe some shopping which I didn't have time for on this trip....other than buy the grandbabies a t-shirt.   Andaz 5th Avenue -- on the corner of 5th and 41st -- perfect location!

VOLveeta
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:40:11 EDT »

Granny, I just checked and one friend has left after two years.  But the other, Miles Aubrey, is still there!  He's such a talent and such a great guy!!!

yer palâ„¢,
me
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:22:32 EDT »

My son is married to a Boston girl.  Just about everybody in her family own second homes on Cape Cod, so we have spent a lot of time with them there.  Both sides have fun with the Boston and East Tennessee accents. 

While I was there I bought two t-shirts with the HAHVAHD on them...when I got back here the people were going like where is that...then they laughed when I explained it.....and what is so funny is that that is way that the true Bostonians say it.....In fact i was schooled on how to say it by two Bostonians I ate dinner with while there....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:50:04 EDT »

Granny, at some point in the future I'd like to get some tips from you regarding taking a trip to NYC.  Like I said, I've been once but it was a school trip and all the accommodations were arranged.  I'd like to know what is involved for planning a trip there, as I wouldn't even know where to begin and it seems overwhelming.  Thanks in advance! 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 03:37:12 EDT »

The last time I was in NYC was when my wife and I went to see a couple of shows and to go to the Statue of Liberty and Coney Island so I could ride the coaster. We took the subway out to Coney Island and went through the stations under the Twin Towers. We left on the Sunday before 9/11. I keep a picture of me at the Statue of Liberty with the towers in the background. We just have not had the heart to go back since that day. Now my wife is too sick to travel so we will never make it back.  The City is a fun place and Times Square on the weekend is electric.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:43:12 EDT »

Anytime Vinnie....I got help from Veeta and other friends familiar with NYC when I was planning.  Just send me a pm or email when ready.  I'm going back again as soon as I can!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: