VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 05:33:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview of the cavalqueer game  (Read 656 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2023, 05:57:22 EDT »

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2023/07/25/opponent-preview-virginia-cavaliers/

They had a QB last year that was expected to do well, did not, and transferred  But never fear.  This year's QB transferred in from Monmouth . I mean, have you heard of Monmouth!?!  Yeah.  Neither have I. 

WWFDT   

Disclaimer...getting cocky can be dangerous.  But c'mon....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 07:52:27 EDT »

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2023/07/25/opponent-preview-virginia-cavaliers/

They had a QB last year that was expected to do well, did not, and transferred  But never fear.  This year's QB transferred in from Monmouth . I mean, have you heard of Monmouth!?!  Yeah.  Neither have I. 

WWFDT   

Disclaimer...getting cocky can be dangerous.  But c'mon....

I still haven’t forgiven them for their band’s halftime show at the 91 Sugar Bowl. Hang 100 on their asses for all I care. 🖕🏻

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 01:37:31 EDT »

I still haven’t forgiven them for their band’s halftime show at the 91 Sugar Bowl. Hang 100 on their asses for all I care. 🖕🏻

What did they do? I don't recall?   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 04:00:28 EDT »

I was there!  But don’t remember the halftime show.

I remember VA fans behind us giving us a hard time for most of the game, yet somehow disappeared near the end of the game.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 05:43:12 EDT »

I was there in New Orleans....IIRC wasn't it like a alumni band?

Virginia fans could be pricks....Few years before I was at the UT-Miami game and I thought all 10 of the Miami fans that came were pretty nice 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 06:09:02 EDT »

At the time, they didn’t have an official school-sanctioned band. It was more of an informal club, and they were known for their irreverent performances (aka, the Stanford model). So after our team pulled a complete no-show in the first half, their band came out and gave a whole anti-Tennessee show complete with every stereotype you can imagine, culminating with them throwing a life-size Elvis doll down at midfield and stomping on it. They also went way beyond their allotted time, and the Pride basically had to march out while they were still on the field to force them off. After we came back to beat them in the 2nd half, Vol fans chanted “Don’t fizzle with Elvis” while walking out of the Superdome.

They have since scrapped this model and today have a traditional marching band. But I haven’t forgotten.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 07:49:04 EDT »

Princeton and most of the Ivies have (or had) those 'irreverent' bands.  They were as hilarious and politically incorrect as they come.  Most performed drunk off their a$$.  I imagine all of those bands have pretty much been neutered and given new pronouns by now.  Whenever the Princeton band went on the road they took 2 busses - the regular bus and the 'boot' bus.  BITD, 'boot' was slang for puke.  They never butt chugged to my recollection, but dayum, they partied pretty hardcore.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 04:33:54 EDT »

What didn't the Virginia fans do?  The whole week, and during the game, they chanted "It's great, to be, able to read".  Very obnoxious.  And yeah, the halftime show was pretty irreverant. I believe the Elvis doll they had was made to be drunk somehow, but that's all I remember about it.

It was very satisfying in that they led most of the game, and it looked like we were going to be blown out of the stadium but we came back and beat them.  I was very happy about that.

I had multiple Tom Collins and on the way out of the stadium, some of their fans were still chanting that chant. I got up in their faces and embarassed my buddies I was with. I told them I went to UT and was a National Merit scholar and they could stick their cheer where the sun don't shine.    My friends never forgave me for that, but I'd do it all over again. 

The other thing I recall is that there were a ton of Virginia sorority girls there, and Virginia has its share of good looking babes also. For this particular bowl game they favored tight sweaters.  So that was nice. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 02:51:21 EDT »

I had multiple Tom Collins and on the way out of the stadium, some of their fans were still chanting that chant. I got up in their faces and embarassed my buddies I was with. I told them I went to UT and was a National Merit scholar and they could stick their cheer where the sun don't shine.    My friends never forgave me for that, but I'd do it all over again. 

Remind me to stay away when you start on the Tom Collins 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 04:06:17 EDT »

Remind me to stay away when you start on the Tom Collins 

Come to think of it, it might have been Hurricanes...either way it was red and tasted like coolaid.  It was just very novel that they sold liquor in the stadium.  Whatever it was I was drinking, I was pretty intoxicated.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: