VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 04:27:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: By the way... today is 100 days and a wakeup until it's  (Read 2927 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:32:38 EDT »

Football Time in Tennessee. 

Tomorrow will be day 100 in the day countdown.

I haven't seen Cobra around in a while and he quit halfway through last year's countdown. I will try to do it this year but no promises.

I guess I am getting a little excited about the season. I've tried to go back and remember the swagger we had coming out of the Cincy game. Cincy was a good team and we destroyed them. At the time I felt Dooley was pushing the right buttons. The onside kick call in that game was a great call. But when Hunter got hurt, things went south and I don't think either the team or the staff did a good job dealing with adversity. The problem is that in the SEC you are going to deal with adversity... you either hit the other team back in the mouth or you get the hell beat out of you and I think Dooley lost his way when Hunter got injured. I am still pissed about the UK loss, but time has numbed that pain a little.

If we stay healthy, we should win at least 9 games. Frankly I'm sick and tired of Tennessee fans who try to cushion expectations. We're Tennessee and we play in the best damn league in America... we as fans deserve to expect to compete. It's time to stop making excuses and start winning games again. Injuries suck and injuries were the catalyst for our "come apart" last year but now I'm ready to not hear excuses. This team is set up offensively to score > 30 points a game. And that's why short of 9 wins I'm done with Dooley. Sadly, I don't have any confidence in him at this point... he's going to have to show me he can coach. For all of the drawl and humor and funny quips, his biggest win is OT over Vandy at home. fizzle that noise. We're Tennessee.

I didn't intend for this post to go that direction.   

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:58 EDT »

Well said, and I feel the same way.

Do you agree or disagree that losing to UF will push the majority of the fanbase over the edge?

I think it would set in motion a storm of negativity thay Dooley will be unable to overcome.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:07 EDT »

I don't know if I'm as excited as you are (yet), but it is good to see you here talking about football again.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:56:07 EDT »

Well said, and I feel the same way.

Do you agree or disagree that losing to UF will push the majority of the fanbase over the edge?

I think it would set in motion a storm of negativity thay Dooley will be unable to overcome.

Fair or not, losing to UF at home will cause a good part of the fan base to either turn on him or finally write him off. I'm not sure that's fair because in the end it's about the sum total of the season, but when you look at what UF has coming back and then look at what we have coming back, we should win that game period. I will admit that I am basing my wish to come to the Alabama game based solely on what happens against UF. If they beat UF I will come to Alabama. If they don't I will stay home.

I think if they lose to UF they are going to fall apart again like last year and it'll be academic... we can all argue over whether he will be fired if he loses to UF or if he wins 7-8 games but if they fall apart and finish 5 and 7, especially with a loss to Vandy, his run is over. And I've seen precedent that his teams will fall apart. Frankly I was surprised by last year because the year before he held that team together but last year they quit on him.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:29 EDT »

Fair or not, losing to UF at home will cause a good part of the fan base to either turn on him or finally write him off. I'm not sure that's fair because in the end it's about the sum total of the season, but when you look at what UF has coming back and then look at what we have coming back, we should win that game period. I will admit that I am basing my wish to come to the Alabama game based solely on what happens against UF. If they beat UF I will come to Alabama. If they don't I will stay home.

I think if they lose to UF they are going to fall apart again like last year and it'll be academic... we can all argue over whether he will be fired if he loses to UF or if he wins 7-8 games but if they fall apart and finish 5 and 7, especially with a loss to Vandy, his run is over. And I've seen precedent that his teams will fall apart. Frankly I was surprised by last year because the year before he held that team together but last year they quit on him.

I want him to succeed this year, not just for the obvious reasons, but also for the future.  Look at our roster- there are only 4 senior starters.  Even if some combo of Bray/Hunter/Rogers leaves early, I think we have a chance to be even better in 2013.  But not if we have another coaching change.  That's not to say I want to keep Dooley no matter what- like you, I expect 9 wins this year.  If that happens and Dooley survives this season, He could build up a lot of equity next year.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:10:23 EDT »

I don't know if I'm as excited as you are (yet), but it is good to see you here talking about football again.

No kidding. Enough with the hockey chicken shizzle. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:18 EDT »

No kidding. Enough with the hockey chicken shizzle. 

Shush. That's still an open wound. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: