VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:50:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: -snicker-...  (Read 7055 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:28:51 EDT »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:38:20 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:39:46 EDT »

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=35076.0

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:48:10 EDT »

Not for those of us without VQ access.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:11 EDT »

There is talk of changing the rules so that only division games count for the division championship.  This would be a great change if it does go thru.  The cross div game should count for the Nat Championship, not the Div championship.  The Conf Champ comes from the SECCG.  I really don't see how you can argue against it.  Counting these games for Div Champs is so grossly unfair to begin with.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:08 EDT »

There is talk of changing the rules so that only division games count for the division championship.  This would be a great change if it does go thru.  The cross div game should count for the Nat Championship, not the Div championship.  The Conf Champ comes from the SECCG.  I really don't see how you can argue against it.  Counting these games for Div Champs is so grossly unfair to begin with.

That's a solid suggestion going forward.  And if the UF/LSU game isn't played, it would solve this particular problem in this particular season.  But what if a similar situation affects a division game in the future?  What if UT/UF or UF/UGA were cancelled, and someone like Mizzou backed into the SECC as a result?  There needs to be a system that accounts for all contingencies.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 01:52:00 EDT »

There IS a system. The bylaws clearly state " 8 games". Spankey just needs to grow a pair.

Dam phone dropped the 8. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:35:24 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:40 EDT »

Conference Championship. [SEC Bylaw 30.22.1.3] The Conference champion will be determined by a game
 between the two division champions. The team in each division with the highest percentage of wins during all regular season
 Conference competition will be declared division champion. If two or more teams are tied with the highest
 percentage of wins, they will be declared division co-champions. Division standings will be calculated on a percentage
 basis, using only those Conference games which are a part of the regular rotating schedule. Details on all tie-breaking
 procedures are outlined in these Commissioner's Regulations. The site of the championship game shall be set by a
 vote of the Conference member institutions.

If the championship game is cancelled (due to act of God, war, terrorist attack, or other reason beyond the control of
 the Conference), the two divisional champions (utilizing any divisional tie-breakers as outlined) shall be declared cochampions
 and the following procedures will be used to determine the Conference representative to the Sugar Bowl
 or, if the Sugar Bowl is the College Football Playoff (CFP) semi-final game, the relevant CFP access bowl:
 1. A team ranked either No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, or No. 4 in the final CFP Selection Committee Rankings will
 automatically be placed in the CFP semi-final game;

Regular-Season Competition/Scheduling. Regular-season competition and scheduling are governed by the
 following:

1. Each Conference team shall play eight Conference games each year. The schedule will consist of a 6-1-1
 format, whereby each institution will play all six of its division opponents, one permanent opponent and one
 rotating opponent from the other division each year. The permanent non-division opponents will be as
 follows:

 Alabama v. Tennessee
 Arkansas v. Missouri
 Auburn v. Georgia
 LSU v. Florida
 Ole Miss v. Vanderbilt
 Mississippi State v. Kentucky
 Texas A&M v. South Carolina

The remaining six non-divisional opponents will be played on a rotating basis. The sites, dates, and rotation
 of the eight-game schedule shall be set by administrative action of the Conference. Any conflicts that result
 in this schedule that cannot be resolved by the institutions involved will be submitted to the SEC Presidents
 and Chancellors for final resolution.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 02:36:02 EDT »

That's a solid suggestion going forward.  And if the UF/LSU game isn't played, it would solve this particular problem in this particular season.  But what if a similar situation affects a division game in the future?  What if UT/UF or UF/UGA were cancelled, and someone like Mizzou backed into the SECC as a result?  There needs to be a system that accounts for all contingencies.

Yes, fer sure.  I don't particularly agree that the current bylaws cover this.  The rules  should state explicitly that if all division games are not played, teams are not eligible to be div champ.  Perhaps some contingencies need to be placed on top of that

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:37:09 EDT »

Yes, fer sure.  I don't particularly agree that the current bylaws cover this.  The rules  should state explicitly that if all division games are not played, teams are not eligible to be div champ.  Perhaps some contingencies need to be placed on top of that

I tend to believe the part where it says "Each Conference team will play eight Conference games each year".

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 03:54:55 EDT »

There is absolutely no reason this game couldn't have been played in Gainesville, on Sunday or Monday.  The main excuses I keep seeing elsewhere are that "it was a statewide emergency, and all the first responders and emergency personnel were sent to the effected areas", and "many of our players have loved ones that were in harm's way".  Bullshizzle.  There were three FBS games played in the Sunshine State this weekend:

Florida State at Miami
East Carolina at South Florida
Charlotte at Florida Atlantic (Sunday)

Somehow, those three all managed to round up enough security and emergency personnel.  And I'm sure many of those players had friends and family in the storm's path as well.  In addition, Florida International's players apparently had no problem leaving their loved ones behind and making a trip to UTEP.  

And that's just Florida.  All the games in Georgia and the Carolinas went on as planned, too.  The only other game that was postponed and has yet to be played is Tulane at UCF- and that's because it was a Friday Night game (things were looking much less certain 24 hours earlier) and both schools had a common bye week in November.

There was even an NFL game in Miami yesterday.

So you can go ahead an stop it with your self-righteous guilt trip, crocs.  Regional and national pundits are absolutely right to call your motives into question.  Frankly, you look like a bunch of cowards.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:58:16 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:33 EDT »

So you can go ahead an stop it with your self-righteous guilt trip, crocs.  Regional and national pundits are absolutely right to call your motives into question.  Frankly, you look like are a bunch of cowards.

FIFY 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:59 EDT »

FIFY 

Just fyi, at first I typed a stronger word than "cowards", but then thought better of it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 02:21:18 EDT »

Just fyi, at first I typed a stronger word than "cowards", but then thought better of it.

A word that Billy Bush would have secretly recorded. 

tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 04:52:14 EDT »

Yeah you don't want to fall into the inenviable position of having to defend liking the opposite gender.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 04:59:10 EDT »

Yeah you don't want to fall into the inenviable position of having to defend liking the opposite gender.

That too!  Why limit it to one word?   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 06:16:44 EDT »

I tend to believe the part where it says "Each Conference team will play eight Conference games each year".

In my line of work there is a real hair splitting difference when requirements say "will" vs "shall".  I'm totally serious.  "will" means there is an intent to do something - there is wiggle room there, IMO.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 07:20:30 EDT »

In my line of work there is a real hair splitting difference when requirements say "will" vs "shall".  I'm totally serious.  "will" means there is an intent to do something - there is wiggle room there, IMO.

I am all too aware of that difference. Painfully aware.   

So what are you working on now?  The extended New Horizons, or maybe something you can't discuss?

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 08:52:09 EDT »

I am all too aware of that difference. Painfully aware.   

So what are you working on now?  The extended New Horizons, or maybe something you can't discuss?

solarprobe.jhuapl.edu

We're building the s/c now, and we launch in 2018.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:51:48 EDT »

Well, after reading the VS, I'll just come out with it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qLjfCKZ-M2s" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/qLjfCKZ-M2s</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 03:32:36 EDT »

solarprobe.jhuapl.edu

We're building the s/c now, and we launch in 2018.

Cool. I was just in a meeting today with a couple of the physicists doing some testing for that project at Marshall, although we were presenting a different project.  That's a really big deal to the heliophysics community.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 05:35:27 EDT »

Cool. I was just in a meeting today with a couple of the physicists doing some testing for that project at Marshall, although we were presenting a different project.  That's a really big deal to the heliophysics community.

It is a pretty big program, and it's going to be a pretty thrilling one.  We will have a very elliptical orbit around the sun where the high end is a little beyond Venus and the low end brings us very close to the sun for a ~2 week period.  The plan is to get within 10 solar radii distance from the sun!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 08:18:01 EDT »

It is a pretty big program, and it's going to be a pretty thrilling one.  We will have a very elliptical orbit around the sun where the high end is a little beyond Venus and the low end brings us very close to the sun for a ~2 week period.  The plan is to get within 10 solar radii distance from the sun!

Yep.  Some of the testing for the program is taking place in a building about 100 yards from where I sit, and I know some of the guys that work there pretty well.  In fact, one of them is a huge Vol fan.  They were talking about the close approach  yesterday in a side bar, and also the numerous Venus gravity assists to achieve the close approach.  It is a pretty exciting mission. 

The project I attended the review for yesterday is a proposed type of electric propulsion that might enable high solar inclination orbits.  Heliophysicists really want polar data to go along with what Solar Probe will find, and we are looking at low cost ways of doing that. 

I didn't realize the launch date was so close (relatively speaking), but now that I think about it, it has been funded for quite a few years now.

10EC
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 09:03:27 EDT »

How hot are we talking?  What materials are used to handle that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: