VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 04:45:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few things we have to do collectively....  (Read 2853 times)
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:26:12 EST »

....first I guess we should make up our minds between the two. Did Shiano get torpedoed because of his association with Sandusky? Or did Shiano get torpedoed because he would make a lousy coach? Nobody is going to like my opinion but here it is... I don't know the extent to which Shiano was associated with Sandusky. But his getting torpedoed being based on a direct knowledge of Sandusky's activities is a credible reason to give negative feedback proactively protecting the student body (no pun intended).
      The purpose for obstructing him being based on his coaching potential is much more subjective. He has credits nearly as good as Butch's were when he was hired. I would also think he risks liability to the recruiting process particularly where parents of the students are concerned. All an opposing coach would have to do to sour the parent or kid to UT is to bring up the Sandusky crap. Yeah, now that I think about it you guys are right.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:35:02 EST »

I think the Sandusky stuff was exaggerated because he is a mediocre coach.  But at the same time, it was a good miss, a very good miss.  Whatever the fallout from how it went down, we are much better off not hiring him.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:46 EST »

....first I guess we should make up our minds between the two. Did Shiano get torpedoed because of his association with Sandusky? Or did Shiano get torpedoed because he would make a lousy coach? Nobody is going to like my opinion but here it is... I don't know the extent to which Shiano was associated with Sandusky. But his getting torpedoed being based on a direct knowledge of Sandusky's activities is a credible reason to give negative feedback proactively protecting the student body (no pun intended).
      The purpose for obstructing him being based on his coaching potential is much more subjective. He has credits nearly as good as Butch's were when he was hired. I would also think he risks liability to the recruiting process particularly where parents of the students are concerned. All an opposing coach would have to do to sour the parent or kid to UT is to bring up the Sandusky crap. Yeah, now that I think about it you guys are right.

I think the Sandusky issue was merely the vehicle for his demise for the majority, and while it was my main hang up, I'm ok with that. The over arching backdrop is he's a mediocre coach at best, and after dealing with the dooley & jones decade of disappointment, people are just plain tired of settling of another 5 years of it when there's more than a few quality coaches that OPENLY expressed interest in coming to UT.

The questions that begs an answers: who wanted Shiano, and why did they want him. He offers nothing from what I see, and on top of that, he's an #badword#

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:15 EST »

I think the Sandusky issue was merely the vehicle for his demise for the majority, and while it was my main hang up, I'm ok with that. The over arching backdrop is he's a mediocre coach at best, and after dealing with the dooley & jones decade of disappointment, people are just plain tired of settling of another 5 years of it when there's more than a few quality coaches that OPENLY expressed interest in coming to UT.

The questions that begs an answers: who wanted Shiano, and why did they want him. He offers nothing from what I see, and on top of that, he's an #badword#

Agree 100%

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:58 EST »

I think Schiano is a pretty damn good coach, but he is simply NOT cut out to be a HEAD football coach at a major conference school.  He has clearly shown throughout his career he has no idea how to relate to today's top tier player.  The more I look into him, the more I am convinced of it.  A good HFC has to be a good disciplinarian and a "players" coach - at the same damn time, which is very hard to do and not many folks can pull that off.  Schiano only knows the discipline side of that.  His NFL debacle gives you an idea of how he would relate to top notch college recruits, I am sure.  His personality worked just fine with the lower tier players at Rutgers back in the 90s, but there is no way in hell it's gonna play with the 4 & 5 star guys of today.  And we thought Butch had problems "managing" some of the players.  Schiano would have been an unmitigated disaster, even if he had been able to recruit.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:07 EST »

I didn't want Schiano at all as soon as I started hearing his name, I don't think much of him as a coach and thought he would be a horrible fit here period.  I didn't even know about his link to the Penn State stuff at first but when I saw that I was convinced it was a colossal joke or misunderstanding.  "No way this is Currie's guy", I thought.  Even two days later all I can say is, wow... that seriously almost happened.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:50:09 EST »

When he was hired, I saw all the warnings from K-State fans about how bad Currie was. How he was incompetent in relations coaches and selecting them. His peers touted his AD skills and ability to raise money. The fans objected to the results on the field and court. But I heard no one lamenting the fact that he was leaving K-State and in fact their was rejoicing from the fans.

The debacle with selecting Schiano in seeming complete secrecy and then having it blow up in your face shows a complete lack of skill in management. He is not Hamilton 2.0, he is Hamilton 1.B. A complete nebbish that cannot think for himself and allows others to due work for him. Like Hamilton, he has seemingly surrounded himself with yes men that are only going to feed him information to support a decision handed to him by his boss. Which is OK as long as you understand you will be blamed for a bad decision and well paid to take the blame.

If this truly was a Currie choice, fans now realize Currie is truly an idiot. He has presented no evidence other than "I just decided he was the best choice." The fans reply is "You did not look hard enough then because he was not the best choice of the bunch of mediocre coaches out there."

My thought is I am glad Attila the Hun is dead and never coached football. He was a good disciplinarian too.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:28 EST »

I didn't want Schiano at all as soon as I started hearing his name, I don't think much of him as a coach and thought he would be a horrible fit here period.  I didn't even know about his link to the Penn State stuff at first but when I saw that I was convinced it was a colossal joke or misunderstanding.  "No way this is Currie's guy", I thought.  Even two days later all I can say is, wow... that seriously almost happened.

My reaction when his name was gloated was....why???   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: