VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:31:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What high school teams look tough this year? I'm going to my  (Read 1976 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:33:38 EDT »

40th reunion Bristol on 11 Oct. It starts by us watching my Tennessee High Viking game that night in the Stone Castle. Then we have drinks at Hotel Bristol. The main reunion is Saturday night the 12th. Who have the best HS teams in East Tennessee so far?

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:01:34 EDT »

I looked it up.....https://sonnymoorepowerratings.com/h-s-foot.htm Dang Maryville has one heck of a program. Tough most every year. How come? BTW Dobyns Bennet beat Tennessee high the first game of the year. Sad Face

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:31:49 EDT »

UET - DB better, Greeneville still the best team in the state in 4A even though Powell beat them in week 1, and Davy Crockett a good, but not great, 5A program.  UET football still not really strong. 

In the Knoxville area it is Maryville still the biggest dog, Alcoa will win a 3A championship once again, and Anderson County still the second best 4A program behind Greeneville. 

5A is the loaded classification in the East this year.  Knoxville Central is the defending state champs and ranked #1 right now, but also in the top 10 are undefeated Powell and West, and South-Doyle, whose only loss is to Anderson County.  SD lost it's 4 year starter QB the week before that loss, and looked a bit shellshocked before rebounding with a sophomore QB who has his legs under him now.  That makes 4 of the top 10 ranked 5A teams in the most recent AP poll from Knox County. 

One of the bigger area games this week will be 5-0 Powell at 5-0 Halls in the annual Battle of Emory Road.  Bigger on paper, anyway.  Halls has won with smoke and mirrors and narrowly escaped in at least 3 games they easily could have lost.  And their schedule has been a joke.  Only a couple of wins between the teams they have beaten.  Powell should handle them fairly easily. 

Surprise teams the other way are Fulton, who is winless, and Oak Ridge, who has already lost twice. 

Gatlinburg Pittman also a surprise team in 3A still unbeaten, and Austin East is having a very good year, too. 

Can't really speak for 1A and 2A since I don't follow them as closely.  Creek can better speak there. 

And the private schools divisions, I don't give a rats ass.  They all cheat.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:56:46 EDT »

Can't really speak for 1A and 2A since I don't follow them as closely.  Creek can better speak there.  

The teams to beat in East Tennessee in 1A and 2A are Meigs County and Greenback, hands down. Greenback may be a state championship team in Class 1A. They have a strong side DE in Derrell Bailey Jr. who is an absolute beast. He's a VaTech commit who had several offers from the SEC, including LSU and Auburn (no offer from Tennessee, strangely). They have another DL who's a freshman and is already getting some interest from several schools, including Oklahoma. Their best player, though, may be a wide receiver named Holden Willis. He's only got one offer (Tulane) but he can scoot.

Meigs County beat Greenback by a TD a few weeks ago and is ranked No. 2 in 2A. Their QB, Aaron Swafford, is a 2-time Mr. Football (probably 3-time by the time this year is over) and is headed to Navy.

Aside from them, there isn't much on this side. You might throw Oneida in that mix. They'll get Meigs in a couple of weeks for what will likely be the 2-2A championship game but I'm skeptical Oneida has what it takes to get past Meigs. They fell to Greenback 20-7 a couple of weeks ago and really had their chances but gave up a couple of key plays that got them beat. South Greene is also unbeaten and looks legit. It's hard to gauge those teams from upper East TN because there isn't a lot of competition up there sometimes...but S-Greene put up 51 on Cocke County a few weeks ago. I know Cocke County isn't a powerhouse by any means (sorry Vinny!) but any time you're a 2A team and you put up 50+ on a 5A team, that's impressive. South Greene beat Oneida in last year's playoffs in maybe the most controversial game I've ever seen in Tennessee high school football (two rules changes resulted from it, and if TSSAA was actually in the business of forcing teams to go back out and replay games [obviously they're not] that would've been a good candidate for it), then got waxed by Meigs. If they get that far again this year (and I think they probably will), the result will likely be the same.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 01:01:03 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 01:59:52 EDT »

Here in West Tn  the best in 4A is Haywood County and Hardin County......In 3A it's Covington who played in the state championship game last year. In class 2A it's Trenton Peabody who won the 2A state championship last year and is probably the best team in West Tn no matter the classification......In class 1A Huntingdon is the best by far but has a habit of getting upset in the playoffs....Then Lake County won has won state championships in the past is undefeated and has one of their better teams in several years.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 06:56:30 EDT »

Here in West Tn  the best in 4A is Haywood County and Hardin County......In 3A it's Covington who played in the state championship game last year. In class 2A it's Trenton Peabody who won the 2A state championship last year and is probably the best team in West Tn no matter the classification......In class 1A Huntingdon is the best by far but has a habit of getting upset in the playoffs....Then Lake County won has won state championships in the past is undefeated and has one of their better teams in several years.

Wait no love for my 5A Henry County patriots in West Tennessee? Had a rough start against Haywood in week 1 but beat mighty 6A Brentwood two weeks ago and rounding into form with a true freshman QB. Finished last year as class 5A runner up in a weird state title game
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 04:26:24 EDT »

Have any of you ever been to game at the Stone Castle at Tennessee High. It's a neat stadium.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:06 EDT »

Wait no love for my 5A Henry County patriots in West Tennessee? Had a rough start against Haywood in week 1 but beat mighty 6A Brentwood two weeks ago and rounding into form with a true freshman QB. Finished last year as class 5A runner up in a weird state title game

True....Henry County has a good program and I know the coach and the AD real well. Henry County is one of those programs that's just out there in no mans land. Because they are so far North and close to the Tennessee river they play in a region East of the river so they don't get a lot of press here.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 05:21:43 EDT »

UET - DB better, Greeneville still the best team in the state in 4A even though Powell beat them in week 1, and Davy Crockett a good, but not great, 5A program.  UET football still not really strong. 

In the Knoxville area it is Maryville still the biggest dog, Alcoa will win a 3A championship once again, and Anderson County still the second best 4A program behind Greeneville. 

5A is the loaded classification in the East this year.  Knoxville Central is the defending state champs and ranked #1 right now, but also in the top 10 are undefeated Powell and West, and South-Doyle, whose only loss is to Anderson County.  SD lost it's 4 year starter QB the week before that loss, and looked a bit shellshocked before rebounding with a sophomore QB who has his legs under him now.  That makes 4 of the top 10 ranked 5A teams in the most recent AP poll from Knox County. 

One of the bigger area games this week will be 5-0 Powell at 5-0 Halls in the annual Battle of Emory Road.  Bigger on paper, anyway.  Halls has won with smoke and mirrors and narrowly escaped in at least 3 games they easily could have lost.  And their schedule has been a joke.  Only a couple of wins between the teams they have beaten.  Powell should handle them fairly easily. 

Surprise teams the other way are Fulton, who is winless, and Oak Ridge, who has already lost twice. 

Gatlinburg Pittman also a surprise team in 3A still unbeaten, and Austin East is having a very good year, too. 

Can't really speak for 1A and 2A since I don't follow them as closely.  Creek can better speak there. 

And the private schools divisions, I don't give a rats ass.  They all cheat.   
I saw where Rang is at GP now - good for him

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: