VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 05:40:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brent's column this week is dead on  (Read 3808 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:38:02 EDT »

This team and this fan base is setting on a powder keg.  All we need is an ignition source and I think sometime before the clock strikes 00:00 Saturday afternoon it will have been found

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:00:04 EDT »

Agree with that 110%.  This game is huge, and that powder keg will blow no matter the outcome of the game.  UT fans expect to beat a UF team that is 2-8 in its last 10 games, and I don't see why they shouldn't.  This is a game UT should win.  No excuses if we don't. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:13:57 EDT »

I haven't even read it but I agree based on your summary.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:37:08 EDT »

I missed this in preseason:  "In the Vols pre-season ticket campaign, Jones sitting in an empty Neyland Stadium, said, "Every generation has it's banner years," then turned to the camera and gave you the pitch with a stone face: "Yours is coming"."

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:08:48 EDT »

I disagree that we should win this game.  We have played well so far with a VERY young team but FL is older, mature, and probably more talented than we are.  We have played over our heads so far and I dont care about vegas odds(they have nothing to do with who will win, they are designed to keep the betting equal on both sides).  I think we played well enough to be respectable against OK and UGA but we lost both those, I dont expect we will beat a better FL team.  And if we lose to FL, so what?  We are one of the youngest teams in the country, Butch has overachieved and outperformed most expectations both with recruiting and with coaching this young team to play above their heads.  Just because we had two moral victories against good teams does not mean we should expect to beat a team that isnt as good as UGA or OK.  FL is still the better team.  I usually have a huge jug of orange Koolade and think we will beat everyone but realistically, I am finally happy with our coaching staff and think we are getting there....Butch and the rewards that I think are coming has given me patience.   I want to beat UF but doubt we will...and will not be upset if we lose.  Our time is coming, it just hasnt arrived yet. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:07 EDT »

I disagree that we should win this game.  We have played well so far with a VERY young team but FL is older, mature, and probably more talented than we are.  We have played over our heads so far and I dont care about vegas odds(they have nothing to do with who will win, they are designed to keep the betting equal on both sides).  I think we played well enough to be respectable against OK and UGA but we lost both those, I dont expect we will beat a better FL team.  And if we lose to FL, so what?  We are one of the youngest teams in the country, Butch has overachieved and outperformed most expectations both with recruiting and with coaching this young team to play above their heads.  Just because we had two moral victories against good teams does not mean we should expect to beat a team that isnt as good as UGA or OK.  FL is still the better team.  I usually have a huge jug of orange Koolade and think we will beat everyone but realistically, I am finally happy with our coaching staff and think we are getting there....Butch and the rewards that I think are coming has given me patience.   I want to beat UF but doubt we will...and will not be upset if we lose.  Our time is coming, it just hasnt arrived yet. 

With all due respect, you sir are wrong.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:21 EDT »

With all due respect, you sir are wrong.   

I agree!!

On paper, Florida should probably beat Tennessee. The talent and experience factors both go to the Gators. But throw in the coaching and the current mentality at Florida, and this is a game we should win. I don't think it's a must-win. But it's one we NEED to win.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:31:18 EDT »

2-8 in their last 10. 

UT should win this game at home. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:24 EDT »

I expect to win but it won't be the end of the world if we dont.

I am basing it on desire ... uf sldoes not seem hungry and UT does.

But butch still gets a pass from me this year.  Next will be different and if the record is not much better in 2016 we can thank him for the recruits and move on to the next guy.

But come on Holler...we will kill the gators and STOMP THEIR EGGS! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:10:36 EDT »

Fla hasn't shown anything to me this year..They went into ot against UK at home..had they not lucked out that game they would be 1-2..UT is young but finally has the talent to compete with Fla and CBJ and his staff have done great in coaching this young team all the fundamentals,is why they have been one of the least penalized teams in the country this year..I see UT winning this game if Worley stays healthy..With Peterman,not so much
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:09 EDT »

It will come down to how each team responds.  Florida has been painted as a team that lacks confidence and one would think that since Muschamp is a dead man walking they would be really uptight.  Whereas we've been playing with confidence and have competed for 60 minutes at OK and UGA.  If these trends continue into Saturday I like our chances.  But, what if UF comes out playing lights out, pissed off, and fired up to prove everyone wrong.  Also, it's kind of a different situation for TN because many are sort of expecting them to win.  How does TN respond when in that position vs a SEC foe?

If we play on par with our performances so far and Florida does likewise, I think we win.  We shall see, though. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: