VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 05:00:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Gruden mania  (Read 2153 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:40 EST »

I am at a loss as to why everyone seems to be so disappointed in whomever the coach will end up being.

At the end of the day the ENTIRE episode was internet and fan driven (with perhaps the assistance of 1 or 2 large donors who most likely were the instigators).  You cannot say the University and/or the AD misled any of us.  ON VQ you have Hubbs and Brice being screamed at because from day one they have been the voice of reason and even when Brent states flat out what they have learned they are being screamed at because it doesn’t match the preconceived notion that Gruden mania can’t possibly choose not to come to the Hill.

In the end my belief it was a long shot, at best.  I also believe it is best for the VOLS and the University to get a proven college head coach.  Even (IMO) the worst of the coaches on the supposed hot lists (Golden) would be an improvement over Dooley. 

I hear a lot of talk about a coach exciting the fan base.  WINNING excites a fan base and the coaches we have been hearing about will return us to winning.  The only question is which one will lead us to a) winning the fastest and b) winning the most.

Go VOLS!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:49 EST »

I don't know why it's so hard to understand. Once you convince yourself that something is going to happen, it's a letdown when it doesn't happen. The majority of UT fans wanted Gruden and convinced themselves it would happen. You didn't, and so for you it isn't that big a deal. Simple as that. We all knew -- and said -- that the problem with Grudenmania was fans building themselves up for a huge letdown, but human emotion is human emotion.

I didn't expect Gruden to come to UT and I'm pretty apathetic right now, I guess because on some level I held out hope that maybe this search wouldn't end in a cluster. I have my preferences on the list of so-called targets but there isn't a name on that list that truly excites me. And I felt that way back when it first became apparent that UT would have to fire Dooley, before this Gruden talk had ever gotten fired up.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:46:59 EST »

Largely agree

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:56 EST »

So thankful for the voice of reason.   
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:55 EST »

Nail meet head.   

If I never see another post that says,"I've seen a post from (or talked to) so-and-so and he is an insider who know what's going on and he said yada yada yada.", it'll be too soon.
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:55:16 EST »

Yep.  Not trying to say I told you so, but as I tired hard to point out, Gruden to UT just never made sense in the first place from Gruden's perspective. 

Like the old saying goes, you can't lose what you never had.  We never had Gruden.  Time to move on. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: