VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 03:27:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Wilcox  (Read 5017 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:02 EDT »

is awesome. He basically took these guys, with less experience, and turned them into 28th best defense in the land last year.

If nothing else happens, Sunseri needs to be gone. Now

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:56:49 EDT »

But Wilcox wasn't on the same page as Dooley. Sunseri was.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:18 EDT »

Sunseri has been a huge disappointment to me. I think I could do a better job. Seriously. Basically the ex-bama coaches to UT so far has not fared well. The thing is, we also have an ex Bama AC.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:00:34 EDT »

I think Dooley is in the wrong book.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:01:52 EDT »

I think Dooley is in the wrong book.

Dooley's book is probably a coloring book

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:11:31 EDT »

is awesome. He basically took these guys, with less experience, and turned them into 28th best defense in the land last year.

If nothing else happens, Sunseri needs to be gone. Now

Agree.  Although as murfvol mentioned the other day, last year teams didn't need to score as much.

But that doesn't even come close to explaining it.

Agree that regardless, Sunseri has to go, and take probably both DB coaches with him.  Retain at least the DL coach for continuty and get an established DC in.  Continuity or no, it could not...possibly...get worse.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:58:17 EDT »

Exactly, a lot of these folks were saying that Sunseri was an upgrade. Wilcox is one of the brightest young coaches in the game, and out brilliant head coach ran him off.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:09 EST »

Exactly, a lot of these folks were saying that Sunseri was an upgrade. Wilcox is one of the brightest young coaches in the game, and out brilliant head coach ran him off.

Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't.  I heard from a Washington alum that they wanted Wilcox really bad and offered him more money.

Dooley and/or Hart refused to bid to get him back.  Dooley well have not wanted to keep him, but then again, how do you outbid someone for an assistant coach after going 5-7?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:57:40 EST »

Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't.  I heard from a Washington alum that they wanted Wilcox really bad and offered him more money.

Dooley and/or Hart refused to bid to get him back.  Dooley well have not wanted to keep him, but then again, how do you outbid someone for an assistant coach after going 5-7?   

Dooley didn't want him and Wilcox wasn't keen on working for Dooley anymore.

Fact.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:07 EST »

Gotta say I'm not sure Wilcox is that great. He is however infinitely better than our current situation - though several inanimate objects in my garage would be as well.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:23 EST »

Dooley didn't want him and Wilcox wasn't keen on working for Dooley anymore.

I followed the situation up till the point that Wilcox and all the other coaches bailed, then tuned it all out. It was just too ridiculously bad.  After losing to UK, we turn over 70% of our staff...which can't be good.  It just can't be.  I didn't even want to think about it anymore.

I don't recall it being very clear at the time what happened with Wilcox.  It seemed it could be either Wilcox got mad and left, Dooley ran him off, or a little of both.

My Washington friend said that UDub fans were all excited to get Wilcox.  He has ties in the area and apparently they wanted him even before he came to UT.

That was an element I had previously been unaware of.

What I know for fact, an actual fact, is that Wilcox is definitely getting a lot more than he made at UT.   Those facts can be looked up.

Dooley did make noises about wanting a more aggressive D after Wilcox left.  Was that true or was he just spinning the fact that he couldn't hold on to Wilcox? 

Someone also posted below that Dooley gave Wilcox a bad eval at the end of the year and Wilcox got mad and left.

All that stuff is just speculation, as far as I am concerned.  I certainly didn't sit in on Justin's eval with Dooley or hear what Hart was saying to Dooley or ..... whatever.

I DO know that Wilcox is getting paid  a lot more...something I didn't know before last week.  As far as I am concerned, everything else is speculation.

Sorry...more than 140 characters.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:01:08 EST by BanditVol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 04:13:31 EST »

I followed the situation up till the point that Wilcox and all the other coaches bailed, then tuned it all out. It was just too ridiculously bad.  After losing to UK, we turn over 70% of our staff...which can't be good.  It just can't be.  I didn't even want to think about it anymore.

I don't recall it being very clear at the time what happened with Wilcox.  It seemed it could be either Wilcox got mad and left, Dooley ran him off, or a little of both.

My Washington friend said that UDub fans were all excited to get Wilcox.  He has ties in the area and apparently they wanted him even before he came to UT.

That was an element I had previously been unaware of.

What I know for fact, an actual fact, is that Wilcox is definitely getting a lot more than he made at UT.   Those facts can be looked up.

Dooley did make noises about wanting a more aggressive D after Wilcox left.  Was thar true or was he just spinning the fact that he couldn't hold on to Wilcox? 

Someone also posted below that Dooley gave Wilcox a bad eval at the end of the year and Wilcox got mad and left.

All that stuff is just speculation, as far as I am concerned.  I certainly didn't sit in on Justin's eval with Dooley or hear what Hart was saying to Dooley or ..... whatever.

I DO know that Wilcox is getting paid  a lot more...something I didn't know before last week.  As far as I am concerned, everything else is speculation.

Sorry...more than 140 characters.  

Sigh, do you honestly think I'm just making stuff up?

I do not believe everything I read,fyi.  But when some people speak, like well respected contributors on Volquest's pay site.. It carries more weight than if you or I just threw it out there. 

I never questioned what your UW alum friend said.    But it's a fact Dooley and Wilcox didn't jive.
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 04:23:20 EST »

This is nothing that hasn't been discussed before, but how ironic is it that if Wilcox were still UT's DC, the Vols are 7-2, maybe even 8-1, and nobody is talking about firing Dooley? And for those who say that's proof that Dooley should get at least one more year, I say that part of being a head coach is picking the right assistants for your staff and there's quite a bit of evidence that Dooley didn't want Wilcox. As for the argument that UT could not outbid Washington for him, we're currently paying Sunseri more than they're paying Wilcox.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:48:14 EST »

This is nothing that hasn't been discussed before, but how ironic is it that if Wilcox were still UT's DC, the Vols are 7-2, maybe even 8-1, and nobody is talking about firing Dooley? And for those who say that's proof that Dooley should get at least one more year, I say that part of being a head coach is picking the right assistants for your staff and there's quite a bit of evidence that Dooley didn't want Wilcox. As for the argument that UT could not outbid Washington for him, we're currently paying Sunseri more than they're paying Wilcox.

Either of two things happened. They either couldn't get along or Wilcox missed the left coast. Dooley's job was not in question for the most part. Noise started after the ky loss but it was not that loud.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:54:53 EST »

Either of two things happened. They either couldn't get along or Wilcox missed the left coast. Dooley's job was not in question for the most part. Noise started after the ky loss but it was not that loud.

It was likely some of both.  Dooley just made Wilcox's decision really easy.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 05:11:57 EST »

Sigh, do you honestly think I'm just making stuff up?

I do not believe everything I read,fyi.  But when some people speak, like well respected contributors on Volquest's pay site.. It carries more weight than if you or I just threw it out there. 

I never questioned what your UW alum friend said.    But it's a fact Dooley and Wilcox didn't jive.

I don't doubt that it's true that Dooley and Wilcox did not see eye to eye.  There were stories about that all along.  To what extent it was true, I dont know.  All I am saying is that until recently I didn't realize that Wilcox got a much better offer from UW.  That changes the way I view it.

Probably they were not getting along that great.  But if I personally am not happy with my job, and I get a much better offer, I probably take it.  If there is no other offer, maybe I suck it up and stay.  Just saying.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: