VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:22:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic, but wanted to share something...... (finally edited and extra stuff)  (Read 1571 times)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:35 EDT »

Something I have really enjoyed, off and on over the years, is doing a side job as a limo driver. I've driven for a Ryder Cup, Princess Diana's father and step-mother, General William Westmoreland, the cast and crew for Good Morning America and then also "ordindinay" folk. I just like being the "guy on the street" dealing with the upper crust and not being afraid to state my opinion when asked (in a kind way, of couse).

Well, today I hauled one of us ordinary folk that has gotten some recent media attention. Now as a strict self-imposed rule, I don't talk about other peoples's stuff, but Sharma Floyd is different. I first met Sharma 15 years ago when her house burned to the ground and I was her claims adjuster. She is as straight-up as the day is long. Sharma now owns a restaurant in Maryville, TN named the Shilo Brew and Chew and even though all the food is made fresh, she has struggled. As recently as 3 weeks ago she was considering bankruptcy. She's a pretty strong Christian, and had a  fuss with God a few weeks ago about what to do. The next day, Sharma got an answer. One of her regular customers came in and said, "You gotta take down your sign!" The customer could provide additional customers and said he had heard she had an No Weapons sign. The day before when Sharma had her "fuss", she had been online and read a story about a store in NC that had posted a "No Weapons Allowed" sign and two days later was robbed. The next day, Sharma made signs welcoming weapons. She has gone viral. Suddenly, her business has has increased (I'd estimate) 500%! This isn't political, she just believes strongly in the Constition and the only gun she has seen at her restaurant since the signs went up was her husband's.

You can find info on her Shilo Brew and Chew on the web. The name has to do with chuckwagon cooks hollering, "Brew and chew" (coffee and food is ready) while ringing the dinner bell. She bought a building that had been a bar for over 30yrs named The Jail House and says her name is a marking blunder because it sounds like a bar name as well. Here is a  recent review on tripadvisor:

“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 Been to Shiloh several times and the food is always great! I love their steaks! Generous portions of everthing. Very friendly and down to earth people. Very family friendly atmosphere. There are always groups of families eating and enjoying time together. Look for lunch specials and nightly specials that are always pleasing. (My comment: Sharma says she makes little profit on her ribeyes because she buys fine quality meat and it is hand-cut.)

Sharma Floyd is good people. Visit if you can. (I would'nt be up this late posting but for just a few folks. Before, I was helping her write a letter to her insurance company about another claim at her business).

Herb, this is your kind of place. It's the old Jailhouse bar; yeah she picked a bad location to buy with that place's rep.

GreggO

(edited even though it is late right now!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:29:51 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:14:11 EDT »

Thanks for posting; I'd like to try her place out.  Maybe we could do a VTTW cash mob for her one night.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:34:58 EDT »

Thanks for sharing. As one who played Little League about a half mile from her place, and went to high school (Heritage, not one of those citified schools) about five miles the other way, I always thought the place was a bar.

I'll drop by if time permits when I'm in town in a few days.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:57:43 EDT »

I'm always happy to dine with folks who take an affirmative stance on constitutional rights.

I had to stop patronizing Outback a couple of years ago when I noticed they placed signs banning guns. As a carry permit holder, I more often than not am not armed...but as a matter of principle, I refuse to spend money at places that thumb their noses at law-abiding citizens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: