VTTW Board Index
May 22, 2024, 10:20:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calhoun's  (Read 5429 times)
Creek Walker
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:30:02 EDT »

I'm going to admit something that is close to sacrilege: I have never been to Calhoun's on the River on gameday. Ever. Fridays before the game, yes. But not on gameday. This week weare taking friends to their first game and my plan is to immerse them in the total gameday experience. So how early do we need to go to Calhoun's for lunch before the place becomes unbearably crowded?
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:33:04 EDT »

Just a GreggO suggestion if you want to immerse your friends in UT football: take them to Emeril's tailgate. In a restaurant, whether gameday or not, it's still a restaurant. It's a hassle getting there and probably a long wait, BTW. At Emeril's, you are just about as close to the stadium, the food is flowing with beverages as well as soon as you walk up. There's Direct TV, but you will hardly watch it because there are too many to meet and enjoy. Plus, there are many VTTW'ers you will get to see for the first time. Your friends will really enjoy themselves and there are no obnoxious drunks; well, maybe BDV. (Just funnin').

BTW, I have not seen a menu posted E!

G                
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:48:18 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:18:42 EDT »

Well, you won't see this obnoxious drunk this week.  I can't do Sunday nights.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:46 EDT »

Thanks everyone for the helpful info on Calhoun's!  

Gregg, I park on the east end . . . walking that far might make my feet hurt.  
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:28:38 EDT »

I've been to Calhoun's, and don't see what the big deal is. Lots of places have better BBQ IMHO. This may be heresy. What I come back through town, I may stop at Litton's, Soccer Taco, or Big Ed's, but I don't care a thing about Calhoun's.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:44 EDT »

We've moved.  Now we're only a couple blocks from the stadium.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:40 EDT »

I've been to Calhoun's, and don't see what the big deal is.

It's all about location and atmosphere with being on the river and within sight of Neyland Stadium with Calhouns on the River.  The food is OK, but I don't get barbecue or ribs.  Those are two things I do really well myself, and I am always simply disappointed when I get either at a local place.  I like the catfish and chicken selections at Calhouns, and I don't ever go without getting the Spinach Maria.  That's the best thing on the menu, in my opinion.

I also enjoy the microbrews at Calhouns.  I particularly enjoy the Cherokee Red Ale and the Tuchaleechee Porter. 

And on barbecue, I feel the same way about Dead End Barbecue.  I hear people rave over it and I have tried it 3 or 4 times and have just been underwhelmed every time.  Don't see the attraction, but each to his own. 

A underrated eatery near campus is located in Western Plaza.  Blackhorse Pub and Brewery has a location there now.  The original location is in downtown Clarksville, and that was a must visit when my son was with the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell and we would go see him.  Good pizza, another really outstanding microbrewery.  Their Barnstormer Red is outstanding - worth going by and picking up a growler or 5 to take to a tailgate. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:23 EDT »

We've moved.  Now we're only a couple blocks from the stadium.

Oooh...so Emeril is spending the big bucks, huh?  I might drop by just to say howdy on Sunday afternoon.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:45:56 EDT »

I've been to Calhoun's, and don't see what the big deal is. Lots of places have better BBQ IMHO. This may be heresy. What I come back through town, I may stop at Litton's, Soccer Taco, or Big Ed's, but I don't care a thing about Calhoun's.

I don't think they have the best BBQ in the world, but then again I'm a pretty poor judge of BBQ because I'm not a huge fan of it. With that said, I'm a big fan of Calhoun's. I like the food and I like the atmosphere. I go regularly to Gatlinburg and Bearden Hill.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:22:45 EDT »

I don't think they have the best BBQ in the world, but then again I'm a pretty poor judge of BBQ because I'm not a huge fan of it. With that said, I'm a big fan of Calhoun's. I like the food and I like the atmosphere. I go regularly to Gatlinburg and Bearden Hill.

I like the Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg and at Turkey Creek better than the "regular" Calhouns.  They have a better menu in my opinion. Haven't been to either the Calhouns or Smoky Mountain Brewery in Maryville, but I imagine they are similar to the others.  All of the Copper Cellar Corporation's locations have the microbrews.  

My favorite of the CCC's properties is Chesapeakes, and of course the Cumberland Grill at the Copper Cellar Cumberland Avenue location.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:25:13 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:12 EDT »

Oooh...so Emeril is spending the big bucks, huh?  I might drop by just to say howdy on Sunday afternoon.

Just the mini bucks hell it costs 10Gs and up to get a really prime parking lot near the stadium on campus anymore.....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 06:03:23 EDT »

Calhoun's has average BBQ at best. But they do have some really good menu items and I go fairly regularly. The SMB beer is not that great either, but it drank purty good when you need a cold one.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 03:22:31 EDT »

Oh, I hate that for you. I feel for you as well, too well.

G
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:12 EDT »

The food is OK, but I don't get barbecue or ribs.  Those are two things I do really well myself, and I am always simply disappointed when I get either at a local place. 

I agree totally that if I go and spend my money, you damn sure better do it better than I can do it at home! Oh, I had forgotten about the spinach Maria. I might be up that way next week. Might have to have a pit stop for that.

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: