VTTW Board Index
May 22, 2024, 02:39:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is an article at VQ comparing three different recruiting eras  (Read 5416 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:20 EDT »

I won't C/P the whole article, but it's interesting stuff. The point is that attrition makes the difference. However, when you look at the geographic breakdown, I see another difference... REGIONAL recruiting.

The classes   
1994-1997   2004-2007   2008-2011
Signees   91   95   96
Who stayed   64   57   65
Who left   27   38   31
Attrition %   29.6%   40.0%   32.2%
Drafted   32   11   1
All-Americans   7   2   0
1st team All-SEC   28   9   0

Classes 1994-1997
Where they came from:
Tennessee - 27
Georgia - 6
N. Carolina - 12
S. Carolina - 6
Florida - 5
Alabama - 4
Mississippi - 3
Louisiana - 4
Texas - 4
Oklahoma - 6
Kentucky - 2
Ohio - 2
Illinois - 2
Arkansas - 1
Virginia - 1
Arizona - 3
Maryland - 2
N. Jersey - 1

Classes 2004-2007
Where they came from:
Tennessee - 29
Georgia - 7
N. Carolina - 5
S. Carolina - 5
Florida - 7
Alabama - 1
Mississippi - 3
Louisiana - 7
Texas - 4
Oklahoma - 2
Kentucky - 1
Ohio - 3
Illinois - 1
Arkansas - 3
Virginia - 4
California - 4
Maryland - 1
N. Jersey - 1
Michigan - 1
Iowa - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Pennsylvania - 1
District of Columbia - 1
Oregon - 1
Hawaii- 1

Classes 2008-2011
Where they came from:
Tennessee - 23
Georgia - 22
N. Carolina - 2
S. Carolina - 5
Florida - 15
Alabama - 7
Louisiana - 5
Texas - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Kentucky - 1
Ohio - 1
Illinois - 2
Michigan - 1
Kansas - 1
Virginia - 2
N. Jersey - 2
California - 5

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:58:52 EDT »

I've never taken the time to examine the numbers that closely, but I would've never imagined that we had far more GA/FL recruits from 2008-2011 than in either of those previous two eras.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:04:08 EDT »

I've never taken the time to examine the numbers that closely, but I would've never imagined that we had far more GA/FL recruits from 2008-2011 than in either of those previous two eras.

I've long thought that Georgia was the key and Dooley thinks so too... but he numbers suggest that the Carolinas are the difference.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:22:43 EDT »

I've long thought that Georgia was the key and Dooley thinks so too... but he numbers suggest that the Carolinas are the difference.

Sure does. The fact that we had more recruits from N.C. in the '94-'97 seasons than from Florida and Georgia COMBINED is simply astounding to me.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:30:11 EDT »

whom we got from the carolinas (Little, Haynesworth) vs whom we got from FL/GA  should be looked at. Also, key GA guys on that 98 team were Grant, Coleman, and Lewis.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35:21 EDT »

whom we got from the carolinas (Little, Haynesworth) vs whom we got from FL/GA  should be looked at. Also, key GA guys on that 98 team were Grant, Coleman, and Lewis.

Darwin Walker, Shawn Bryson, Jeff Coleman, Ron Green all key '98 players from the Carolinas.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:37 EDT »

The discrepancy in NFL drafted is worth noting. Makes sense. In the end, talent makes the biggest difference

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:09 EDT »

Darwin Walker, Shawn Bryson, Jeff Coleman, Ron Green all key '98 players from the Carolinas.

I think Shaun Ellis was from SC as well.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:59 EDT »

I'm sending those SC boys up there as fast as I can. I need more hostesses. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:01 EDT »

I'm sending those SC boys up there as fast as I can. I need more hostesses. 

Here you go.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:20 EDT »

I think Shaun Ellis was from SC as well.

Correct.

In addition to the three Georgians that 'nut mentioned, Mercedes Hamilton, Fred White, and Steve Johnson were from Georgia. Jarvis Reado and Raynoch Thompson were from Louisiana. Tee was from Alabama, Goodrich was from Illinois, Ratliff was from Mississippi, Peerless was from Ohio, and Cheese was from Florida. Every other guy who started was from Tennessee I think... T Stephens, Copeland, Cedric Wilson, Spencer Riley, Chad Clifton, John Finlayson, Al Wilson, Eric Westmoreland.

This is what we were chatting about the other day, Clocky... back then, I could tell you every starter with jersey number, position, and hometown (at least home state) without hesitation, and I knew a bunch of Vol fans that could do this. I could probably get some of that info for the current roster but not all of it without hesitation.

When I worked at Circuit City beginning in 2000 I worked with a guy who played at Whites Creek with Shelton Quarles and later at TSU. We would unload trucks together... each box had a label on it with a number. He was the CS Manager and he would check off the numbers as we called them out. I would wow him when I called out a number under 100 by adding a Tennessee player who wore the jersey number with name, position, and hometown, except in the case of the numbers retired for the KIAs. I could still do it but it would probably stop in about '06. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:03 EDT »

Correct.

In addition to the three Georgians that 'nut mentioned, Mercedes Hamilton, Fred White, and Steve Johnson were from Georgia. Jarvis Reado and Raynoch Thompson were from Louisiana. Tee was from Alabama, Goodrich was from Illinois, Ratliff was from Mississippi, Peerless was from Ohio, and Cheese was from Florida. Every other guy who started was from Tennessee I think... T Stephens, Copeland, Cedric Wilson, Spencer Riley, Chad Clifton, John Finlayson, Al Wilson, Eric Westmoreland.

This is what we were chatting about the other day, Clocky... back then, I could tell you every starter with jersey number, position, and hometown (at least home state) without hesitation, and I knew a bunch of Vol fans that could do this. I could probably get some of that info for the current roster but not all of it without hesitation.

When I worked at Circuit City beginning in 2000 I worked with a guy who played at Whites Creek with Shelton Quarles and later at TSU. We would unload trucks together... each box had a label on it with a number. He was the CS Manager and he would check off the numbers as we called them out. I would wow him when I called out a number under 100 by adding a Tennessee player who wore the jersey number with name, position, and hometown, except in the case of the numbers retired for the KIAs. I could still do it but it would probably stop in about '06. 

Oh, and Jeff Hall... #4, from Winchester. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:37 EDT »

Interesting...I would say that although the numbers from Georgia were kind of low in 94-97, the quality was very high, though this has been pointed out.

Just a nit, but on closer look it appears that NORTH Carolina was more of a factor than "the Carolinas".  But again the quality of the players in 94-97 from SC was very high.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 03:13:20 EDT »

Gotta have the Carolinas. Dan Brooks played a huge roll in that if memory serves. However, Georgia will suffice. The point is the recruiting base is a 300 mile radius of campus and you can target guys in other locations for special needs.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: