VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 03:02:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch Jones vs. expectations  (Read 3965 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:08 EDT »

Rocky Top Talk has an interesting statistical breakdown of Butch Jones' wins and losses vs. the odds: http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2015/9/15/9326239/butch-jones-and-expectations-at-kickoff-tennessee-vols

As we all know, he's 0-3 in the 50/50 games (Vanderbilt '13, Florida '14, Oklahoma '15). Interestingly, he's 2-1 in the games in which Tennessee is a moderate 'dog...but both the wins were against South Carolina. While the USCe '13 win was a good one, as that was a good team, it's a bit unsettling that the only two "signature" wins on the resume came against a coach who is, by most appearances, washed up and on the verge of retirement. (I wouldn't consider USCe '14 a signature win; that was just a game where Tennessee laid an egg and then got lucky.)

I wish we could see inside Butch Jones' head. I think it would be fascinating. What is he thinking when the game is on the line? Is his butthole clinched tighter than Phillip Fulmer's? Are his knees quaking? Florida '14 and Oklahoma '15 are carbon copies of one another (you could throw in Vandy '13, too, but I refuse to consider that a "big game"). It would be easy to say that Jones just doesn't know how to win in the fourth quarter, that he becomes too uptight. Except how do you explain USCe '13 (or '14, for that matter?) You can even throw Georgia '13 in there, too. We didn't win that game, but Jones pushed all the right buttons to win...and if Pig Howard is six inches closer to the goal line when he loses his grip on the ball, Tennessee wins and it's a major upset.

Can we safely say that Jones doesn't know how to play with the lead in the fourth quarter? That's probably more accurate. And if it were truly the case, I would feel somewhat more confident about him. He's still a young coach, relatively speaking, and that's something that can easily be overcome. But it is more concerning when you stop to consider that Jones didn't just go into his shell in the fourth quarter Saturday night...he was coaching in a shell from the outset.

One thing I do think is important, though, is the next to last paragraph: the sample size is still small. It's a little damning that Jones has lost three games in three years that he had a chance to win, but I'm not sure that's a large enough sample size to make definitive conclusions at this point. Dooley completely and totally lost me (and much of the rest of the fan base) when he lost to Florida in '12. That game came at a similar point in his tenure as Jones' Oklahoma loss. But Dooley had also suffered an inexplicable loss to Kentucky in '11. Jones has no terrible losses. Dooley also was not recruiting well; the roster had gotten worse, not better, during his tenure. Obviously Jones is seriously upgrading the talent on the roster. All of that to say that anyone who thinks Butch Jones is on the hot seat right now is kidding themselves.

The good thing is that we shouldn't have much longer to wait to start reaching some very firm conclusions about Jones' true ability. He's only had three 50/50 games in his first three seasons to this point, but he'll likely have three more within the next five weeks. If he goes 1-2 in those, the mood will probably stay about as it is now. If he goes 2-1, many will forgive him for the Oklahoma loss. If he goes 0-3, he's a dead man walking. He won't be fired in 2015, but it'll be only a matter of time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:21:51 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:05:58 EDT »

Can we safely say that Jones doesn't know how to play with the lead in the fourth quarter? That's probably more accurate. And if it were truly the case, I would feel somewhat more confident about him. He's still a young coach, relatively speaking, and that's something that can easily be overcome. But it is more concerning when you stop to consider that Jones didn't just go into his shell in the fourth quarter Saturday night...he was coaching in a shell from the outset.

This is what I think....in big games, up big, he doesn't know yet how to "handle success", but more importantly perhaps, neither do the players, who have almost no recent tradition of winning big. I think in big games the mental edge is critical.  For instance, the Miami teams of the late 80s and early 90s that routinely went on the road and ass-whipped good teams really believed in themselves.  You have to have that "true believer" mentality IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:13:18 EDT »

This is what I think....in big games, up big, he doesn't know yet how to "handle success", but more importantly perhaps, neither do the players, who have almost no recent tradition of winning big. I think in big games the mental edge is critical.  For instance, the Miami teams of the late 80s and early 90s that routinely went on the road and ass-whipped good teams really believed in themselves.  You have to have that "true believer" mentality IMO.

Omg. Isn't this like twice we've agreed this week? 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:27:46 EDT »

Gabriel is warming up...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 10:13:29 EDT »

Gabriel is warming up...
i'm a skeered

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:58 EDT »

Bottom line is, you gotta man down, you put your boot on his throat, not help him up.  Nothing loses more football games than going into a shell.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. 

That said, our OL was absolutely totally manhandled in both protection and run game in the second half.  I am with everyone else in expecting some adjustments to counter, but I am not with everyone else in expecting any adjustments would have made one iota of difference.  We were not physically or mentally tough enough to execute correction.

Defensively, we were two penalties away from putting the boot on their throat.  The fact that the same player committed both, and that both were panic penalties as a result of inability to execute is what I hope was a coaching blunder.  If not, gonna be a long year of people exploiting a weakness that we cannot improve with personnel.  And that particular weakness is almost impossible to cover with scheme.  We were about 6 missed tackles on the QB away from making this game a blowout.  That is effort and technique, and it can and should be corrected.

We have to get better physically, but more importantly, everyone, beginning with the coaches, has to get better mentally.  You can fix effort, you can fix physical errors, you can fix weakness to some degree.  You can't fix stupid.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:30:23 EDT »

Gabriel is warming up...

Roman? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 06:14:39 EDT »

Bottom line is, you gotta man down, you put your boot on his throat, not help him up.  Nothing loses more football games than going into a shell.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. 

That said, our OL was absolutely totally manhandled in both protection and run game in the second half.  I am with everyone else in expecting some adjustments to counter, but I am not with everyone else in expecting any adjustments would have made one iota of difference.  We were not physically or mentally tough enough to execute correction.

Defensively, we were two penalties away from putting the boot on their throat.  The fact that the same player committed both, and that both were panic penalties as a result of inability to execute is what I hope was a coaching blunder.  If not, gonna be a long year of people exploiting a weakness that we cannot improve with personnel.  And that particular weakness is almost impossible to cover with scheme.  We were about 6 missed tackles on the QB away from making this game a blowout.  That is effort and technique, and it can and should be corrected.

We have to get better physically, but more importantly, everyone, beginning with the coaches, has to get better mentally.  You can fix effort, you can fix physical errors, you can fix weakness to some degree.  You can't fix stupid.

^Homerun post!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 07:22:48 EDT »

I actually texted "we have to put our foot on their throat" to a friend in the 2nd quarter.  Unfortunately, he wasn't coaching.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: