VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 11:38:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Nico will get playing time against UTSA?  (Read 906 times)
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2023, 06:45:49 EDT »

I'm stuck with this one.  Joe wasn't horrible but he wasn't great either.

Maybe just see what chemistry is like against an easy win?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 07:17:56 EDT »

He should if we get a big lead.  Here is hoping we get a big lead! 

I will observe we seem to play a lot better at home under Heupel...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 07:54:13 EDT »

Based on what I've seen the past 2 weeks the starting 2 deep needs all the game reps they can get...Not sure we can afford to get the young ones reps unless it's a run away which would be a miracle..

This week in practice I'd have major tryouts at every position and the best ones would start....Hadden would have been shown the door Sunday and told to have a nice life...Not gonna win with the effort we get from him in nut cutting time...But I will be shocked if he doesn't play this weekend.

And pretty sure I'd go with a 2 QB system against UTSA and the one that runs my offense the best will get the nod going forward.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 08:50:56 EDT »

Based on what I've seen the past 2 weeks the starting 2 deep needs all the game reps they can get...Not sure we can afford to get the young ones reps unless it's a run away which would be a miracle..

This week in practice I'd have major tryouts at every position and the best ones would start....Hadden would have been shown the door Sunday and told to have a nice life...Not gonna win with the effort we get from him in nut cutting time...But I will be shocked if he doesn't play this weekend.

And pretty sure I'd go with a 2 QB system against UTSA and the one that runs my offense the best will get the nod going forward.

I won't be surprised at all if we get a big lead...I think UTSA is vastly overated, particularly in Neyland

Army went away from the triple option this year for the first time in a long time, and threw the  ball all over UTSA.  I mean...come one.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 07:52:18 EDT »

I won't be surprised at all if we get a big lead...I think UTSA is vastly overated, particularly in Neyland

Army went away from the triple option this year for the first time in a long time, and threw the  ball all over UTSA.  I mean...come one.   

The Roadrunners have a lot of folks back from last year, so I would be a little wary of their bad start this year.  I think their QB has been hurt and i don't know his current status.  The Vols certainly have no bidness taking strong mid majors lightly, that is fer sure.  I fully expect another Austin Peay like disappointment.  Especially with the Gator hangover. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:26 EDT »

UTSA starting QB who was out last week and is doubtful this week with pretty bad turf toe is the real deal....He could and most likely pick our non pass coverage into pieces....We would have to get into a scoring match with them which I wouldn't want to do that with this offense of ours...

It will be our lucky stars if he doesn't go....We should be ok with their freshman backup. Harris is their starting QB and he's in his 6th year IIRC.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 09:50:59 EDT »

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2023/9/21/23882790/utsa-quarterback-frank-harris-injury-update-tennessee-volunteers-football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 09:55:33 EDT »

What I saw in the Army game was the QB was good when he could set his feet but really bad when pressured.
If we can get pressure he will be inaccurate, at best

Hopefully we learned how to play zone this week as we flat SUCKED at it last week. 
Zone would be good against the roadrunners

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:56:16 EDT »

I am pro-playing for continuity. However, there are qualifiers.

If a guy isn't cutting it and has 8 games left in his college career he's on the bench. Seniors playing fundamentally sound ball are absolutely in, but I'm not worried about coaching up an unproductive one.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 05:01:39 EDT »

Maybe there will be a hangover, or maybe the team will be pissed and take it out on UTSA.

I have rarely seen a Heupel team show up unready to play.  Austin Peay is a definite exception.  Looking forward to seeing how we start on Saturday.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 09:22:40 EDT »

It seems unlikely we'll play poorly three games in a row. If so, deep issues exist.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 09:51:41 EDT »

It seems unlikely we'll play poorly three games in a row. If so, deep issues exist.

This....

I will say though, that we have started slow in every single game this year. We recovered most quickly against Virginia.  I am hoping we, for once this season, get a very quick start against UTSA. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 01:34:06 EDT »

If Nico doesn't get quite a bit of playing time this season then we will have a green first year QB next season...Not good.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 02:06:55 EDT »

If Nico doesn't get quite a bit of playing time this season then we will have a green first year QB next season...Not good.

IF he is still in Knoxville
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 02:54:06 EDT »

Harris officially ruled out..

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/platform/amp/2023/9/22/23886472/frank-harris-injury-update-out-against-tennessee-vols-football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 05:24:05 EDT »

The Roadrunners have a lot of folks back from last year, so I would be a little wary of their bad start this year.  I think their QB has been hurt and i don't know his current status.  The Vols certainly have no bidness taking strong mid majors lightly, that is fer sure.  I fully expect another Austin Peay like disappointment.  Especially with the Gator hangover. 

That didn't hold up well....hope we can start as fast against Junior as we did today, and also not have a shizzlety 3rd quarter.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2023, 11:36:09 EDT »

That didn't hold up well....hope we can start as fast against Junior as we did today, and also not have a shizzlety 3rd quarter.

I was happy to see us look so sharp in the first half.  I think UTSA has some pretty good personnel, but are not deep at all.

We looked crappy in the second half, however.

I was very impressed with that McCown kid.  He was amazing, all things considered.  He could develop into a great QB.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2023, 12:36:52 EDT »

I concur with Coupe's assessment of McCown. That kid is a baller.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 01:00:34 EDT »

I agree about McCown also, but will point out that down the stretch he made two turnovers.  He did hit 10 in a row...I hope he is that good, and not what I fear.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: