VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:10:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posted without comment... for now, at least  (Read 554 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2023, 03:43:50 EST »

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html

I am very interested in hearing all your thoughts on this. I have my own, but I will refrain for now.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 04:01:53 EST »

If I?m reading it right, it?s basically a salary cap of 6M per school, to be spilt equally between men?s and women?s sports. That?s just going to encourage a return to pre-NIL under the table deals, i.e., cheating.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 04:19:31 EST »

I don?t think there is a cap. Nico could still get his $2M/year, but Title IX would demand that an additional $2M/year be allocated to female athletes. I think that the $30K is just a minimum payment for at least half of every school?s athletes.

Other possibilities are no limit on the number of scholarships a school could award as well as no limits on the number of coaches employed. One article I read indicated that these are just two of the many possible changes.

NIL collectives would likely be incorporated as part of the university athletic department.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 04:21:22 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 07:17:09 EST »

It is still under the NCAA "umbrella". That's the biggest negative. The rich will still get richer. They ain't gonna be told how much they can put into their athletics. 6 mil is chump change for most of the top power 5 programs. There is no cap on the amount of funds that a program can provide an athlete. So does this means no more NIL payments the size of Nico's unless you want give one guy most of the 6 mil cap you have to follow.. Then title 9 also rears it's ugly head. To me the current state of the transfer portal hurts most smaller schools. A guy has a great year at Marshall and then he's off to Bama for a NIL payout and leaves Marshall with nothing. Mid majors will be in more trouble.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 01:22:47 EST »

There is no $6M cap. A university could spend $500M on NIL payments if they so choose, but $250M would have to go to female athletes.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 07:44:10 EST »

I don?t think there is a cap. Nico could still get his $2M/year, but Title IX would demand that an additional $2M/year be allocated to female athletes. I think that the $30K is just a minimum payment for at least half of every school?s athletes.

Other possibilities are no limit on the number of scholarships a school could award as well as no limits on the number of coaches employed. One article I read indicated that these are just two of the many possible changes.

NIL collectives would likely be incorporated as part of the university athletic department.

There is no cap. Anybody can give A player any amount of money for any reason, and nobody can do anything about. That is per the constitution.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 08:00:04 EST »

There is no cap. Anybody can give A player any amount of money for any reason, and nobody can do anything about. That is per the constitution.
Interesting. I believe that to be included in this subdivision, a university will have to agree that they will insure that all NIL payments will be handled through the school. Imo, one of the reasons that the NCAA is suggesting this option is as a way to tell Title IX ?well, we tried?.

Personally, I can?t see why any school would think this is a good idea.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 01:09:32 EST »

If NIL and the portal continue unchecked, you?re going to see a lot of ?have nots? dropping down a division or even dropping football altogether. See what?s happening at Vanderbilt right now. They just lost their entire QB and WR rooms. Jim Mora at UConn just flat stated that he?s going to stop recruiting HS kids, because any who show promise will transfer out in a year. Why would they want to act as a farm team for well-monied P5 schools?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 01:12:08 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 03:57:10 EST »

If NIL and the portal continue unchecked, you?re going to see a lot of ?have nots? dropping down a division or even dropping football altogether. See what?s happening at Vanderbilt right now. They just lost their entire QB and WR rooms. Jim Mora at UConn just flat stated that he?s going to stop recruiting HS kids, because any who show promise will transfer out in a year. Why would they want to act as a farm team for well-monied P5 schools?

Yep.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 07:23:08 EST »

As I post elsewhere, I am completely opposed to this.

The NCAA can go fizzle itself   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: