VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:29:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to NIL money if the player enters the portal after a season?  (Read 522 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:10:43 EST »

For example, what happens if Nico were to transfer after a year? Does he keep his NIL money? The school hasn't lost anything dollar wise.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:19:20 EST »

For example, what happens if Nico were to transfer after a year? Does he keep his NIL money? The school hasn't lost anything dollar wise.
If the player does not comply with his contract he has broken the contract and therefore is not paid further $$

There are activities and requirements written into NIL contracts (at least our collectives contracts) that cover, if indirectly, those contengencies
That specific question was asked directly to Spyre executives during a townhall meeting last year and that was in general their response

Full disclosure, I am a member of the Volunteer Club and contribute monthly
As an aside, at the taigate Saturday morning I suggested to a Spyre exec that they schedule another one as there are so many new members now.  He agreed.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:23:51 EST »

If the player does not comply with his contract he has broken the contract and therefore is not paid further $$

There are activities and requirements written into NIL contracts (at least our collectives contracts) that cover, if indirectly, those contengencies
That specific question was asked directly to Spyre executives during a townhall meeting last year and that was in general their response

Full disclosure, I am a member of the Volunteer Club and contribute monthly
As an aside, at the taigate Saturday morning I suggested to a Spyre exec that they schedule another one as there are so many new members now.  He agreed.
An example:
Say you are a highly coveted DE that is currently standing on the sidelines of an Ole Piss bowl game.
That situation would make it rather difficult to fulfill your contractual obligations in Knoxville, TN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 10:28:52 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 10:57:11 EST »

So how do you all feel? Id NIL good or bad for college football? Or is the portal worse? You recruit a high school kid just to have him leave after a year or two. Seems like it is going to be more important to recruit portal transfers.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 11:13:52 EST »

You can?t build a sustainable program from the portal alone, imo.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 11:50:03 EST »

My view is that NIL is a good thing
As with all good things it can be abused (see Thug U (Miami), Felony State U and Ole Piss as examples) who are over paying (and in at least UF's (and possibly Miami's) case), can't honor the contracts they signed

The portal was a poorly thought out way to get their (the NCAA) asses out of a noose.
Then they timing of portal entries, especially for football make ZERO sense
Then the morons at the NCAA (with zero cojones) compounded the problem by saying that essentially now you can transfer every freaking year, with ZERO consequences
The portal can fill holes (the VOLS did so last year and to some extent this year reasonably effectivly) but as JCVF stated, it is not sustainable (see Ole Piss and Prime Failure)

The moronic NCAA is making decisions that at some point will result in legislation from the total (and complete) morons in Congress that will DESTROY college sports as we know it.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the rampant TAMPERING that is ongoing.  How do you combat that?
Tampering is REAL and pervasive.  It has cost us at lest 2 players this portal opening (IMO).

BTW, IMO the BIGGEST issue in college sports (football specificaly) is the INCOMPETENT officiating!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 01:16:02 EST »

It's gonna make it almost impossible to "develope" players because of the portal. It should go back to setting out a year if you transfer. It would make a kid think twice about it.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 02:45:07 EST »

My view is that NIL is a good thing
As with all good things it can be abused (see Thug U (Miami), Felony State U and Ole Piss as examples) who are over paying (and in at least UF's (and possibly Miami's) case), can't honor the contracts they signed

The portal was a poorly thought out way to get their (the NCAA) asses out of a noose.
Then they timing of portal entries, especially for football make ZERO sense
Then the morons at the NCAA (with zero cojones) compounded the problem by saying that essentially now you can transfer every freaking year, with ZERO consequences
The portal can fill holes (the VOLS did so last year and to some extent this year reasonably effectivly) but as JCVF stated, it is not sustainable (see Ole Piss and Prime Failure)

The moronic NCAA is making decisions that at some point will result in legislation from the total (and complete) morons in Congress that will DESTROY college sports as we know it.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the rampant TAMPERING that is ongoing.  How do you combat that?
Tampering is REAL and pervasive.  It has cost us at lest 2 players this portal opening (IMO).

BTW, IMO the BIGGEST issue in college sports (football specificaly) is the INCOMPETENT officiating!

I agree with a lot of what is posted here, but I do not think that the NCAA has any alternative regarding players being allowed multiple transfers. There is, unless I misunderstand, a temporary injunction barring the NCAA from blocking those transfers.

As soon as NIL became a thing (again, due to the courts and not the NCAA), the process of limiting transfers was always going to be contested in court. It is really questionable whether you can tell an athlete that he can transfer only once when he might have better NIL opportunities elsewhere. It is akin to telling someone that they can transfer jobs only once without having to sit out a year. It is an anti-trust issue, as I understand it.

We can definitely accuse the NCAA of sitting on their hands for the past 20 years and not anticipating this coming, but in the current situation their hands are likely tied behind their backs.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 04:07:32 EST »

I agree with a lot of what is posted here, but I do not think that the NCAA has any alternative regarding players being allowed multiple transfers. There is, unless I misunderstand, a temporary injunction barring the NCAA from blocking those transfers.

As soon as NIL became a thing (again, due to the courts and not the NCAA), the process of limiting transfers was always going to be contested in court. It is really questionable whether you can tell an athlete that he can transfer only once when he might have better NIL opportunities elsewhere. It is akin to telling someone that they can transfer jobs only once without having to sit out a year. It is an anti-trust issue, as I understand it.

We can definitely accuse the NCAA of sitting on their hands for the past 20 years and not anticipating this coming, but in the current situation their hands are likely tied behind their backs.

The ruling by the supreme court in the Alston set the players free. The NCAA can't do   much without getting sued.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: