VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 03:32:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm sitting watching the New Mexico Bowl  (Read 6424 times)
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:22:52 EST »

Bernard Pierce of Temple is a horse,reminds Me of Eddie George. Pierce has 26 career tds for Temple. I'm rooting for the Temple Owls over Wyoming in this game. You have to be a real football nut to watch these obscure Bowl games.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:40:44 EST »

Bernard Pierce of Temple is a horse,reminds Me of Eddie George. Pierce has 26 career tds for Temple. I'm rooting for the Temple Owls over Wyoming in this game. You have to be a real football nut to watch these obscure Bowl games.

I couldn't get interested in that one.  I am watching Georgia Southern and N Dakota State playoff game.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:23 EST »

yep...........................I of course picked Wyoming.....................

Go Big Orange.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:04:03 EST »

What do you mean, "obscure"?  Why, this is part of the tradition and pangentry of the game that we have to protect at all costs!  Nothing says College Football like a matchup of Temple and Wyoming in that hallowed football Mecca of Albuquerque.  It harkens back to all the classic Gildan New Mexico Bowls of yore.  Heaven forbid we ever have a playoff- otherwise, fantastic bowl games like this might be replaced by games that, you know, actually mean something.  I shudder at the thought of college football coming to ruin in that manner.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:05:37 EST »

yep...........................I of course picked Wyoming.....................

It's a 37-15 slaughter now,Temple has had an easy game. I guess Temple will be invited to the reformed Big East soon.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:09:17 EST »

What do you mean, "obscure"?  Why, this is part of the tradition and pangentry of the game that we have to protect at all costs!  Nothing says College Football like a matchup of Temple and Wyoming in that hallowed football Mecca of Albuquerque.  It harkens back to all the classic Gildan New Mexico Bowls of yore.  Heaven forbid we ever have a playoff- otherwise, fantastic bowl games like this might be replaced by games that, you know, actually mean something.  I shudder at the thought of college football coming to ruin in that manner.

Good one,BDV! I would rather stay home than go to Albuquerque in December in the cold.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:24:54 EST »

Time for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl! I think Ohio wins their first Bowl by beating the Aggies of Utah State

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 02:00:15 EST »

What do you mean, "obscure"?  Why, this is part of the tradition and pangentry of the game that we have to protect at all costs!  Nothing says College Football like a matchup of Temple and Wyoming in that hallowed football Mecca of Albuquerque.  It harkens back to all the classic Gildan New Mexico Bowls of yore.  Heaven forbid we ever have a playoff- otherwise, fantastic bowl games like this might be replaced by games that, you know, actually mean something.  I shudder at the thought of college football coming to ruin in that manner.

I agree...the fact that Temple and Wyoming are playing a bowl game in Albuquerque in mid December is proof that we need a playoff in D1 CFB. Or something.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 04:55:07 EST »

I agree...the fact that Temple and Wyoming are playing a bowl game in Albuquerque in mid December is proof that we need a playoff in D1 CFB. Or something.

Hey, this is what the advocates of the status quo say we have to "protect".  If we have a playoff, college football as we know it will apparently cease to exist.  We'd lose all those great traditions...like the New Mexico Bowl.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:41:22 EST »

Hey, this is what the advocates of the status quo say we have to "protect".  If we have a playoff, college football as we know it will apparently cease to exist.  We'd lose all those great traditions...like the New Mexico Bowl.

The FBS bowl lineup needs to go the way of the leather helmet.  This year I'll watch exactly ONE bowl game - all others are meaningless.  After the BCSNCG, the second most important bowl game is the FCSNCG, then the FCS semifinals/quarterfinals/2nd round/1st round playoff games that, you know, actually mean something.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:31 EST »

Now you're being disingenuous. I'm one of those people who advocate for the status quo, as you say, and I will be one of the first to tell you that there are far too many bowls. It cheapens the entire bowl season when there are so many of them. We need to get back to not having the first bowl game until Christmas and having the last bowl game, sans the national championship game, on New Year's Day. So, yes, I think bowls are a great tradition and I think a playoff system would destroy that, but a New Mexico Bowl featuring two mediocre teams is meaningless to me.

I will say that I am not opposed to the +1 format that the SEC proposed a few years ago, but I also don't think it would solve anything. It wouldn't really do much more to determine a "true" national champion than the current format we have, and there would still be teams on the outside looking in and crying foul every year.

The idea of four superconferences and a playoff format that begins with a championship game in each conference and ends with a "final four" in a 3-game playoff sounds awfully intriguing, but I think by the time we get to that point in CFB, much of what makes CFB great is going to be destroyed anyway. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:07 EST »

Now you're being disingenuous. I'm one of those people who advocate for the status quo, as you say, and I will be one of the first to tell you that there are far too many bowls. It cheapens the entire bowl season when there are so many of them. We need to get back to not having the first bowl game until Christmas and having the last bowl game, sans the national championship game, on New Year's Day. So, yes, I think bowls are a great tradition and I think a playoff system would destroy that, but a New Mexico Bowl featuring two mediocre teams is meaningless to me.

I will say that I am not opposed to the +1 format that the SEC proposed a few years ago, but I also don't think it would solve anything. It wouldn't really do much more to determine a "true" national champion than the current format we have, and there would still be teams on the outside looking in and crying foul every year.

The idea of four superconferences and a playoff format that begins with a championship game in each conference and ends with a "final four" in a 3-game playoff sounds awfully intriguing, but I think by the time we get to that point in CFB, much of what makes CFB great is going to be destroyed anyway. 

How can you destroy something that never existed...the old bowls were all for each conference to have some kind of extra game with the perks for each conference...then it was turned into the joke it is today due to ESPN since they wanted bowls to "prosper" for thier content....

Integrate the bowls into a playoff and that would make them all the more interesting....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:21 EST »

How can you destroy something that never existed.

Silly me. I forgot that all the great bowl games of years past were just figments of my imagination.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:25:51 EST »

We'll always have great bowl games.  Relevance diminishes nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: