VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 01:14:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This will suck.............  (Read 2011 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2019, 04:37:15 EDT »

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2019/09/25/how-dawgs-checker-neyland-red-and-black-for-uga-football-vs-tennessee/
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:41:14 EDT »

And of course ESPN puts it in the Primetime slot.  Yeah... this one's gonna leave a mark.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:18:39 EDT »

As long as there are butts in the seats and beers sold the powers that be at UT won't give a rats ass. Doesn't matter where the money comes from.   And therein lies a huge part of the problem. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:59:48 EDT »

As long as there are butts in the seats and beers sold the powers that be at UT won't give a rats ass. Doesn't matter where the money comes from.   And therein lies a huge part of the problem. 

But you know what? The butts aren't in the seats! We're headed for a lower average attendance than 2012, and I still contend that one in the factors to Dooley's exit after just 3 seasons was fan apathy. I've never seen the UTAD offer ticket discounts like they're offering this year, but after the waxing that this team is probably going to take from Georgia and Alabama, it is probably going to get really bad. If we can't beat Mississippi State, I'm not sure that even homecoming can save attendance for UAB...I wish I had a spreadsheet of UT's gameday financials. I'd be willing to bet that concessions + tickets are already costing the university tens of thousands of dollars on an average gameday, and it's only going to get worse. I'm not saying that's going to lead to Pruitt's hasty exit, but it sure doesn't help.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 01:38:28 EDT »

I don't see any way UGA can pull this off. They'll have an embarrassing amount of fans there, no doubt, but they aren't going to take over Neyland the way they took over Vandy.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:58:04 EDT »

But you know what? The butts aren't in the seats! We're headed for a lower average attendance than 2012, and I still contend that one in the factors to Dooley's exit after just 3 seasons was fan apathy. I've never seen the UTAD offer ticket discounts like they're offering this year, but after the waxing that this team is probably going to take from Georgia and Alabama, it is probably going to get really bad. If we can't beat Mississippi State, I'm not sure that even homecoming can save attendance for UAB...I wish I had a spreadsheet of UT's gameday financials. I'd be willing to bet that concessions + tickets are already costing the university tens of thousands of dollars on an average gameday, and it's only going to get worse. I'm not saying that's going to lead to Pruitt's hasty exit, but it sure doesn't help.

Agree with you 100%.  Point was that UGA fans will be in the seats spending money.  So what if they beat us by 40 as long as revenue is generated. 

After the UGA game it will be a different story.

UT sold just 63K season tickets this year, down from 72K in 2018.  That's a 9% drop.  Another 9% going in to 2020 will really get their attention. 

The time to make a change is when realization of a mistake is present. I don't think we are far from that point. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 04:31:40 EDT »

And of course ESPN puts it in the Primetime slot.  Yeah... this one's gonna leave a mark.   
They should have it in primetime. Maybe the powers that be at UT will get their shizzle together. Like I said previously, it is cheaper to hire an elite coach than it is to hire four turds and then pay their buyouts.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 04:50:41 EDT »

Maybe the powers that be at UT will get their shizzle together.

What would that entail to you, exactly? 
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:45:59 EDT »

More than likely UGA will pound us. The Vols so far have not put together a solid and complete game and have not taken advantage of any opportunities given to them,especially the 3 turnovers against Fla and stupid drive killing penalties.
I think a lot of it has been on JG,he has regressed. I think the o-line play and defense will get better and we do have play makers if they can get the ball delivered to them and could possibly make this a lot closer game than the experts think.
If they can keep from shooting themselves in the foot,maybe the freshman will light a fire and UGA will come in expecting to just show up and get a win and play sloppy.
More than likely not but that's why they play the game on the field and not on paper.
I will be watching to see how this team responds and pulling for them either way. Shock the world and stomp their pups!!
  Go Vols!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:39:06 EDT by crockettman » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 11:18:14 EDT »

Agree with you 100%.  Point was that UGA fans will be in the seats spending money.  So what if they beat us by 40 as long as revenue is generated. 

After the UGA game it will be a different story.

UT sold just 63K season tickets this year, down from 72K in 2018.  That's a 9% drop.  Another 9% going in to 2020 will really get their attention. 

The time to make a change is when realization of a mistake is present. I don't think we are far from that point. 

13% drop

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:25:08 EDT »

It's not that hard to do the math.  Tickets are what, $80?  if we count full capacity, that's $8M a game.  As for concessions, I think a lot of fans don't get any.  When they do, what is it per head?  I will be generous and say $10 (per person).  And let's say 70K per game buy at that rate, then that's $700,000 per game for concessions.  You could even double that amount and it's be about $1.5M, which is a number I vaguely recall reading years ago.  So while the concessions are nice bonus, ticket sales are the main revenue driver, particularly if you factor in donations. 

If the upper estimate of concessions is correct, that'd be about $10 a year, or 8-10% of the total AD budget, which is a significant chunk. But I suspect it's the lower end, probably only around 3-4% of the AD budget. Probably not worth much concern.  OTOH, ticket sails would be roughly 10x as much, and one of the main revenue sources for the AD. They would be concerned about that for sure, particularly the loss of donations for season tickets.

Tennessee's AD budget is a matter of public record, BTW.  I might even bother to find it if I get time.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: