VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 10:19:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 25 tastiest apps for Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4)  (Read 7245 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:32 EDT »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399800,00.asp

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:53:57 EDT »

I've been checking for it all day on my Razr... No ICS yet. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:25 EDT »

I have always been able to force updates on the Nexus once they are released but it doesn't look like you can do that for the Motorola phones. But I did find this on the Android Central forums:

...the actually OTA push probably will not happen until maybe Wednesday or Thursday... and by start I mean it might then take a week to go out to everybody... so some people might not see it until after 6/30.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:29 EDT »

Not to jump the gun, but did you all hear about Jelly Bean today?  Nexus users are supposed to start getting it in mid-July.  Let's hope that Verizon doesn't hold it up too much.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:14 EDT »

I have always been able to force updates on the Nexus once they are released but it doesn't look like you can do that for the Motorola phones. But I did find this on the Android Central forums:

...the actually OTA push probably will not happen until maybe Wednesday or Thursday... and by start I mean it might then take a week to go out to everybody... so some people might not see it until after 6/30.

You know, it is hilarious to see the way posters on Droid forums are popping a vein over waiting on ICS.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:44 EDT »

Not to jump the gun, but did you all hear about Jelly Bean today?  Nexus users are supposed to start getting it in mid-July.  Let's hope that Verizon doesn't hold it up too much.

I didn't have a chance to follow any of the unveiling but I will read about it later.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:23 EDT »

I just installed the Swype beta. I had no idea it was available because it's not in the Play store. I have missed it so much since I moved to the Nexus... other slide keyboard apps aren't as good. I am seriously stoked about having it back.

I'm also really excited about Juice Defender and will probably buy the ultimate app for that one.

Android and their app developers may keep me yet.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:11:02 EDT »

Supposedly during their "soak test" they identified some "minor" battery issues with the Droid Razr and Droid Razr Maxx... still says the goal is by this weekend.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:58 EDT »

The Juice Defender app is next level.

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:20 EDT »

The Juice Defender app is next level.

I tried it for a couple of days and I don't think I use my phone in a manner that you get much benefit from an app like this.  I didn't really see that much improvement in battery life, but again, I think it is because of my usage pattern not really a problem with the app. 

Have you seen a lot of improvement?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 03:40:51 EDT »

I tried it for a couple of days and I don't think I use my phone in a manner that you get much benefit from an app like this.  I didn't really see that much improvement in battery life, but again, I think it is because of my usage pattern not really a problem with the app. 

Yes, because I have Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, and corporate email (Exchange) on my phone that are constantly phoning home for data. You can set Exchange and Gmail to not be "push" and to check every 5 minutes or so but there are times of the day when I need push or at least quicker sync than 5 minutes. The Juice Defender ultimate app has a "peak" setting where you can set it by times of day. It also can "learn" your WiFi locations by using coarse location services and enable Wifi to connect to your known access points. I haven't gotten to that point yet because it has to "learn" where they are as I connect to them, but that will be a really nice feature because it keeps WiFi off until it knows that you are close to home or work or Starbucks or wherever.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:31:30 EDT »

(cough) with razr max, you don't have to worry about the battery life (cough cough)   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 04:29:40 EDT »

(cough) with razr max, you don't have to worry about the battery life (cough cough)   

Yes, but the Razr Maxx came out after the Nexus, and is just now getting ICS where I've had it since day one (last November). There are always trade-offs for buying early. Additionally, with the Nexus I don't have to deal with Motoblur or any other launcher because the stock Android experience is very clean.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:28 EDT »

My company provided my Razr (no Maxx), so I can't really complain. The battery isnt that bad though, certainly not any worse than other phones I've owned.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:29 EDT »

Yes, but the Razr Maxx came out after the Nexus, and is just now getting ICS where I've had it since day one (last November). There are always trade-offs for buying early. Additionally, with the Nexus I don't have to deal with Motoblur or any other launcher because the stock Android experience is very clean.

true but ICS is not a big deal to me.   I should be getting it soon.  I don't know enough about it to know what I have been missing.  Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 03:59:36 EDT »

true but ICS is not a big deal to me.   I should be getting it soon.  I don't know enough about it tNJo know what I have been missing.  Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.

ICS just went public today on Razr and Razr Maxx.  I love the new interface and feel.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:39 EDT »

true but ICS is not a big deal to me.   I should be getting it soon.  I don't know enough about it to know what I have been missing.  Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.

And ICS was the sole reason why I bought the Nexus early. I do wish the battery life was better, but it is overall a good phone.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:40 EDT »

And ICS was the sole reason why I bought the Nexus early. I do wish the battery life was better, but it is overall a good phone.

Yeah our IT guy went Nexus for the same reason.  Something about that, I guess.   I've only had my max for a month, so the wait wasn't that bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: