VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 06:41:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The action that delayed the Sheriff’s induction into the HOF  (Read 965 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2021, 02:32:38 EDT »

https://twitter.com/volnetwork/status/1424164737718394881?s=21

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 05:04:34 EDT »

Great to see that again, but it didn't delay anything.  Eligibility for HOF is based on being 5 years past retirement. Likely Peyton would have retired at the same age even if he came out a year early.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:31:21 EDT »

I still remember the celebrating when Manning committed to the Vols!  Geez, that was in the infancy of the WWW - I think I followed it on Gridscape.....pretty sure that was before the ol' Vols Board, but I might be wrong. 

It would be interesting to see what would have happened to Peyton's NFL career if he came out 1 year early.  Would he have gone first pick?  to the St Louis Rams???  I think his career would have been much different.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 09:19:28 EDT »

I still remember the celebrating when Manning committed to the Vols!  Geez, that was in the infancy of the WWW - I think I followed it on Gridscape.....pretty sure that was before the ol' Vols Board, but I might be wrong. 

It would be interesting to see what would have happened to Peyton's NFL career if he came out 1 year early.  Would he have gone first pick?  to the St Louis Rams???  I think his career would have been much different.

LOL, when he first committed, I was in the AF living on the West Coast. We got zero SEC news locally, and I didn’t have web access (which was pretty much unattainable on an E-3 salary at the time). So I didn’t even know who he was until I bought my preseason Lindy’s magazine.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 02:07:15 EDT »

I agree.  I think he made the right decision to stay, not only for the Vols, but for how his career turned out.  Another year of seasoning helped him, and I'm glad he won a championship in the SEC.  He often gets flack for "not winning a championship" in college, but the SEC is not an "everyone gets a trophy" trophy by any means.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 02:37:57 EDT »

LOL, when he first committed, I was in the AF living on the West Coast. We got zero SEC news locally, and I didn’t have web access (which was pretty much unattainable on an E-3 salary at the time). So I didn’t even know who he was until I bought my preseason Lindy’s magazine.
1st I knew of him was the UCLA game

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 05:40:29 EDT »

1st I knew of him was the UCLA game

Shut up and call the play....  classic
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 09:46:37 EDT »

I remember that UCLA game. I think Keith Jackson was the TV announcer for  it. The rest is history. Speaking of his career I just keep thinking what if he would have beaten UF just once. Damn. If he had he would probably have won the Heisman and or if it was in his Jr. year maybe he came out early. It would have definitely changed some of his decisions/options.   

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 10:28:12 EDT »

I heard one pundit today(Adam Schefter) saying that his HOF induction speech was a just a precursor to him eventually becoming commissioner of the NFL.  That position might be too political his tastes. Who knows?

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: