VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 05:30:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Majors vs. Jones....what I said  (Read 2847 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2016, 04:22:31 EST »

utch vs Johnny
Johnny Majors took over a Tennessee program that was not as far down as it was when Butch stepped in. When Johnny took over in 1977, Tennessee had not suffered a losing season since 1962. Also, at the time, teams only played a six game SEC schedule. Compare Johnny's first four years to what Butch has done:

Johnny went 4-7, 5-5-1, 7-5, and 5-6 (21-23-1 -- .467). That included one bowl appearance, a loss to Purdue in the Bluebonnet Bowl. To add to that the next four years were 8-4, 6-5-1, 9-3, and 7-4-1 (8 yr total = 51-39-2 - .559). These years included trips to the Garden State Bowl (W), Peach Bowl (L), Citrus Bowl (W), and the Sun Bowl (L).

Butch took over a dumpster fire of a program that had suffered losing seasons in 3 consecutive seasons prior and 4 of the previous 5. He has gone 5-7, 7-6, 9-4 and is presently 8-3 (29-20 -- .591). This included trips to the Gator Bowl (W) and the Outback Bowl (W).

Yet, many of the same folks who want to canonize Johnny want to fire Butch.

The above was posted on another message board. And yes, compared to Johnny's first four years Butch is far better, and guess what? The scholarship limits were also higher when Johnny was our coach.

Anyway, it's quite a contrast, right?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 04:34:46 EST »

If I were an AD, my general rule of thumb would be to never fire a coach who is on an upward trajectory, even if that trajectory isn't moving quite as fast as some people would like.  Our record has improved every year under Butch, and would be much better this year without all the injuries. 

That said, if they begin to plateau, you don't want to let them linger there for too long, either (unless that plateau is at the very top).  So next season will be a big one for Butch.  So will the next couple recruiting classes.  This program still has forward momentum, but you see recruiting coming back down to earth a bit, and it's not hard to imagine that momentum coming to an end in a couple years.  I did see that our 3* QB commit that most thought was a reach decommitted today.  Hopefully that's a good thing.  There's still time to salvage a great class this year, but things need to get moving.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:42:07 EST »

If I were an AD, my general rule of thumb would be to never fire a coach who is on an upward trajectory, even if that trajectory isn't moving quite as fast as some people would like.  Our record has improved every year under Butch, and would be much better this year without all the injuries. 

That said, if they begin to plateau, you don't want to let them linger there for too long, either (unless that plateau is at the very top).  So next season will be a big one for Butch.  So will the next couple recruiting classes.  This program still has forward momentum, but you see recruiting coming back down to earth a bit, and it's not hard to imagine that momentum coming to an end in a couple years.  I did see that our 3* QB commit that most thought was a reach decommitted today.  Hopefully that's a good thing.  There's still time to salvage a great class this year, but things need to get moving.

Agree BDV.....recruiting is the lifeblood and no more so than in the SEC. Last years class was around 8th in the SEC......If this 2017 class doesn't improve a lot by Feb. we will be around 7th, 8th or 9th in the SEC again. Just can't have back to back recruiting classes like that and compete for championships and it makes 2 years down the road even more difficult to compete.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:37:27 EST »

Agree about the recruiting, but we are currently 5th in the SEC per Rivals, behind LSU, Georgia, Tamu and .... of course .... bammer.

I understand our numbers are inflated and we may drop 2-3 other SEC teams that currently have fewer numbers, but for now the class looks acceptable.

I would rather it look great though.  Here's hoping we get a few more 4-star and maybe a 5-star or two by signing day.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 04:48:26 EST »

Agree about the recruiting, but we are currently 5th in the SEC per Rivals, behind LSU, Georgia, Tamu and .... of course .... bammer.

I understand our numbers are inflated and we may drop 2-3 other SEC teams that currently have fewer numbers, but for now the class looks acceptable.

I would rather it look great though.  Here's hoping we get a few more 4-star and maybe a 5-star or two by signing day.

Trey Smiths Dad told me Monday he wanted me and my wife to be at Trey's announcement ceremony on Dec. 6th. I told him I'd be there and if it didn't go the way I wanted....I might/probably would cause a ugly scene

Here's hoping.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 02:04:59 EST »

Trey Smiths Dad told me Monday he wanted me and my wife to be at Trey's announcement ceremony on Dec. 6th. I told him I'd be there and if it didn't go the way I wanted....I might/probably would cause a ugly scene

Here's hoping.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: