VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:58:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking news: the band will no longer be allowed to play Rocky Top  (Read 8498 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:26:40 EDT »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/12/indiana-high-school-bans-classic-country-song-at-football-games-because-itspolitically-incorrect/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:28:25 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:38:04 EDT »

But's it's ok to listen to RAP on the way to and from the game I guess...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:55:23 EDT »

I love that they object to the moonshine reference, but are apparently oblivious to the part about killing federal agents.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:56:03 EDT »

dear principal dumb a$$

they were revonoeurs you stupid shizzle

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:11 EDT »

I love that they object to the moonshine reference, but are apparently oblivious to the part about killing federal agents.

I've always objected to the interpretation that the two strangers are killed. I think the federal agents went up there and fell in love with the good life and decided to stay. 

It's hilarious to me that this guy has been the principal at the school and has heard this song over and over at the games, and then "someone" approaches him and objects to the song and he decides, "Hey, yeah, we'd better ban that!" The knee-jerk reactions of the PC police are comical. Even more comical is that at any high school game I've ever attended where Rocky Top was played, the crowd (like at UT) only sings the chorus, which references nothing about moonshine. So, basically, you can't play or sing a song that omits the references to alcohol, but as TnPhil pointed out, it's okay to play rap songs on the PA system during warmups that simply has explicit lyrics and references omitted.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:15:15 EDT »

I've always objected to the interpretation that the two strangers are killed. I think the federal agents went up there and fell in love with the good life and decided to stay.  

Not me.  I think it's about murdering them- and I think that's pretty badass.  While our opponents' songs are all, "rah rah, yea team, get up the field and score"- ours says, "mess with us, and we will literally fizzleing kill you".  Pure awesomeness.

tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:14 EDT »

But's it's ok to listen to RAP on the way to and from the game I guess...

No kidding.........the local high school here has rap blaring from the PA during warm ups.  There's many lines in it that have me thinking "I can't believe a school administration is allowing that to play over the system."  Yet, a reference to a still is too much.  This is just another indication of where our country is headed unfortunately.   
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:36 EDT »

I'd like like to see them try to stop 100,000 fans from singing it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: