VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 10:47:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm watching Wimbledon, and it occurs to me...  (Read 3090 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:42 EDT »

How is it that male athletes can get "ripped", and the steroid whispers start flying (and they're often correct).  But there's a certain female tennis player who is more muscular than any of her male counterparts (let alone her actual  female competition), and who is still winning grand slams at an age when most of her peers are long since retired, and no one says a word?

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:58 EDT »

the chick that the FSU QB hit bore some responsibility because she hit him first and I got blasted because it's different standards. No doubt the QB was a POS for hitting her like he did, but for nearly everyone to say she didn't precipitate the entire event ....I was somewhat surprised. I was trying to be completely unbiased as a judge should be and I've watched the video 4-5 x and I don't see how she could avoid being charged too. But yeah, there's definitely double standards.             
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:36:05 EDT »

the chick that the FSU QB hit bore some responsibility because she hit him first and I got blasted because it's different standards. No doubt the QB was a POS for hitting her like he did, but for nearly everyone to say she didn't precipitate the entire event ....I was somewhat surprised. I was trying to be completely unbiased as a judge should be and I've watched the video 4-5 x and I don't see how she could avoid being charged too. But yeah, there's definitely double standards.             

Well, I think in thread you're referring to, on that particular forum, there IS a double standard in play.  But it has nothing to do with men and women.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:04:13 EDT »

Well,  according to her WTA profile,  she is 5'9.5" and 150 lbs. Just a typical thin,  well proportioned female. Somehow,  I don't think that is a clinically accurate scale.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:10:30 EDT »

Well, I think in thread you're referring to, on that particular forum, there IS a double standard in play.  But it has nothing to do with men and women.

Doesn't matter if she threatened to hit him, or attempted to hit him, or actually landed a slap/punch/whatever.  The kid has got to walk away in that situation.  Retaliation put him in a no win situation. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:11:20 EDT »

My only question is .. Why are you watching Wimbledon? IMO watching tennis is about as exciting as watching grass grow. And only slightly more exciting than FIFA soccer.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:12:48 EDT »

My only question is .. Why are you watching Wimbledon? IMO watching tennis is about as exciting as watching grass grow. And only slightly more exciting than FIFA soccer.
At least at Wimbledon there is grass ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:03:00 EDT »

Doesn't matter if she threatened to hit him, or attempted to hit him, or actually landed a slap/punch/whatever.  The kid has got to walk away in that situation.  Retaliation put him in a no win situation.  

No doubt, and the FSU guy got tossed from the team, as he deserved.  But in the thread in question, it's pretty obvious that the double standard breaks not on the gender line, but on the uniform worn by the player.  Just compare their reactions to the FSU case with their reactions to this little incident back in the day...

http://deadspin.com/235846/get-those-pom-poms-out-of-joakim-noahs-face
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:17:51 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: