VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 04:00:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glad we won, if we hadn't..  (Read 3284 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2016, 07:27:11 EDT »

Can you think of a more damaging loss to the program in recent school history this could've been?  Even Wyoming was a year that had pretty much been packed in.

This is supposed to be the most talented team weve had on over a decade.  So much leadership, and depth.  Such hogh hopes this year.  Several top recruits waiting to see if we're for real.

Geez, would've been so bad.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:50:27 EDT »

Yup.  I have a friend who texts lots of negative things during the game and I fire back to wait till after the game and stay positive.  After tonight's game, we talked and he said I would have tried to tell him how the season wasn't lost yet.

Nope.  It would have been a complete cluster.  With expectations of going no worse than 10-2 and winning the East, you can't recover from a loss to Appy State in game 1.  And it almost certainly would have been the beginning of the end for Butch.

I will say that Appy State is far better than Wyoming was, and could probably beat most of the lower tier teams in the SEC on a given day. They don't have the "brand recognition" though, and perception is everything.  Also, we would have endlessly been compared to U mich 2007, which is actually negative branding. 

HUGE relief, and hope it was a one-off.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 02:08:14 EDT »

Yeah, wouldn't you say App St might be the 4th or 5th best team on our schedule?
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:35:12 EDT »

Yeah, wouldn't you say App St might be the 4th or 5th best team on our schedule?

Maybe even the 3rd best, they weren't a bad team

11B4PJ3F7
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:42:58 EDT »

Their QB isn't great at running or throwing. They might be even with Mizzou talentwise.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:55:49 EDT »

Their QB isn't great at running or throwing. They might be even with Mizzou talentwise.
Throwing I would agree.  Running, while not to Dobbs level he was effective

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:22:09 EDT »

There is just no way to put lipstick on that pig.  No way. 

If UT brings the game to Bristol that they brought to Neyland last night Bud Foster will have a heyday. 

The old cliche is that a teams makes its most improvement from the first to second game.  We had all better hope that our offense lives up to that.  If not, the Battle at Bristol could turn out to be bad for our side. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:39:17 EDT »

I myself was certainly not trying to put lipstick on the pig.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 05:46:02 EDT »

I myself was certainly not trying to put lipstick on the pig.

Didn't mean to infer that you were. 

Just my observation. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 09:33:59 EDT »

There is just no way to put lipstick on that pig.  No way. 

If UT brings the game to Bristol that they brought to Neyland last night Bud Foster will have a heyday. 

The old cliche is that a teams makes its most improvement from the first to second game.  We had all better hope that our offense lives up to that.  If not, the Battle at Bristol could turn out to be bad for our side. 

"No way to put lipstick on that pig" agree completely.

But Appy State is better than Va Tech, and I would bet serious money they would beat them.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: