VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 12:43:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We stopped the movement on offense in the 2nd half  (Read 1676 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2022, 03:29:37 EST »

With 1 & 25 on the bench with 3 (or 4) fouls the subs just didn't move as well
That resulted in our offensive implosion.
The only players constantly moving in the 2nd half were Fulky & Ziegler, who played really well tonight
Ziegler is so quick lightning can't keep up

I was surprised how well Uros played.  He really hustles on defense
It was very clear he was to double their guards when they were outside high
With Fulky we really didn't do that

Late in the game when Ziegler stole the ball in their lane and fed Chandler for the layup the building exploded.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:00:27 EST »

Didn't we have Powell, Plavsic, and Fulky in for much if not all of that stretch? Not a good lineup. Surprised they played as long as they did. If we had added Vescovi, we could call that our "slow ball" lineup!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:02:51 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 04:01:24 EST »

Powell has been slumping. Hope he gets his shot going.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 04:19:47 EST »

Didn't we have Powell, Plavsic, and Fulky in for much if not all of that stretch? Not a good lineup. Surprised they played as long as they did. If we had added Vescovi, we could call that our "slow ball" lineup!
Vescovi and Kennedy were on the bench in foul trouble, mostly due to being pushed off by the tutu and getting fouls called on THEM

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 04:59:37 EST »

I'm lame...what does "Just push P" mean?
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 05:25:13 EST »

The only players constantly moving in the 2nd half were Fulky & Ziegler, who played really well tonight

Late in the game when Ziegler stole the ball in their lane and fed Chandler for the layup the building exploded.
Exactly my thoughts. This team is better on offense when we push the pace on the offensive end. In the second half were a lot more deliberate. Some of that is personnel. They need to be playing with pace and have movement (other than the weave motion at the top of the key).
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 04:13:19 EST »

Vescovi can't get in foul trouble, because then Bailey has to play more, and he isn't very good offensively. Other than ZZ, offensively sub par games for KC, JJJ. Luckily we do have depth this year
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 12:39:33 EST »

I've said for 2 years this team needs to run and not turn racehorses into plow mules
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 02:53:38 EST »

Glad I’m not the only one.   
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 11:32:03 EST »

Does or doesn't Barnes recognize all of this? He should. Or he is way over paid. Why can't he get any consistency out of his teams? He really never has.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 11:59:47 EST »

Didn't we win this game? Or did I miss something? Holy shizzle.

And isn't there a good deal of agreement that the lack of pace was personnel based? 

This thread went south in a hurry! 

Dont slit your wrists just yet, we did win.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 05:19:57 EST »

Hope they can shoot against KY. Vandy aint KY. I would love one win against KY this season. Seems like we beat them at least once most years lately. Maybe that's just my perception. Haven't really looked it up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:00:02 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 06:01:44 EST »

Hope they can shoot against KY. Vandy aint KY. I would love one win against KY this season. Seems like we beat them at least once most years lately. Maybe that's just my perception. Haven't really looked it up.

We have definitely been at least splitting. I think one year we swept them.  Tonight is a huge game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 06:55:32 EST »

Seems they keep getting better and the Vols don't. Would love a W tonight. Some more tough games coming up.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 07:17:46 EST »

Anyone who hasn’t seen improvement in this team over the past few weeks isn’t looking for it, imo. The team has had times where they’ve not been as productive as we would all like for them to be, but overall I think they have progressed over the past several games.

At one point early in the SEC season I thought that a .500 SEC record would be tough to achieve. A win tonight would put this team in a tie for second (as far as losses go, anyway). I didn’t think that was possible after the first few weeks of January.

I do not see this team as a final four or elite 8 squad right now, but overall the level of play has improved as far as I’m concerned.

**Addendum: We may get beat by UK tonight. I think they are definitely final four capable at this point (I really hate to say that), but I am hoping for a much better showing than earlier at Rupp.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 07:29:26 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 07:30:56 EST »

Anyone who hasn’t seen improvement in this team over the past few weeks isn’t looking for it, imo. The team has had times where they’ve not been as productive as we would all like for them to be, but overall I think they have progressed over the past several games.

At one point early in the SEC season I thought that a .500 SEC record would be tough to achieve. A win tonight would put this team in a tie for second (as far as losses go, anyway). I didn’t think that was possible after the first few weeks of January.

I do not see this team as a final four or elite 8 squad right now, but overall the level of play has improved as far as I’m concerned.
Barns has decided his closing lineup
He also seems to have settled on a post rotation (still evolving a bit but the bases is evident)
We are good maybe 7 deep, then talent level drops off.  We need Powell to regain his shooting form and Victor Bailey to really lock down on defense
If both those happen we will be as ready as we can for the tourney - Sweet 16 team IMO

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 10:16:01 EST »

definitely improvement

as I have posted previously, there was an opinion earlier in the season by fans tracking them closely that this team was 50-50....as likely to be bad as good on a given night.

That has definitely improved to "mostly good" IMO.

I just hope they continue to improve.

Looking forward to the game tonight very much.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 11:32:12 EST »

**Addendum: We may get beat by UK tonight. I think they are definitely final four capable at this point (I really hate to say that), but I am hoping for a much better showing than earlier at Rupp.

No question this year's team is better than last year's team. For one thing, we have 2 PG on this team. JJJ and SV are much better this year as well.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 11:51:06 EST »

Seems they keep getting better and the Vols don't. Would love a W tonight. Some more tough games coming up.
Improvement, concur
Before the season Viscovi essentially remade himself and is significantly improved physiucallly, basketball skills and leadership
Uros has improved considerably, really helped his confidence
Nikamhoua had really improved his skills, earning the starting spot before his injury

Within the season in my view the greatest improvement is in the individuals learning their position within the team and utilizing their skills to maximize themselves
Kennedy has improved considerably, if still a an inconsistent FR.  He is still learning
ZZ has improved considerably, learning more to play within himself.  He seems to thrive as the "6th man"  and I agree with others that he will be a fan favorite for as long as he is here
JJJ's leadership skills have improved and Rick trusts him
Fulky didn't improve but, he accepted his new role and I observed his leadership Sat night.  I believe in his mind that it is still "his" team and he will do everything he can to maximize it's potential
If anyone disagrees with my assessment, I don't give a FULK!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 12:48:29 EST »

Barnes has a history of developing guys, but there are some that don't. Bailey didn't improve this year, and Fulk didn't either but he is what he is now.  Otherwise, Rick does a really good job of getting guys to improve every year. Nkamhoua and Vescovi are much improved. I think Vescovi will make all SEC, as well as Chandler. Not first team though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: