VTTW Board Index
May 31, 2024, 06:51:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are your top 3 VOL QBs?  (Read 1110 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2022, 02:47:22 EDT »

It's 3 Days and a wakeup till its
FOOTBALL TIME in TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guido and his wife J

The gang at a tailgate (Checkout granny holding TROLo, who Guido named)

In honor of our friends Guido, BTH, VolKen, Tango, NissanVol
 & UT Pop

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 03:25:29 EDT »

Peyton, Tee, Casey. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 03:35:52 EDT »

Peyton, Tee, Casey. 

This list is incomplete without Andy Kelly on it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 05:20:30 EDT »

My wife said it wasn't until after he left UT that she found out his name was actually Andy and not Damnit...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 05:40:48 EDT »

I think AK had the good fortune to be surrounded by the most offensive talent we’ve ever fielded at UT over a 3 year period. CobbWebb at RB, followed by Thompson, Stewart, Hayden, and Garner. Pickens, Harper, Faulkner, Fleming, Morgan at WR. Amsler, Poles, and Phillips at FB. Steamroller OLs that featured Still, Myslinski, Davis, and McRae.

Put that kind of firepower around Manning, Shuler, or even Dobbs and they’re going undefeated and averaging 50 ppg.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 05:50:28 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:14:02 EDT »

Peyton, SHULER, Tee

How could Heath not be on such a list.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 09:13:58 EDT »

This list is incomplete without Andy Kelly on it.

I vaguely remember him.  Right on the front end of when I started tagging along to games with my Dad.  I just don’t personally remember that many of his moments.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 09:22:19 EDT »

I vaguely remember him.  Right on the front end of when I started tagging along to games with my Dad.  I just don’t personally remember that many of his moments.

My comment is mostly in jest. I realize Kelly doesn't rank anywhere close to the top of the list of UT quarterbacks (I'd probably put him behind Manning, Shuler, Clausen, Martin, Dobbs and Holloway, in that order...probably behind Tony Robinson too). But he will forever define UT football for me because he was the QB during my coming-of-age years. That '89-'91 era was such a beautiful time. If I had a time machine, that would be my first stop, just for fall football Saturdays.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:33:32 EDT »

My comment is mostly in jest. I realize Kelly doesn't rank anywhere close to the top of the list of UT quarterbacks (I'd probably put him behind Manning, Shuler, Clausen, Martin, Dobbs and Holloway, in that order...probably behind Tony Robinson too). But he will forever define UT football for me because he was the QB during my coming-of-age years. That '89-'91 era was such a beautiful time. If I had a time machine, that would be my first stop, just for fall football Saturdays.
Often, Kelly's early play in games got us behind and then he would lead a comeback
To me he would have been too inconsistent to rate too high

QBs when coming of age?
Swamprat for me

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 09:36:35 EDT »

I know, no worries.    

I’m right there with ya, as I think we’re around the same age.  

You’re right, there will always be something about that era.  Shuler is more that guy for me and I went back and forth between him and Casey.  Shuler is the era I remember most.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 11:04:07 EDT »

Had season tickets in the 70s...80's....thru 96. Those were some fun times.....The game...The Strip...even all the #@@$&*% road construction on I-40

Actually saw a guy in a Corvette pull a trucker out of his cab and whip his ass right there on the pavement of I-40 in a construction zone up around Harriman....We would have stopped to help the trucker but we were in a hurry to get to the game 
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 01:20:59 EDT »

Peyton, Casey, Dewey Warren

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 01:05:11 EDT »

Who is the most under rated QB at UT?
https://www.ranker.com/list/best-tennessee-volunteers-quarterbacks/ranker-college-football
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:06:50 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 05:22:44 EDT »

I can only rate based on the ones I have seen play

1 - Peyton
2 - T-Rob
3 - Heath

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 05:48:45 EDT »

......Manning, Shuler, Clausen, Martin, Dobbs and Holloway......

I love me some Tee, but putting him before Dobbs? I remember many games when Tee couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, even if he was inside a square barn and the doors were closed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:50:39 EDT by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 05:59:34 EDT »

I love me some Tee, but putting him before Dobbs? I remember many games when Tee couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, even if he was inside a square barn and the doors were closed

I’ve said it before- Dobbs had to constantly overcome his coach’s incompetence. It became evident in 2017 (the year after he left) that he was the only thing holding this program together under Butch. With better coaching, I think Dobbs is remembered as our 2nd greatest QB of the modern era.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 06:00:23 EDT »

Mine are:
1. Peyton
2. Heath
3 Josh

Honorable Mention: The Swamprat
Warren was nowhere near the top of the charts but his "Longest yard" against UCLA tells you all about his will to win

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 06:01:08 EDT »

I’ve said it before- Dobbs had to constantly overcome his coach’s incompetence. It became evident in 2017 (the year after he left) that he was the only thing holding this program together under Butch. With better coaching, I think Dobbs is remembered as our 2nd greatest QB of the modern era.
This!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 06:42:41 EDT »

He won a national championship. Even if he did try his best to give it away against Arkansas. I'll grant you that he was on a team that was supremely more talented than any team Dobbs played on, but we've heard the sports "experts" say for years that Brady was a better QB than Manning because rings. So...

Dobbs was a talent. But I have a problem ranking a QB higher who won almost nothing meaningful.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 06:59:36 EDT »

It would be hard for me to pick one of Tee and Dobbs....Both gave us some good highlights....Even though Tee had 2 years of very average passer rating (in the mid 50's IIRC) he did give us a 13-0 NC season....Dobbs gave us some highlights but he also lost twice to Vandy....Tee's team had talent for sure...Dobbs teams had some darn good talent too...IIRC there are 16 players off the 2016 team in the NFL...or was a weeks ago...Butch had some talent he just couldn't coach a lick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: