VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 05:21:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tee has declined the Tennessee Job  (Read 10430 times)
eVOLved
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:32 EST »

Per TN Sports Radio twitter feed ‏@TNSportsRadio

Breaking: Tee Martin has declined the Tennessee Job.
101stDad
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:50:01 EST »

Not at all surprised, if accurate.  I thought all along that if he left Knoxville without accepting the job that he wasn't going to take it.  

https://twitter.com/TNSportsRadio
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:53:51 EST by 101stDad » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:00 EST »

yeah...I expected that. I suspect Butch Jones did too and has already looked at other guys

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:19:13 EST »

If this is the case, then I wish Tee well in his USC Career, however short it may hopefully be with Kiffin. Could have used those players Tee's recruiting for USC. If he turned us down to accept Saban's offer, then I hope he face plants in some bovine excrement.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:16 EST »

Damn turned down again!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:49 EST »

If this is the case, then I wish Tee well in his USC Career, however short it may hopefully be with Kiffin. Could have used those players Tee's recruiting for USC. If he turned us down to accept Saban's offer, then I hope he face plants in some bovine excrement.

If true He can crash and burn with Lame Kiffin

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 05:19:20 EST »

Don't be that guy.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:01 EST »

Why? Because he made a decision that he thinks is the best for him and his family and not for WoodstockVol? He's done more for UT than ANY fan has, so you can keep your statements to yourself, they're nothing but sour grapes

11B4PJ3F7
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:19 EST »

Why? Because he made a decision that he thinks is the best for him and his family and not for WoodstockVol? He's done more for UT than ANY fan has, so you can keep your statements to yourself, they're nothing but sour grapes

So be it

Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 06:46:34 EST »

I certainly do not resent Tee for his decision. However, we have been through a long stretch of bad play on the field, poor coaching, and rejection. Both the program and fan base are in a very fragile state right now, so I understand the frustration some folks feel when one of our own turns us down.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 06:48:34 EST »

I certainly do not resent Tee for his decision. However, we have been through a long stretch of bad play on the field, poor coaching, and rejection. Both the program and fan base are in a very fragile state right now, so I understand the frustration some folks feel when one of our own turns us down.

Yep. I'm sorta indifferent to it, because while I would love to have some former Vols on staff I'm far from sold on his coaching abilities. But it's just part of it. If Tee worked for anyone other than Kiffin, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when your national championship quarterback turns you down to stay with the coach who you still despise for his midnight flight to Southern Cal . . . yeah, there's gonna be some resentment there.
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:06:19 EST »

Yep. I'm sorta indifferent to it, because while I would love to have some former Vols on staff I'm far from sold on his coaching abilities. But it's just part of it. If Tee worked for anyone other than Kiffin, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when your national championship quarterback turns you down to stay with the coach who you still despise for his midnight flight to Southern Cal . . . yeah, there's gonna be some resentment there.

I think that when we did not get Gruden and had to settle for Jones, many folks rallied behind the possibility of (at least) getting Tee back at UT. Whatever his on field coaching abilities, there is a perception that he would be good for recruiting. So I think his rejection would have wounded no matter where he was coaching. However, for some, the fact that he is with Kiffin rubs salt into this wound.  
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:24 EST »

Too bad. Tee would have been treated like a king here. I'm sure he had his reasons for staying where he is, but he'll never be loved there like he is here.
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 07:49:15 EST »

Very disappointing if confirmed.  Tee knows whats best for him and his family though.  It means that we need to find another good recruiter for this staff.  Watching to see what choices are made in this regard...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:38 EST »

I can understand why he turned us down, and after reading a fuller background story on it (wife probably wants to stay in LA), I understand why.  I don't resent him staying there at all, even if it is Kiffin.

I will agree with 101st if he turns us down for BAMMER though.  It's one thing to turn down UT and stick with Kiffin, another to turn us down to go work with Saban.  That would definitely piss me off. What, Knoxville is not good enough but Tuscaloosa is?  At that point, I would suspect Tee is effing with us.

Having said that, I think the chances he ends up with saban are nil.  In fact, I never saw any confirmation that saban's interest in Tee was ever more than a rumor.

I give Tee props for actually coming to Knoxville...though it may have been a way of sneaking in a visit with his son (a middle school student in Knoxville from a previous relationship), but I don't even blame him for that.  It was good just seeing him on campus again. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
NC Enginerd
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:54 EST »

I blame Lyn.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G.K. Chesterton ILN, 4/19/24
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:40:03 EST »

I blame Lyn.

Oh, bite me! 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:21 EST »

I think that when we did not get Gruden and had to settle for Jones, many folks rallied behind the possibility of (at least) getting Tee back at UT. Whatever his on field coaching abilities, there is a perception that he would be good for recruiting. So I think his rejection would have wounded no matter where he was coaching. However, for some, the fact that he is with Kiffin rubs salt into this wound.  

Ya know I am sick and tired of this "when we did not get Gruden" talk......Gruden is not going to give up his "work weekends and make 400K per week" ESPN gig.   At best it was a long shot to get Gruden.  Strong was just using UT to get a raise out of Lousiville just as the OSU coach did.  I am happy we have a coach that wants to be here.  Jones wanted the job and he let Hart know it.  So we did NOT settle for Jones we got a coach that has won everywhere he has been and is glad he is here.....

(See Urban Meyers story for proof that a coach that wins at "smaller schools" can be successful at "larger schools")

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:50 EST »

Ya know I am sick and tired of this "when we did not get Gruden" talk......Gruden is not going to give up his "work weekends and make 400K per week" ESPN gig.   At best it was a long shot to get Gruden.  Strong was just using UT to get a raise out of Lousiville just as the OSU coach did.  I am happy we have a coach that wants to be here.  Jones wanted the job and he let Hart know it.  So we did NOT settle for Jones we got a coach that has won everywhere he has been and is glad he is here.....

(See Urban Meyers story for proof that a coach that wins at "smaller schools" can be successful at "larger schools")

Me thinks you just may be right

Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 05:07:34 EST »

I like Jones and I think he's gonna be successful here. But UT interviewed a set of candidates even after the Gruden rejection and none of them worked out. So, yes, Tennessee did "settle" for Jones. He wasn't even one of Hart's top five candidates when the search started. By every definition of the word, he was a fallback guy. Which may mean, as Mortensen said, that Tennessee got "lucky." Time will tell.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 05:29:21 EST »

I like Jones and I think he's gonna be successful here. But UT interviewed a set of candidates even after the Gruden rejection and none of them worked out. So, yes, Tennessee did "settle" for Jones. He wasn't even one of Hart's top five candidates when the search started. By every definition of the word, he was a fallback guy. Which may mean, as Mortensen said, that Tennessee got "lucky." Time will tell.

This article claims Jones was on Hart's initial short list.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/dec/08/cincinnatis-butch-jones-accepts-uts-head-football/
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:37:50 EST »

Hart said during his Q&A at the press conference that Jones was on the original list of, I believe, 6 people.  I'll look for his exact response.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:32 EST »

Here are the Hart comments I remembered:

On several candidates turning down the job: "I think when you get into a search and you target, and we had half a dozen targets that I thought could do the job.  You move on if you offer the job and somebody takes or somebody doesn't, you move on and you feel confident in going onto the next guy.  I think it was stated very well by Butch: things just work out.  Things work out for the best."

On when Jones got on his list of candidates: "Butch was on that list all along.  We did not get a face to face, until I said, last evening.  I knew he was weighing the Colorado job.  I knew he had been offered a couple of other jobs and really felt secure in Cincinnati.  It was not 20 minutes into our conversation that lasted through the night that I could see genuine passion.  It wasn't artificial when he said, 'Dave, this is my dream job.'  I knew that that was coming from his heart."

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:01 EST »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 
Creek Walker
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 12:00:23 EST »

I remember very well what Hart told us, and I also know he was selling us a little AD speak.

Whether Hart did or not, UT wanted Gruden and didn't get him. Hart wanted Fisher and didn't get him. He interviewed Strong and Gundy and didn't get either of them. He interviewed Fedora and apparently decided he didn't want him. It wasn't until after those five candidates were exhausted that he turned to Jones.

Based on what we know about Jones and what we've seen and heard from him, I'd rank him No. 2 on that list of candidates. But it is what it is. If being No. 6 meets the definition of "short list," maybe he was on the short list. But he clearly wasn't one of Hart's first five choices.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: