VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 02:24:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So there's some talk that outside of the turnovers  (Read 7631 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:00:47 EDT »

we didn't play very well and it would have been a close game. I think that's a stupid argument for a number of reasons, but consider this with me . . .

If an opposing QB misreads a play and makes an ill advised throw, what does a defense have to do to capitalize? It has to be in the right position, and it has to make a play on the ball. Did the UT defense do either of those things last year? No. It didn't. So we need to acknowledge that while the defense did allow WKU to move the ball (and we expected some of that with Petrino), it made drive-stopping plays and even put points on the board by being where it needed to be and making plays when the opportunity arose. Both of the fumbles were forced, too . . . again an example of the D making a play.

I'm still pretty concerned about Worley. There have been a number of throws this year that should have been easy TDs but he's so late with the ball and seems to throw consistently behind his receivers that they either didn't connect or forced the receiver to come back to the ball and fail to score. Against better defenses, some of those are turnovers. I hope he and the WRs can get their timing down because we will need those plays in the next 6 games. I don't know that we have any better options, so I'm just hoping things start to click better.

I expect this weekend to be brutal, and while I'm not writing it off completely I'm mainly looking for progress in a losing effort. Against Florida Worley's play will be critical, because I think that's a game we can win if we don't make too many mistakes on offense. His play so far doesn't give me much confidence there, but who knows.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:22 EDT »

The first turnover was a gift...pure manna from heaven. After that, it was all about the defense making plays. I don't think the offense played particularly well in the first half, and the defense certainly had its issues with getting off the field on 3rd down in the first half. But in the second half, Tennessee came out and dominated. WKU never stood a chance. I was pleased with the effort overall though, like you, Worley's play concerns me. He did look better in the second half. Hopefully he's starting to get his sea legs under him, because this team cannot win consistently in the SEC without a better passing game.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:04 EDT »

I made the comment at halftime that had we not had those turnovers, it would be a different game.  At the time, it was true.  What I was very pleased with was the adjustments that were made and the progress the O made in the 2nd half. 

The turnovers were mistakes WKU made, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that our D was where they should be and made the plays when they had the opportunity. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:37 EDT »

Considering how many people thought we'd lose this game, it has just stunned me this morning to see the number of people nitpicking a 32-point win. We were far from perfect but we played a very good second half overall, and forced 6 turnovers in the first half. Again, worth mentioning . . . this was a game some people were convinced we would lose. Take away all those big plays on defense and we still win.

Does it change my outlook on Oregon or the SEC slate? Not a bit. We're still a 6-7 win team. But we should at least take some comfort in the fact that we've beaten badly these two teams that we should have beaten badly.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:28:28 EDT »

If not for the inconsistent play of our receivers and the relatively poor play by Worley, I would be jacked about this team's possibilities moving forward. There's a daylight-dark difference between this year's running game and last year's running game, and the defense appears to be very much improved as well. Obviously coaching is a huge step up. There's a discipline on this year's team that we haven't seen for years. Two penalties in two games (one of them questionable, IMO) is tremendous. I still laugh every time I see the play of the WKU offsides penalty where the entire offensive line didn't move a muscle as Worley was dropping back, scrambling, and then throwing an INT. Tell me that isn't discipline!
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:40:58 EDT »

say that the good was that the defense appeared to be very well prepared for what WK would do which allowed DBs to be in position to make some plays, as CW pointed out the first was completely on the receiver, but Coleman completely read and duped the QB into the throw and he scored six as his payoff. The bad was the fact that the D could not generate a consistent pass rush and was sporadically good against the run, they're RB had too many yards. The offense....well Worley is not good and as I stated earlier, we need a legitimate passing game to take pressure off the run and we don't have that....it wasn't until the second half that we began to run at all and I suspect partly that was due to WK having their energy drained from the TOs in the first half. Also, the blocked punt...Palardy took waaaaaaaaay too long to get that ball off, that has to get corrected NOW, we're not explosive enough to be able to help the other team and mount a come back.

We played virtually mistake free and penalty free and gave good effort IMO. This was one we should have, and did, win so that's good. I can definitely tell the team is receiving good instruction from this staff, it's very apparently IMO...but the talent and depth just isn't sufficient to compete at a high level yet, I fear this week will be ugly. Unless we can just cram the ball down the Duck's throat I expect we have to play from behind early and Worley throws at least 2 int's, probably more. However, if Butch can keep the teams psyche together I think we could have a shot at Fla next week....they didn't look like they will be putting up lots of points this year.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:42:31 EDT by VOLMAN » Logged
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:25:56 EDT »

Any given day!!!!  The VOLS have just as good a chance to win this week as they do every week! Pick, pick, pick...that's what some people will do!!!! I can recall people bitching after the VOLS won the NC in 98.  Outmatched???? most certainly are in a lot of games we have this year....but,,,,,any given day!  Just ask Tiger High in 1996.  Vols were on their way to play for a NC but, Memphis had their day!  Maybe Saturday will be the VOLS day! We as fans can only hope that chemistry comes alive with the QB and WR's and that the defense continues to improve. etc. etc.  but, as for me and my house....We will support the VOLS good and bad and try to remember that these are kids on a field trying to live up to high expectations of the University and fan base!
BTW.......THIS IS NOT AIMED AND ANY OF MY FELLOW VOL FANS.....just my simple West TN opinion!

GO VOLS
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:28:10 EDT »

its stupid because TOs are a part of the game. Anytime any analyst makes that statement they totally lose credibility with me (Mark May)

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:40 EDT »

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:42 EDT »

Without the turnovers we probably go into the half behind. That is how bad the offense was. However we did get the turnovers because the defense did its job. That is part of the game. I knew after we got stuffed on that 3rd and 1 there would be a come to Jesus meeting at the half with the o-line and there needed to be one. They came out and played winning football after the break which TRO noted has not happened any in the past 3 years.

IMHO we were essentially playing a 2nd week one game because AP offered no resistance. Consequently the team did not grow any as they were not pushed. WKU pushed us in the 1st half.....team regrouped, got better, and dominated in the 2nd half. This week should show improvement and it will take it for us to push Oregon. I am under no illusions that we can win but I would like to see us push them until late in the game anyway.

If our improved speed on defense will let us keep them from big plays we can push them, if our offense can possess the ball and score. Oregon has a good defense though so our guys will get their 1st real test of the year. Lets hope they respond with great effort. There is no doubt this team is still a little fragile but they finally saw they can get better when adversity hits so I expect them to compete better than the previous 3 years.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 05:43:11 EDT »

Without turnovers we win 14-13

On and Sutton's pick 6 IMO was the direct result of preperation and presnap reads.  He jumped the route.  Considering how we had provided more cushion in their first drive it had to have been prepped

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:42 EDT »

Without turnovers we win 14-13

On and Sutton's pick 6 IMO was the direct result of preperation and presnap reads.  He jumped the route.  Considering how we had provided more cushion in their first drive it had to have been prepped

I figured either the qb or wr gave that away as it was just too easy.
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:59:28 EDT »

To emphasize the defense's role in those 7 TOs, Grant Ramey tweeted an interesting stat a few minutes ago: In the past 3 seasons, the only team in college football to force as many turnovers as Butch Jones' teams at Cincy and Tennessee is Oklahoma State. 70 each. LSU is next with 66. Now maybe that's just coincidence. Or maybe not. The 2 fumbles were the result of fundamental technique taught in practice. Maybe against a better team with better RBs those fumbles don't happen. Or maybe they do.

Turnovers are just as much a part of the game as the offensive line opening big holes and RBs ripping off big runs.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:17 EDT »

a couple of points in the first half offensive effort.  First the receivers missed three balls that were catchable balls.  One of the long passes hit the receiver (John Johnson) in the hands in stride and was a drop.  Secondly after reviewing the game on tv there was the long pass to North that was deflected at the last moment.  It was not an underthrow just a superb effort by the WKU safety that is considered by many in the NFL as a 1-2 round selection.  

Overall Worley is not Manning, but he is managing the offense pretty efficiently and if this has been Manning many of the complaints would not be discussed.  BTW if you look at ESPN they have a QB Rating for the top 50 QBs in the country.  As of yesterday Who do you think is more higher rated as a QB?  Worley or Murray from UGA?  

BTW Did everyone forget the MAXIMS.....
Play for the breaks and when they happen score. 

It does not say the offense has to score it just says SCORE.  Lets remember that since football is a TEAM game (there is no I in team)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:26:41 EDT by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:02 EDT »

People with those arguments just need to move on.  We made the plays when they were there to be made.  WKU did not.  Typically that is how a team wins a football game. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:18 EDT »

The bad was the fact that the D could not generate a consistent pass rush and was sporadically good against the run, they're RB had too many yards. The offense....well Worley is not good and as I stated earlier, we need a legitimate passing game to take pressure off the run and we don't have that

First of all the defense picked off the passes for a couple of reasons and the first was the tip offs that the defense read and jumped, but the second (and the DBs specifically cited this during the postgame on the radio) was the pressure the front four generated after the first couple of series.  The first series WKU was using a sliding line which means that the defense lines up over one person and then another OL picks up the lineman rushing using a slide technique.  Arkansas used this technique quite a bit under Petrino.  THe line coach and DC adjusted and the Vols were better at rushing after the first series.  

Alabama was a run first offense very much in 2011 and won it all.  An effective passing game has to take just a little pressure off the run game not pass for 350 yards every game.  Lots of fans thin only that an effective passing game is 350 yards and two TDs.  I like the running this team has achieved so far.  240 yards and 300+ yards in two games is nothing to sneeze at after the miserable rushing under Fooley!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:00 EDT »

Well, they had 400 yds of O against us and ran 70 plays!  That's not too good.  Obviously, we cannot always rely on TOs as the method to stop an offense.  What we saw last sat was part freak event, part great aggressive play on D.  Overall we do seem to be better coached, but the D needs to work on tackling and Worley has got to get more accurate with the passing. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 04:40:36 EDT »

If not for the inconsistent play of our receivers and the relatively poor play by Worley, I would be jacked about this team's possibilities moving forward. There's a daylight-dark difference between this year's running game and last year's running game, and the defense appears to be very much improved as well. Obviously coaching is a huge step up. There's a discipline on this year's team that we haven't seen for years. Two penalties in two games (one of them questionable, IMO) is tremendous. I still laugh every time I see the play of the WKU offsides penalty where the entire offensive line didn't move a muscle as Worley was dropping back, scrambling, and then throwing an INT. Tell me that isn't discipline!

Run game has looked great hope it continues against Oregon.  I don't know about night and day vs last year....it was pretty good last year the best its been since 04. Night and day was the difference between 11 and 12 IMO.

But that's good because if its better this year that means it has improved from above avg to good or even dominant.  Hope so..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:43:53 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:18 EDT »

Well, they had 400 yds of O against us and ran 70 plays!  That's not too good.  Obviously, we cannot always rely on TOs as the method to stop an offense.  What we saw last sat was part freak event, part great aggressive play on D.  Overall we do seem to be better coached, but the D needs to work on tackling and Worley has got to get more accurate with the passing. 

We actually gave up 365 yards.  The amazing thing was we gave up 228 yards in first half and only 137 in the second half.  Plus West Ky only scored 3 points in the second half and were 2 / 6 on 3rd downs.  I would say there were some adjustments at half, which never happened last year.
101stDad
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 06:20:57 EDT »

Yep, TOs are part of the game, but do any of you honestly believe that Oregon will put itself in the same position to turn the ball over that WKU did? 

The only similarity between WKU and Oregon is that both put 11 players on the field.  It stops there.

New day, new opponent this week, and one that plays on an entirely different level from what we have seen thus far. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:38:28 EDT »

We are improved in the effort and coaching areas of our team but are vastly outgunned on both sides of the ball in this game. Our best hope is the early start (for their time zone) and we play out of our minds. Couple that with a lethargic home team and we could make it interesting for a little while. I don't see that happening though. They and the crowd will be amped because we are an SEC school. If I were a betting man I would probably take Oregon and give 30+ points. Bad matchup for us all the way around.

Yep, TOs are part of the game, but do any of you honestly believe that Oregon will put itself in the same position to turn the ball over that WKU did? 

The only similarity between WKU and Oregon is that both put 11 players on the field.  It stops there.

New day, new opponent this week, and one that plays on an entirely different level from what we have seen thus far. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 06:55:08 EDT »

They simply have better athletes and are much deeper.  I just don't want to be outcoached; I can live with it otherwise.
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:26 EDT »

I don't think anyone has suggested that Oregon will turn the ball over 7 times. I haven't even seen anyone say that this game will be anything other than a game in which Oregon names its score. This isn't even a discussion about Oregon. It's a discussion about WKU.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: