VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 04:41:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many college football players get ejected the first weekend.....  (Read 2937 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:27:55 EDT »

......due to the new targeting rule? Division I-A only (or the FBS as it's stupidly called).

I'll go with 10.

Any Vols? I'll go with 0 but I think it could happen by accident.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:32 EDT »

Watched the whole debate on ESPN yesterday with various media  types and also officials around the country, many of whom said that Clowney's hit against Michigan would have been illegal and therefore ejection.  If the rule is called to that ridiculous level, it will hurt the game, disenchant fans, frustrate coaches, and result in player injuries from unnatural attempts to avoid player injuries.  In other words, there will be a bunch of P.O.'d folks.  I just hope officials call it judiciously--what are the odds of that?

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:55 EDT »

Watched the whole debate on ESPN yesterday with various media  types and also officials around the country, many of whom said that Clowney's hit against Michigan would have been illegal and therefore ejection.  If the rule is called to that ridiculous level, it will hurt the game, disenchant fans, frustrate coaches, and result in player injuries from unnatural attempts to avoid player injuries.  In other words, there will be a bunch of P.O.'d folks.  I just hope officials call it judiciously--what are the odds of that?

I think that most new rules are called conservatively at first, with warnings given. But I don't think that's the way it goes with this rule. If the officials make a mistaken call, I think they err on the side of being strict.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:12:16 EDT »

All I know is if just one team loses a game due to this rule, it'll be us.  And it will probably happen against UF, if history is any indication.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:16:19 EDT »

What we are seeing is the wuss-ification of football.  Started in the NFL with QBs, based on protecting offenses and maximizing points scored.  Now it is at the NFL and college level, and is being promoted as player safety, but it is really risk mitigation based on potential litigation.  

One one side, many believe the Clowney hit should be illegal as it "looked dangerous."  On the other side, many believe it was a legal hit that impacted the chest first, then Clowney's helmet slid up to knock the helmet off the Michigan RB.  Some refs this year will view it as the former, other refs will view it as the latter.  Which is why I hate this rule, because it will be a judgment call.  Teams always get screwed sooner or later when it is left up to the ref's judgment.  

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:40:47 EDT »

If the Clowney hit is the standard for ejection in some conferences, you will see an ejection every game. Seriously. I don't think it will actually be enforced that strictly, and it makes me wonder if these officials are posturing to get the NCAA to make a lesser recommendation for enforcement of that rule.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:17 EDT »

All I know is if just one team loses a game due to this rule, it'll be us.  And it will probably happen against UF, if history is any indication.

Exactly my first thought.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:50 EDT »

Hate the rule....but IMO the NCAA is scared sheetless that like the NFL, players are going to start filing lawsuits in the near future for head and neck injuries.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:17:15 EDT »

This isn't about the players, it's about legal protection. The part that galls me is the ejection aspect. That's stupid and way too subjective. Losing 15 yards to a questionable call is bad, but losing a player is horrific.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:01:56 EDT »

The count now stands at 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: