VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 08:14:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Thread: Bama 2021  (Read 7957 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2021, 04:33:06 EDT »

What's even more impressive is this was done with an extremely patchwork OL, and a limited Evans.

We've had much more talented OLs have problems with Charlotte.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 04:35:10 EDT »

What's even more impressive is this was done with an extremely patchwork OL, and a limited Evans.

We've had much more talented OLs have problems with Charlotte.
Cooper has been hobbling the last couple of series as well

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 04:39:28 EDT »

Heck of a fight by this Tennessee team. The final score isn't going to reflect it. It's easy to say we don't have the depth to compete for 60 minutes because it's so obviously true. But, sadly, it's a problem that's only going to exacerbate itself the next couple of years. It's quite a catch 22. We desperately need a signature win to turn the momentum on the recruiting trail, but we're so perilously thin that getting that signature win is going to prove very difficult to come by.
We must get back to the middle of the pack SEC before we can get to the top.  

I agree that a big win is needed, but I think the most likely path to get some depth is to find some kids with ability but who are not necessarily highly rated and coach them up.  We aren't going to recruit the cream of the crop at this point, but we must have a serviceable 2-deep roster to compete week-in and week-out.

I have more faith that this staff can do that than I did at the beginning of the year.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 04:51:06 EDT »

They will grow with what happened today.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2021, 04:56:42 EDT »

Our O puts our D in bad spots against good teams.....D can hold out just so long and then the gates open.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2021, 05:34:07 EDT »

Our O puts our D in bad spots against good teams.....D can hold out just so long and then the gates open.
That's true, but isn't it a double-edged sword? I'm not a football coach, but it seemed that all of our big plays came because the defense was not given time to get into correct alignments.  Without the up-tempo, we likely don't get the TDs and aren't within 7 late in the game against this team.

I'm not suggesting that your statement is incorrect.  Time of possession was 40:26 to 19:34.  With a defense that is paper thin in depth, that is not a good statistic but the fast-paced offense did keep us in the game longer than I expected.

I'm amazed at the effectiveness of this defense given the fact that they are so thin in serviceable back-ups at basically all positions.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 04:42:36 EDT »

We must get back to the middle of the pack SEC before we can get to the top.  

I agree that a big win is needed, but I think the most likely path to get some depth is to find some kids with ability but who are not necessarily highly rated and coach them up.  We aren't going to recruit the cream of the crop at this point, but we must have a serviceable 2-deep roster to compete week-in and week-out.

I have more faith that this staff can do that than I did at the beginning of the year.

It seems to me we are handling middle of the pack pretty well considering we dominated Mizzou and Junior. We likely will crush Vandy also.

That means by definition, we are no worse than 4th in the East - middle of the pack - and with a win vs Kentucky could lay claim to third.

Now, I realize that Vandy is the worse team in the league by a mile, and that it likely is between Junior and Mizzou for second worst. The only Wes team that either could beat is LSU just because LSU is so screwed up, and even then thats a big if.

But lets face it, Poot and Botch would have played down to the competition. Coming into this season Mizzou and Junior were our peers, like it or not, and we handled them.

Ill allow myself a slight bit of optimism. Im past trying to predict the future but I like the way this team is playing right now.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: