VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 03:28:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Herb or anyone who follows the baseball team closely  (Read 2053 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:16:10 EDT »

Tell me about this new artificial surface at LNS. I get that the "grass" is artificial. But what is the infield "dirt"? Is it made of the same material as the grass, just colored brown? Players are sliding headfirst in that stuff and coming up with clean uniforms, so it's clearly not real. The pitcher's mound looks legit, anyway.

Very promising start for the team, even though they really haven't played anyone yet. Hopefully they can at least be competitive in SEC play this year.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:37:27 EDT »

All I can find is this: http://www.utdailybeacon.com/sports/baseball/tennessee-baseball-set-to-open-season-on-new-turf-field/article_41765754-2feb-11e9-882b-4f6305479819.html

The pitcher's mound is dirt but that's the only part of the infield that is. I can't find anything that says what the infield is made of.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:52:37 EDT »

Seems Vandy got that field a couple of years ago. First time I saw it I thought what the crap?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:44:32 EDT »

Baseball Vols went into today 15-0.....Lost the series final to Fresno State 10-7.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:55:41 EDT »

As Droner said, all of the field it turf except for the pitchers mound.  It's the same turf on the "skinned" part of the infield and on the warning track, just a different color to make it look like a real baseball field. 

In some places, Vandy and UofL included, the pitcher's mound is even turf.  And there isn't a "real" home plate on the new turf fields.  The plate is turf, as well. 

A lot of the local high schools haveeven gone to turf around the plate area. 

I'm not a big fan of turf for baseball, but I understand why they have gone that direction.  With college baseball starting in January and going through the traditional rainy part of the year here, it's necessary.  UT doesn't have a seperate practice area, so they have to use the stadium for everything.  Plus it's giving them the opportunity to host more high school tourneys and fall and summer showcase events that are such a big part of recruiting now. 

Bottom line - Vitello has them playing hard and looking like an SEC team for the first time in a decade.  He wanted the turf, and as long as the program improves then so be it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:47 EDT »

This is the company that installed it:

http://www.cgcfields.com/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:56 EDT »

As Droner said, all of the field it turf except for the pitchers mound.  It's the same turf on the "skinned" part of the infield and on the warning track, just a different color to make it look like a real baseball field. 

In some places, Vandy and UofL included, the pitcher's mound is even turf.  And there isn't a "real" home plate on the new turf fields.  The plate is turf, as well. 

A lot of the local high schools haveeven gone to turf around the plate area. 

I'm not a big fan of turf for baseball, but I understand why they have gone that direction.  With college baseball starting in January and going through the traditional rainy part of the year here, it's necessary.  UT doesn't have a seperate practice area, so they have to use the stadium for everything.  Plus it's giving them the opportunity to host more high school tourneys and fall and summer showcase events that are such a big part of recruiting now. 

Bottom line - Vitello has them playing hard and looking like an SEC team for the first time in a decade.  He wanted the turf, and as long as the program improves then so be it. 

Interesting. I thought it would a least be "simulated" dirt, like the rubber pellets they use with artificial surfaces in football. Seems like sliding and pitching especially would be very different on a "grass" surface.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:26:54 EDT »

Interesting. I thought it would a least be "simulated" dirt, like the rubber pellets they use with artificial surfaces in football. Seems like sliding and pitching especially would be very different on a "grass" surface.

To clarify, the mound at UT is dirt.  But that's the only place on the field that is dirt. 

Some schools with turf, Vandy and UofL being two, even have turf on the pitchers mound. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 05:30:23 EDT »

And I am still hearing, by the way, that Randy Boyd is going to build a stadium in the Old City and bring back the Smokies and put one of his  Appy Rookie League franchises that he owns in Smokies Park.  And I am hearing that UT will play some games, possibly their SEC games, as the new Old City park.  It would allow UT to generate more revenue because they could sell alcohol there. 

And UT and the Smokies wouldn't overlap much.  The Smokies don't begin their season until around the second week of April, so UT and the Smokies could coordinate their schedules pretty easily. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: